• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mark Ii Radiator Blown

Malaka2

my mark ii radiator crack the surface near cap area. now leaking coolant so much. I don't know what to do. can it be repaired or what. I asked the agents about the price. the said about 1.40k for the radiator and it should be wait least 2 months. what can i dp now. guys, please need some advice..

my mark ii radiator crack the surface near cap area. now leaking coolant so much. I don't know what to do. can it be repaired or what. I asked the agents about the price. the said about 1.40k for the radiator and it should be wait least 2 months. what can i dp now. guys, please need some advice..

There are guys who repair radiator cracks, but depending on the place the crack happened and the size of it.

what is the price you got from agents is it 1.40K that means 1400. Or is it 14,000. Some do brass repair and will cost around 4500 - 6000.

EDIT: patching up the crack with brass or glue wont work. Best is rediator replacement or Top tank replacement with propler experience guy.

Edited by MkX

sorry to hear that mate. i suppose after the engine overheating pretty bad sometime it would have made the radiator top plastic brittle and prone to cracking.

anyways....VVTI and I were down in delkanda area recently and saw a MK2 engine for sale with japan lanka.

chances are...those places might have a radiator you can buy for a lot cheaper.

IMHO that would be the best option for you.

You can also checkout pioneer motors in panchikawatta as they sell the top tank plastic for relatively rare cars. Should cost you about 8~10k if i'm not wrong. You can take this new top tank and get a good radiator guy to fix it for you. I'm sure pioneer chaps can recommend a place for you.

this too is a good repair option but you can do it only once as the clips holding the plastic top to the radiator can't be meddled with too many times.

alternatively you can opt for a copper tank top providing your radiator core is not aluminum. most cars nowadays have aluminum cores that doesn't work well with welding for obvious reasons.

I would advice not to attempt to repair the crack with any cold welding like JBweld or similar epoxies.

repair guys would say it would hold but with experience i can tell you it wont. and it will give away in the worst possible situation.

good luck and keep us posted :)

Radiator Price Rs.140,000

I would advice not to attempt to repair the crack with any cold welding like JBweld or similar epoxies.

repair guys would say it would hold but with experience i can tell you it wont. and it will give away in the worst possible situation.

good luck and keep us posted :)

Similar crack happened in my fathers corolla wagon it's about 5 inches. It was plastic/fiber glass top tank. There was a guy in Kandy, he replaced the top tank with copper or some metal tank. So far not problems went one or two long trip after the repair. So far so good.

In our case we could went around 50Km with maintaining low RPM without loosing much coolent. But still any kind of glue din't work on it. So best option is just change the top tank only.

Similar crack happened in my fathers corolla wagon it's about 5 inches. It was plastic/fiber glass top tank. There was a guy in Kandy, he replaced the top tank with copper or some metal tank. So far not problems went one or two long trip after the repair. So far so good.

In our case we could went around 50Km with maintaining low RPM without loosing much coolent. But still any kind of glue din't work on it. So best option is just change the top tank only.

machang my point was that some folks will advice people to patch up the busted top tank with JBweld or similar epoxy glue saying it will hold.

but as the system pressures up and with constant expansion and shrinking as the temp changes...these epoxies will come off...

replacing the top tank is a different story....

if one can find either copper or plastic replacement top tank...you can find a better solution.

the copper tank will take away from the "original look" look while the plastic will not attract too much of attention... especially if you're planning on flogging the car off :)

Mkx would you please tell me the guy who fixed ur car.. Coz i'm also kandy. May b i can do somethng with him.

It is located between Katugastota police station and Mag city. In the river side. There is only one place in that 200m streach if i'm not mistaken. Check out that place. If you have any issues finding the place PM me i'll give you the exact place.

Shanx, I though bout that too.. You're right.. But now I should do something to fix this before sell it.. I don't want to victim another one.. These days I've so much depressed. Last week my brother wrecked dad's yaris and now I wrecked mine..

I think you should be little more carefull with the car. You did engine overhaul dint you? After the overhaul car should be better I suppose.

machang my point was that some folks will advice people to patch up the busted top tank with JBweld or similar epoxy glue saying it will hold.

but as the system pressures up and with constant expansion and shrinking as the temp changes...these epoxies will come off...

replacing the top tank is a different story....

if one can find either copper or plastic replacement top tank...you can find a better solution.

the copper tank will take away from the "original look" look while the plastic will not attract too much of attention... especially if you're planning on flogging the car off :)

Yes correct. (I edited my 1st reply, even I also don't recommend it by any means)

Patching up with various stuff will not work. As I said we had long but still light crack where we can run over 50Km without loosing collent with moderate RPMs. Father tried with different brands of glue nothing worked up. So finally he replace the top tank with metal one. And this guy did decent job with matt-finish paid on the top tank.

Edited by MkX

Shanx, I though bout that too.. You're right.. But now I should do something to fix this before sell it.. I don't want to victim another one.. These days I've so much depressed. Last week my brother wrecked dad's yaris and now I wrecked mine..

Yup, fix it, sell it!

Guys, My advice DON'T EVER EVER TRY TO REPAIRS A PLASTIC RADIATOR EVER.. They failed to repair the damage and there's no upper tank to separatly to buy any store in SL for my model.. So they glued and patched it, now the worst case is it is leaking again badly and completely ruin the radiator itself.. Most bad situation is vehicle stuck in remote area in down south.. So now I have to hire a carrier too..

Guys, My advice DON'T EVER EVER TRY TO REPAIRS A PLASTIC RADIATOR EVER.. They failed to repair the damage and there's no upper tank to separatly to buy any store in SL for my model.. So they glued and patched it, now the worst case is it is leaking again badly and completely ruin the radiator itself.. Most bad situation is vehicle stuck in remote area in down south.. So now I have to hire a carrier too..