• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What A Funny People We Have

Sumiya

Hi Guys

Today morning i saw a maruti car having Bonet Scoop on the roof.I dont know whether that bugger

knows what it is called (bonet scoop) if he knows this name he will not hook it there on the roof.

Since it has been a trend fixing a bonet scoop here ,even though it has a task beyond that

what a funny guys we have :D

don't know whether has fixed it on the roof to get ventilation to the driving cabin :unsure:

thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Guys

Today morning i saw a maruti car having Bonet Scoop on the roof.I dont know whether that bugger

knows what it is called (bonet scoop) if he knows this name he will not hook it there on the roof.

Since it has been a trend fixing a bonet scoop here ,even though it has a task beyond that

don't know whether has fixed it on the roof to get ventilation to the driving cabin :unsure:

thanks

Regards

sumith

It could be a roof scoop too :rolleyes: im sure its Prodrive Maruti

well... thats a roof scoop i guess... whats so funny in that mate??? <_<

Hi Mate

Yes it is i know, where in the world people fix bonnet scoop on the roof , the function of the bonnet scoop and roof scoop are different, roof scoop's function similer to a spoiler where bonnet scoop's task is different mate. i initiated this thread seem a buger who has fixed a bonnet scoop on the roof , not the particular picture there :)

these fancy works are funny for me anyway for some people it might not :lol:

thanks

Regards

sumith

Hi Mate

Yes it is i know, where in the world people fix bonnet scoop on the roof , the function of the bonnet scoop and roof scoop are different, roof scoop's function similer to a spoiler where bonnet scoop's task is different mate. i initiated this thread seem a buger who has fixed a bonnet scoop on the roof , not the particular picture there :)

thanks

Regards

sumith

I would advice you to get your facts right before laughing at others .

Roof scoop have nothing to do with aerodynamics , it is there to draw cooler air to the cabin . Also if the car is mid/rear engined then it can be used to do the same functionality done by a bonnet scoop . On the other hand spoiler has everything to do with aerodynamics.

I would advice you to get your facts right before laughing at others .

Roof scoop have nothing to do with aerodynamics , it is there to draw cooler air to the cabin . Also if the car is mid/rear engined then it can be used to do the same functionality done by a bonnet scoop . On the other hand spoiler has everything to do with aerodynamics.

yes mate

But there are different models to suit those two different purposes

Main purpose is avoid Pressured air which is called (external scoops)

other one is for venting as u said

keep in mind the main purpose is not venting (this is optional)

as i guess all cars from factory have some sort of ventilation system too rather than a need of scoop

..even though it has Ac or not.

thanks

Regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

yes mate

as i guess all cars from factory have some sort of ventilation system too rather than a need of scoop

thanks

Regards

sumith

would u care to explain the aero dynamical use of the roof scoop please

yes mate

thanks

Regards

sumith

I'm afraid you are completely wrong again mate ,

The main and the only reason to have a roof scoop is for venting, nothing else .

And these are mainly intended for rally cars where they cant afford to have AC due to Power concerns.

and again it has nothing to do with aerodynamics .if you know any please explain ..

Edited by AL998

Hi Guys

thanks

Regards

sumith

man u better upload a pic of what u saw, then this will be solved :)

Hi Mate

thanks

Regards

sumith

machan how can u recognize whether its a bonnet scoop or roof scoop???? because im thinking the scoops that are in NFS underground game :P

The main and the only reason to have a roof scoop is for venting, nothing else .

And these are mainly intended for rally cars where they cant afford to have AC due to Power concerns.

and again it has nothing to do with aerodynamics .if you know any please explain ..

Yea, the roof scoop provides nothing other than ventilation, in fact it is also called a roof vent. My guess is that it can kinda suck air into it as the car moves and might cause the car to slow down, I mean not significantly but somewhat ruin your aerodynamics

Edited by Killer-B

Can't agree more, venting is not the only reason, it can be an air intake to the rear/mid engined cars. Although, it won't/can't create a down force it'll still act as a spoiler by increasing the drag coefficient (creating obstacle to the air stream flows over the roof of the vehicle)

Can't agree more, venting is not the only reason, it can be an air intake to the rear/mid engined cars. Although, it won't/can't create a down force it'll still act as a spoiler by increasing the drag coefficient (creating obstacle to the air stream flows over the roof of the vehicle)

This is bad, isn't it? (I'm a little confused, because a spoiler has a beneft, and you say "it'll still act as a spoiler" so did you imply it has a similar benefit? on the other hand manufacturers spend R&D $ to reduce drag coefficient)

On a front-engine Maruti, it can't be for air intake for the engine. So my guess it was either for ventilation (would need some kind of shutter inside else it would be a bugger in the rain) or purely for appearance (with no opening to the cabin)

This is bad, isn't it? (I'm a little confused, because a spoiler has a beneft, and you say "it'll still act as a spoiler" so did you imply it has a similar benefit? on the other hand manufacturers spend R&D $ to reduce drag coefficient)

On a front-engine Maruti, it can't be for air intake for the engine. So my guess it was either for ventilation (would need some kind of shutter inside else it would be a bugger in the rain) or purely for appearance (with no opening to the cabin)

i would say its for appearance. because i have seen many cars with bonnet scoops but that does nothing to the engine of that car :jumping-smiley-013:

what's the benefit of the spoiler? to spoil the air stream flows over the roof of the vehicle and reduce the low pressure zone which creates due to the speedy air flow (refer to bernoulli principle we learnt back in school ;) )

spoiler will help to balance the up force created by the air stream which flows underneath of the vehicle and the down force created by the design itself. Having said that whale tales or wings will create a down force and improve handling, not the use of spoiler.

About fuel efficiency, a super car which has a a massive mid/rear engine, this roof scoop drag increase would be nothing, same goes to WRC cars where it's being used as mode of cabin ventilation. (This same mechanism is used in some heavy vehicle cabin ventilation, Prime movers and some trucks)

So having roof scoop as an after market equipment will provide some form of spoiling air stream over the roof (not the same level of spoiling of a wide spoiler) and increase drag and hence adverse impact on fuel efficiency.

I'm sure that's one of reason to made this funny as well, why to add extra burden to this 3 pot engine. :D

what's the benefit of the spoiler? to spoil the air stream flows over the roof of the vehicle and reduce the low pressure zone which creates due to the speedy air flow (refer to bernoulli principle we learnt back in school ;) )

I wasn't lucky enough (or unlucky enough) to study bernoulli at school. Or maybe I've just forgotten. But I did read up about it on Wikipedia before my last post ;)

spoiler will help to balance the up force created by the air stream which flows underneath of the vehicle and the down force created by the design itself. Having said that whale tales or wings will create a down force and improve handling, not the use of spoiler.

AFAIK this helps with stability (esp. at high speeds, which that Maruti may or may not reach, but we're already thrashing that elsewhere) but I wasn't sure whether it increased the drag coefficient or not

So having roof scoop as an after market equipment will provide some form of spoiling air stream over the roof (not the same level of spoiling of a wide spoiler) and increase drag and hence adverse impact on fuel efficiency.

I'm sure that's one of reason to made this funny as well, why to add extra burden to this 3 pot engine. :D

OK, so you were saying it was bad (for drag), which is what I was hoping you were saying :)

OK, so you were saying it was bad (for drag), which is what I was hoping you were saying :)

it's good for a vehicle which has a curved shape body where it can tend to air borne at extremely high speeds where M800 can't achieve and I said it already indicating it's additional drag is a burden on the 3 pot plant it has. Again it's up for personal preferences, his car his money.

it's good for a vehicle which has a curved shape body where it can tend to air borne at extremely high speeds where M800 can't achieve and I said it already indicating it's additional drag is a burden on the 3 pot plant it has. Again it's up for personal preferences, his car his money.

cannot agree more about the extra drag with a roof scoop as you said.

Well theoretically speaking ,roof scoop will not spoil the air flow as same as a spoiler ,

Roof scoop will be propelling air in to the cabin or to a mid/rear engine, so there will be spoiling but completely a different kind of spoiling .In a way it will work opposite as a spoiler

But as I said its highly " theoretical" , this will have almost no effect on the maruti except for the drag.

Since we are on the topic ,

I don't see any difference in a Maruti having a roof scoop over a Civic having a body kit and a loud exhaust when there is nothing done under the bonnet. Both look stupid .