• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cannot Slow Down The Idle Speed !

Hyundaisantro

Question

I have a Hyundai Santro (1100CC EFI- Manual ). Although the idle speed is set to a certain value during the engine tuneup, its seems too much for me :angry: . So needs to slow it down.

Tried to adjust air/fuel ratio lever in the throttle body but its already turned to minimum. so how can i slow it down?

And also what are the best adjust limits for maximum fuel efficient run?

Needs experts help please..

Regards

:D

14 answers to this question

I have a Hyundai Santro (1100CC EFI- Manual ). Although the idle speed is set to a certain value during the engine tuneup, its seems too much for me :angry: . So needs to slow it down.

Tried to adjust air/fuel ratio lever in the throttle body but its already turned to minimum. so how can i slow it down?

And also what are the best adjust limits for maximum fuel efficient run?

Needs experts help please..

Regards

:D

what's the idling rpm now with and without ac?

"Tried to adjust air/fuel ratio lever in the throttle body"

not entirely sure what this is though!

usually there is only the accelerator pedal freeplay adjuster cos EFI motors use the ecu signal to adjust fuel air ratio.

The other way to get the idling down is to retard the ignition by adjusting the delco unit.

On fuel efficiency

do a search on the forum... there are a few topics discussing those and there are quite a few generic pointers that will suit any vehicle

Tried to adjust air/fuel ratio lever in the throttle body

:speechless-smiley-003:

BTW is this is DIY job ? clean the throttle, TPS, and still if the idle is too high then u can reduce the idle from the accelerator cable, but if u not familiar with this, then take it to a garage cus sometimes when u reduce the idle too much for non AC when u turn on the AC it drops more,

what's the idling rpm now with and without ac?

Sorry it doesn't have a RPM Meter.

not entirely sure what this is though!

I'm talking about the adjusting screw in the Throttle body.

usually there is only the accelerator pedal freeplay adjuster cos EFI motors use the ecu signal to adjust fuel air ratio.

The other way to get the idling down is to retard the ignition by adjusting the delco unit.

no idea about this please...

On fuel efficiency

do a search on the forum... there are a few topics discussing those and there are quite a few generic pointers that will suit any vehicle

:speechless-smiley-003:

BTW is this is DIY job ? clean the throttle, TPS, and still if the idle is too high then u can reduce the idle from the accelerator cable, but if u not familiar with this, then take it to a garage cus sometimes when u reduce the idle too much for non AC when u turn on the AC it drops more,

I've adjusted the accelerator cable to minimum but the speed remains same.. I think i should clean the throttle again...

The Delco/distributor is usually connected to the right side of the crankcase and spark plug wires come out of this.

again...i'm not exactly sure of your model...most cars have markings on their delco unit that shows the direction to turn the delco to advance or retard ignition timing.... there is an adjuster bolt and once this is loosened you can move the delco unit up and down

if you're not familiar with mechanical stuff...show it to a decent mechanic... quite an easy fix!

The Delco/distributor is usually connected to the right side of the crankcase and spark plug wires come out of this.

again...i'm not exactly sure of your model...most cars have markings on their delco unit that shows the direction to turn the delco to advance or retard ignition timing.... there is an adjuster bolt and once this is loosened you can move the delco unit up and down

if you're not familiar with mechanical stuff...show it to a decent mechanic... quite an easy fix!

Hi Hyundaisantro

if you are not confidence about doing this,Best thing is that before you move Delco, mark it with the engine housing and turn it bit to retard, advance ,and you may feel engine become smoothing at a point, if it didn't work keep the delco to the original position and go to a mechanic :) Usualy delco cover or engine housing has A (advance) R(retards) mark on it.you may need to turn it to retard side a bit as ripper said (most probably it should be turned to right hand side).

thanks

regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

Changing the ignition timing will not cure idle speed problem. If you haven't touched the distributor yet, then leave it alone.

in some cars there is a adjusting screw in the accelerator itself ,this is one of the screws which holds the accelerator pedal.You will get these symptoms when that screw is loose.This is something lot of people do not think of ,but I have experienced this in the past .

Changing the ignition timing will not cure idle speed problem. If you haven't touched the distributor yet, then leave it alone.

in some cars there is a adjusting screw in the accelerator itself ,this is one of the screws which holds the accelerator pedal.You will get these symptoms when that screw is loose.This is something lot of people do not think of ,but I have experienced this in the past .

I think he mentioned this idle up bolt is set to the lowest and still the speed is higher.

Hey,

Check on your ECU of you have one with your model. (im not quite sure) Coz one of ma frineds had the same issue (FB15) but when ECU is removed and checked one of the chips had literally BURNED leaving burn marks on the steel cover too.. Believe me, but the ECU report gave no indication of that. Of corz, it monitors about other sensors, ECU itself has no sensor... :action-smiley-060:

I think he mentioned this idle up bolt is set to the lowest and still the speed is higher.

No machan , he was referring to the adjustment in the throttle body. If he hasn't checked the one on the pedal then its worth having a look before going to big conclusions .

No machan , he was referring to the adjustment in the throttle body. If he hasn't checked the one on the pedal then its worth having a look before going to big conclusions .

Adiós, yeah simple things first. This can be tested by checking the tension of the cable, if the cable is tensioned when the pedal is in idle position, yes that's a possibility.

oh well... recently my idle went up after the knock sensor wire coming off the sensor.

got the check light too.. at the time i didn't know what the issue was...

i managed to get the idle back to 700~800 after fiddling with the delco... before the the revs were hitting 1500's

after getting the error code issue sorted and the knock sensor connected...advanced my ignition timing to normal