• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How Do Manufacturers Decide On A V6 Or A Straight 6?

sharkster

Question

Moved this question from a discussion on another thread...

What do u guys think are the reasons behind a manufacturer's choice between a V configuration or an in-line configuration for a 6 cylinder engine?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

Would u hav any particular preference?

p.s. Newbi if u hav anything to more to add to this question let me know...

8 answers to this question

Moved this question from a discussion on another thread...

What do u guys think are the reasons behind a manufacturer's choice between a V configuration or an in-line configuration for a 6 cylinder engine?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

Would u hav any particular preference?

p.s. Newbi if u hav anything to more to add to this question let me know...

my guess is

straight 6 gives more power but engine vibration is higher than v6

v6 much better reduce the vibration or another thing engine bay space

thats what i think, anyway guys

what do u think

bye

well, one reasons manufactureres go for V6s rather than inlines6s is that they take up less room... the inline engine is pretty long and needs a longer engine bay. fo example yuo cant give a car like a 3 series or a C class longer engine bay cos that'd blow the cars propotions. And if i'm not mistaken some cars have V6s installed in them in a transverse position... (i hope i used the right word, what i mean is the crankshaft is positioned from left to right and not front to back of the car... saw this in a Jag X-type 2.5...

In my opinion, i think an inline 6 would give you more room and options to modify it further as the engine bay is bigger and there's more room to add mods... example the Skyline... the specialized tuned models are numorous...

thats my 2 cents :blink:

interesting thread Sharkster!!!

well, one reasons manufactureres go for V6s rather than inlines6s is that they take up less room... the inline engine is pretty long and needs a longer engine bay. fo example yuo cant give a car like a 3 series or a C class longer engine bay cos that'd blow the cars propotions. And if i'm not mistaken some cars have V6s installed in them in a transverse position... (i hope i used the right word, what i mean is the crankshaft is positioned from left to right and not front to back of the car... saw this in a Jag X-type 2.5...

In my opinion, i think an inline 6 would give you more room and options to modify it further as the engine bay is bigger and there's more room to add mods... example the Skyline... the specialized tuned models are numorous...

thats my 2 cents :blink:

interesting thread Sharkster!!!

gud point abt d space...but ALL 6 cylinder BMW engines are straight 6's which means they poke a straight 6 into the 3 series...how do u explain that?

p.s. even the cefiro has a transverse V6

Edited by sharkster

60° V6 versus Inline-6

As space efficiency becomes more and more important, most car makers favour V6. The most influential V6 was perhaps Alfa Romeo’s 2.5-litre 60° V6 used in the GTV6. It established a reputation for V6 that it can be compact, powerful and smooth. An equivalent inline-6 would have never fit the small and sloping engine compartment of that car. Compare the shape of BMW with the Alfa and you’ll know the packaging advantage of V6s.

Straight-six engines are nearly impossible to be used in front-wheel drive cars as well. Even a car as wide as Volvo S80 has to introduce the world’s shortest gearbox in order to make space for the 2.9-litre straight-six mounted transversely in the engine compartment.

Longitudinal mounted inline-6 doesn’t have such problems, but it engages too much space in north-south direction, thus engage some space which would have contributed to cockpit room.

However, BMW is still loyal to inline-6 engines. Ultimately, inline-6 engine is more efficient yet smoother. V6 has more energy loss because it duplicates valve gears and camshafts (which increase frictional loss), while the use of 2 cylinder banks leads to more heat loss. In terms of production cost, although V6 has 3 fewer main bearings, it has more valve gears - which is getting more and more costly these days, with the introduction of twin-cam, hydraulic tappets / finger follower and variable valve timing. Inline-6 is going to be cheaper than equivalent V6.

Link: http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth3.htm

gud point abt d space...but ALL 6 cylinder BMW engines are straight 6's which means they poke a straight 6 into the 3 series...how do u explain that?

BMW 6 cyl's are ALL inline? wow. i dint know that. i guess

i guess all bigger cars (Cefiro) and power-needy (Jags) that need front wheel drive and a biger engine would have no choice but to go for a transverse V6...

Monanumu's article is pretty good i'd say.. it pretty much describes the story...

The Wiki has this

Now this topic is interesting, considering the GT-R is moving from RB to VQ. Space won't be the issue here, coz even the new GT-R has a long engine bay. I mean, putting long engine bays on sports cars is not much of an issue, is it? Thats the look that goes with the sports car :D long hood, small passenger compartment, RWD.... Like the Skyline, Viper or Aston.... :D

I'm guessing all 6-cyl BMs have RWD? :D

Yeah, even that Eunos had a transverse V6.... no room to poke even a finger in that engine bay :D

However, BMW is still loyal to inline-6 engines. Ultimately, inline-6 engine is more efficient yet smoother. V6 has more energy loss because it duplicates valve gears and camshafts (which increase frictional loss), while the use of 2 cylinder banks leads to more heat loss. In terms of production cost, although V6 has 3 fewer main bearings, it has more valve gears - which is getting more and more costly these days, with the introduction of twin-cam, hydraulic tappets / finger follower and variable valve timing. Inline-6 is going to be cheaper than equivalent V6.

Link: http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth3.htm

This is what I wanted to hear! Thanks Nuaim

as i know all BMWs except the 1 series are RWD

not sure abt d 1 series but im pretty sure abt the rest