• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ect Sensor

anjulau78

Hi,

I have EE 102 corolla wagon. Need to replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor (it is look like some brass nut). So I have bought an matching ECT sensor from a used parts shop and going to do the job by myself :rolleyes:. It is good to use PVC thread seal to wrap around the thread area of the ECT sensor, prior to installing?

Thanks

Hi,

I have EE 102 corolla wagon. Need to replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor (it is look like some brass nut). So I have bought an matching ECT sensor from a used parts shop and going to do the job by myself :rolleyes:. It is good to use PVC thread seal to wrap around the thread area of the ECT sensor, prior to installing?

Thanks

I don't think it'll do any good as this application suppose to work with high temperature and PVC thread seal doesn't have the capability of handling that temp. Better use some silicone sealant which can be used for such applications and which is being used for radiator hoses. A gasket sealant would serve the purpose I guess.

I don't think it'll do any good as this application suppose to work with high temperature and PVC thread seal doesn't have the capability of handling that temp. Better use some silicone sealant which can be used for such applications and which is being used for radiator hoses. A gasket sealant would serve the purpose I guess.

why would you want to use a thread seal in the first place????

have done a similar thing recently and the sensor sealed in properly without the need of any sealants

Thanks Harsha & Ripper.

I still not installed the new one. first I will try it without any sealants. Secondly go for a sealnt as Harsha Mentioned.

Thank U both...,

Edited by anjulau78

proper thing too use i think is "Loctite". There are two types one for permanent and other is for temporary, hence comes in two colors Red and Blue. wonder if you could find these in local market? if it's hard to find, why not try without any of it like Ripper said?

proper thing too use i think is "Loctite". There are two types one for permanent and other is for temporary, hence comes in two colors Red and Blue. wonder if you could find these in local market? if it's hard to find, why not try without any of it like Ripper said?

I've used gasket sealant which can be bought from any spare parts shop and comes in black tube and ash/grey in colour. Not hassle when it comes to remove the part again. Would loctite make a permanent bond and therefore become a bi*ch when it comes to remove the thermostat one day.

I've used gasket sealant which can be bought from any spare parts shop and comes in black tube and ash/grey in colour. Not hassle when it comes to remove the part again. Would loctite make a permanent bond and therefore become a bi*ch when it comes to remove the thermostat one day.

loctite is the just the brand name machang and they make quite a few products including a super glue kinda thing, the more commonly known loctite that make sire bolts dont fall off etc...and i think they also have a kinda anti-seize compound which is good if there's a risk bolts and stuff fusing with the nuts. no pun intended :P

I've used an anti seized compound thing on one of my mo bike exhausts. a tube was supplied by the pipe company to keep screws getting fused to the pipe body especially at higher temps etc...

loctite is the just the brand name machang and they make quite a few products including a super glue kinda thing, the more commonly known loctite that make sire bolts dont fall off etc...and i think they also have a kinda anti-seize compound which is good if there's a risk bolts and stuff fusing with the nuts. no pun intended :P

I've used an anti seized compound thing on one of my mo bike exhausts. a tube was supplied by the pipe company to keep screws getting fused to the pipe body especially at higher temps etc...

thanks for the lesson on loctite :P

This is what happens when you have products serving entirely two different purposes, confuse consumers like me :D

Edited by harshansenadhir

Anti-seize "lubricant" with Mo-bike exhaust.... :P

Edited by Ruslan

Recently replaced the coolant temperature censor and it doesn't need any sealants. If it does the part would have come with one.

Kumudu,

The thing was, I bought it from a used part shop and dont know whether it has all the parts ( washer or some thing ) . any way I have install the sensor without any additional sealent two days ago and it is "So far So Good...!"

Edited by anjulau78