• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Cost For Engine Compression Test

Sumiya

Question

Hi Guys

I am looking for a place to get done a engine compression test for my classic ?

is there any place that i can get it done on reasonable price ?what is the cost of Compression test for

4 cylinder engine at the moment ? :)

thanks

Regards

sumith

9 answers to this question

Hi Guys

I am looking for a place to get done a engine compression test for my classic ?

is there any place that i can get it done on reasonable price ?what is the cost of Compression test for

4 cylinder engine at the moment ? :)

thanks

Regards

sumith

Dear Sumiya,

I did a compression test for a six cylinder industrial engine from Dim* which was about 25,000

But I believe it is too much. Edirisingh@ or L@l & Nih@l will be able to do the job at a much more reasonable price.

Dear Sumiya,

I did a compression test for a six cylinder industrial engine from Dim* which was about 25,000

But I believe it is too much. Edirisingh@ or L@l & Nih@l will be able to do the job at a much more reasonable price.

Hi WEDA

thanks dude, checked with Edirisinghe seems they don't do these jobs

tried to contact lal and nihal they don't pick the phone,

25K is too higher, rather going for that amount i would have made my engine without doing compression test :rolleyes:

since it is classic , stuffs are not much expensive :)

any other member has done this recently ?

any way thanks dude

regards

sumith

Hi WEDA

thanks dude, checked with Edirisinghe seems they don't do these jobs

tried to contact lal and nihal they don't pick the phone,

25K is too higher, rather going for that amount i would have made my engine without doing compression test :rolleyes:

since it is classic , stuffs are not much expensive :)

any other member has done this recently ?

any way thanks dude

regards

sumith

I assume 'weda' was speaking about a diesel engine from what he said .Diesel engines needs an expensive tool to do a compression test comparing to a petrol engine .Plus it takes more time than a petrol engine to do as well .So If your engine is a petrol then you might be able to get it done for cheap.

if garages are quoting more than 3000-4000 then why don't you buy a tool and do it your self. (assuming you have a petrol engine)

I assume 'weda' was speaking about a diesel engine from what he said .Diesel engines needs an expensive tool to do a compression test comparing to a petrol engine .Plus it takes more time than a petrol engine to do as well .So If your engine is a petrol then you might be able to get it done for cheap.

if garages are quoting more than 3000-4000 then why don't you buy a tool and do it your self. (assuming you have a petrol engine)

Hi AL998

sometimes earlier also i had that in my mind to buy one and checked the prices it is all very from place to place from model to model 10K - it is around 50 -60 etc, so if i buy a creeper one i have question about their accuracy,if i buy expensive one is useless for this work only. :)

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi AL998

sometimes earlier also i had that in my mind to buy one and checked the prices it is all very from place to place from model to model 10K - it is around 50 -60 etc, so if i buy a creeper one i have question about their accuracy,if i buy expensive one is useless for this work only. :)

thanks

regards

sumith

If you buy a cheap one ,then you can test the accuracy of it by using on a vehicle which is running well.You shouldn't expect the same values from different cars but you can get a general idea.

Plus You will be able to see any compression drop comparing to other cylinders even if the tool not highly accurate .

If you are concern about the condition of your compression rings and worried that all 4 cylinders are leaking then you should do a "Cylinder leak down test " using a cylinder leakage tester .

Compression test is to compare the current compression with respect to standard values specified in the workshop manual.

If yours is a classic, have you got the standard values of the compression, or a shop manaul of that. This only measures the efficiency of the piston rings and sleeve wear.

Other than doing compression testing you may also check the blow by , dip stick and the inlet mainfold area.

Compression test is to compare the current compression with respect to standard values specified in the workshop manual.

If yours is a classic, have you got the standard values of the compression, or a shop manaul of that. This only measures the efficiency of the piston rings and sleeve wear.

Other than doing compression testing you may also check the blow by , dip stick and the inlet mainfold area.

Hi Weda

Yes dude i got workshop repair manual with all sort of data needed :)

thanks

Regards

sumith