• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil Decrease

Wasa

Question

Dear Experts,

I would like to know your opinion on the following matter of my AE 100.

I level up engine oil to the max mark during the service & after around 3000-4000 km, I noticed the level has gone down around 1cm. There's no any visible leak.

What would be the reason & what should I do for this?

Is it a costly repair?

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

Dear Experts,

I level up engine oil to the max mark during the service & after around 3000-4000 km, I noticed the level has gone down around 1cm. There's no any visible leak.

Is it a costly repair?

Thanks in advance.

Hi wasa

If there is no physical seen leak , probably your engine might burn engine oil, there may be oil leak

from your piston rings or valve seat to the combustion chamber,check the exhaust pipe and spark plugs

if those are oily and slugged wet, prprbebly that is the resaon

thanks

Regards

sumith

Dear Experts,

Is it a costly repair?

Thanks in advance.

it's normal for an older engine to burn a bit of engine oil due to wear on engine components...

and loosing that much of oil after 3~4k km's is not a big issue IMHO...

do you notice blue smoke upon startup in the morning and/or when accelerating hard...

usually if te engine burns a lot of oil it puts out blue smoke.

if it's from the top end through valve guides/seals etc...it tend to smoke upon startup but will fade away after a while

If the oil is seeping pass the piston rings and getting burnt the blue smoke will be there consistently and will be more visible upon acceleration

it's normal for an older engine to burn a bit of engine oil due to wear on engine components...

and loosing that much of oil after 3~4k km's is not a big issue IMHO...

do you notice blue smoke upon startup in the morning and/or when accelerating hard...

usually if te engine burns a lot of oil it puts out blue smoke.

if it's from the top end through valve guides/seals etc...it tend to smoke upon startup but will fade away after a while

If the oil is seeping pass the piston rings and getting burnt the blue smoke will be there consistently and will be more visible upon acceleration

Didn't know that leaks through valve guides/seals only occurring when the engine is cold. What's the reason behind this?

Further, if the oil leak is through piston rings, that too would minimize when engine reaches operating temperature due to expansion of rings.

There could be oil leaks and still may not be visible, for an example, if it leaks to t-belt housing or gearbox bell housing through crank/cam oil seals, chances are less that you would notice it.

Didn't know that leaks through valve guides/seals only occurring when the engine is cold. What's the reason behind this?

Further, if the oil leak is through piston rings, that too would minimize when engine reaches operating temperature due to expansion of rings.

There could be oil leaks and still may not be visible, for an example, if it leaks to t-belt housing or gearbox bell housing through crank/cam oil seals, chances are less that you would notice it.

maybe i didn't word it properly :(

when the car is parked and kept...oil accumulated in the top end of the motor will slowly start seeping into the combustion chamber. say you kept the car parked overnight there would be certain amount of oil collected in the chamber. And when you fire up the motor in the morning all this collected oil will burn putting out quite a bit of blue smoke. Once that oil is burnt the amount of smoke will noticeably reduce. In some instances you can hardly see any smoke at all.

this doesn't mean the oil is not leaking past the seals/guides. just that the quantity is less hence reduced smoke. It's kind of a dead giveaway for leaking top end seals.

I have this issue on my XR250... she runs fine after a while but smokes a bit on startup.

something i still haven't fixed but then again haven't ridden the bike in years :(

Thanks & appreceate your replies.

Yes when start in the morning some smoke is there & disappear later.

Also exaust end is slightly oily.

So could I fix the problem by replacing worn parts ? What are those & approximate cost ?

Thank you

Same symptoms have occurred on my EE102 car. (1300cc 4E-FE Engine). But engine oil consumption was too much higher than yours. Problem overcome with replacing rings-set and re-grind valves . Other all accessories came with engine overhaul kit. Has done it two month ago. Cost no more than 25K. I did not not used original Toyota parts except spark plugs but used “made in Japan”

Edited by anjulau78

maybe i didn't word it properly :(

when the car is parked and kept...oil accumulated in the top end of the motor will slowly start seeping into the combustion chamber. say you kept the car parked overnight there would be certain amount of oil collected in the chamber. And when you fire up the motor in the morning all this collected oil will burn putting out quite a bit of blue smoke. Once that oil is burnt the amount of smoke will noticeably reduce. In some instances you can hardly see any smoke at all.

this doesn't mean the oil is not leaking past the seals/guides. just that the quantity is less hence reduced smoke. It's kind of a dead giveaway for leaking top end seals.

I have this issue on my XR250... she runs fine after a while but smokes a bit on startup.

something i still haven't fixed but then again haven't ridden the bike in years :(

Thanks ripper, that explains a sudden puff of blue smoke and if it continues to say few minutes, there's a possibility of piston rings slightly worn out and oil seeps through piston rings when cold. As it expands rings will become tight with the cylinder bore and oil seeping stops.

Thanks & appreceate your replies.

Yes when start in the morning some smoke is there & disappear later.

Also exaust end is slightly oily.

So could I fix the problem by replacing worn parts ? What are those & approximate cost ?

Thank you

if the tail pipe end is oily, there's a high chance of rings are worn out.

Another suggestion is, since it's the last bits of the engine, use a cheap oil and change it in every 3000 kms. It'll sustain further as if you run 5000 kms in one oil change, the last few thousands will run with less oil in the engine therefore wear out will be faster. When viscosity goes down (oil become thin) it'll burn more oil (chances of oil seeping through the gap between oil ring and the bore is high), so when you reach 4000kms or so after the oil change, viscosity of oil is low where it'll burn oil rapidly and that explains why there's a significant drop in the engine oil level towards the end of that 5000km period.

If you can change oil at 3000km intervals, above issues will be addressed.

Edited by harshansenadhir

Thanks ripper, that explains a sudden puff of blue smoke and if it continues to say few minutes, there's a possibility of piston rings slightly worn out and oil seeps through piston rings when cold. As it expands rings will become tight with the cylinder bore and oil seeping stops.

if the tail pipe end is oily, there's a high chance of rings are worn out.

Another suggestion is, since it's the last bits of the engine, use a cheap oil and change it in every 3000 kms. It'll sustain further as if you run 5000 kms in one oil change, the last few thousands will run with less oil in the engine therefore wear out will be faster. When viscosity goes down (oil become thin) it'll burn more oil (chances of oil seeping through the gap between oil ring and the bore is high), so when you reach 4000kms or so after the oil change, viscosity of oil is low where it'll burn oil rapidly and that explains why there's a significant drop in the engine oil lever towards the end of that 5000km period.

If you can change oil at 3000km intervals, above issues will be addressed.

on a different note...

a used 5a-fe engine costs only about 20-25k from delkanda area without the ancillaries and you can get a "newer" engine from an ae110 cos they both share the same motor... except for the pain involved in paper work...i think dropping an engine is the cheaper way out rather than trying to overhaul one at much higher cost

when the car is parked and stored ... oil accumulated in the top of the engine slowly begin to seep into the combustion chamber. that keeps the car parked overnight there a certain amount of oil collected in the room. And when you start the engine in the morning all the collected oil will burn a bit of blue smoke. When the oil is burned the smoke is significantly reduced. In some cases, you can barely see the smoke at all.