• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ford Mondeo 2002

DMendis

When looking for some Mazda cars (BH or BJ), I came across a Ford Mondeo 2002 model, i think its MK2 or MK3. It is at a car sale and the condition looks ok. The sale guy says 1.35 M and any idea of this vehicle's fuel consumption and parts availability.

The car has been manufactured in Belgium. How do you rate this compared to BHALP and BJ5P? I am looking for a fuel economy and low maintenance cost. Was looking for Corolla 110 or Mazda BHALP or BJ5P. Can anyone help me with choosing one?

Earlier I have used a Ford Laser GIHA 1989 model for 5 years but it was not economical in fuel.

well I was looking at buying one until the deal fell through at the last momen.t It was a blue mondeo with a two tone leather interior. The rear was 2002 and it was on its 3rd owner. De silvas estimated it at 1.550 and the owner wanted 1.45 million. Did quite a bit of research on the car and it seemed like a really good buy had the sale not have fallen through. BTW its a MK3.

well I was looking at buying one until the deal fell through at the last momen.t It was a blue mondeo with a two tone leather interior. The rear was 2002 and it was on its 3rd owner. De silvas estimated it at 1.550 and the owner wanted 1.45 million. Did quite a bit of research on the car and it seemed like a really good buy had the sale not have fallen through. BTW its a MK3.

The one i mentioned has also been estimated for 1.550 and he was asking 1.45. But came down to 1.35. It is also 2 tone leather interior and has a sun roof. Since its an European make (Belgium), I was worried about the parts availability and 2nd hand value

The one i mentioned has also been estimated for 1.550 and he was asking 1.45. But came down to 1.35. It is also 2 tone leather interior and has a sun roof. Since its an European make (Belgium), I was worried about the parts availability and 2nd hand value

we might be talking about the same car here. Except I was trying to get it from a private seller and he refused to budge on the price. at 1.35 it seems like a good price. Does it have a sunroof? BTW, if it is the same car just recheck the steering. It seemed a little too stiff when I test drove it and I planning on having it fixed had I bought the car. Other than that it seemed like an excellent buy specially at 1.35.

Oh yeah wait a min.....here's a way to know if it's the car im talking about: is the left tail light cracked?

we might be talking about the same car here. Except I was trying to get it from a private seller and he refused to budge on the price. at 1.35 it seems like a good price. Does it have a sunroof? BTW, if it is the same car just recheck the steering. It seemed a little too stiff when I test drove it and I planning on having it fixed had I bought the car. Other than that it seemed like an excellent buy specially at 1.35.

Oh yeah wait a min.....here's a way to know if it's the car im talking about: is the left tail light cracked?

I cannot remember about the light. It has a black and cream color interior and dashboards are black, done 106000 Km. Its the third owner now and it is a H number (cannot remember the full series). It seems that the car is with Open papers.

BTW when did u inspect the vehicle? recently?

I cannot remember about the light. It has a black and cream color interior and dashboards are black, done 106000 Km. Its the third owner now and it is a H number (cannot remember the full series). It seems that the car is with Open papers.

BTW when did u inspect the vehicle? recently?

Yeah about a month and a half ago. I think you are taslking about the same one. The exterior was green right? and it had a reverse sensor mirror on top of the original. The car engine was in good condition and the pickup was decent for a car in it's class. Although I believe a timing belt change should be due on it. If you are purchasing it, for the love of god take that revese sensor mirror off. When I checked it out the wieght of that mirror caused the entire assembly to fall off and break the epoxy holding it. I think the owner reattached it.

When looking for some Mazda cars (BH or BJ), I came across a Ford Mondeo 2002 model, i think its MK2 or MK3. It is at a car sale and the condition looks ok. The sale guy says 1.35 M and any idea of this vehicle's fuel consumption and parts availability.

Frontier has recently taken over Ford agency; so at least there is an authorized agent. I heard they plan to setup a showroom and bring down new Fords.

But my experience with Euro parts has been it's much cheaper to buy from UK (eBay or even a dealer) provided you have a way to get parts down. I'm talking small parts like timing belt kit, water pump, etc - not doors :)

Should be same story for the Ford because the car was quite popular in UK.

For the part that I paid 50 pound (~10,000 rupees) to UK dealer (it's a genuine part) I got an estimate from Darshana (Panchikawatta) of 27500 to import from Singapore.

Good thing about Frontier is that they will install customer supplied parts (whereas e.g. places like A*W will not)

Ford has very stiff steering comparing to other cars ,specially with Japanese .In my experience all European cars has stiff steering comparing to Japanese cars

So it may not something wrong with the car

Ford has very stiff steering comparing to other cars ,specially with Japanese .In my experience all European cars has stiff steering comparing to Japanese cars

So it may not something wrong with the car

Any idea of Fuel economy of this model? The car sale guy says 10KMPL in city

Yeah about a month and a half ago. I think you are taslking about the same one. The exterior was green right? and it had a reverse sensor mirror on top of the original. The car engine was in good condition and the pickup was decent for a car in it's class. Although I believe a timing belt change should be due on it. If you are purchasing it, for the love of god take that revese sensor mirror off. When I checked it out the wieght of that mirror caused the entire assembly to fall off and break the epoxy holding it. I think the owner reattached it.

Yes its Green Exterior. Now it is at a Sale near Athurugiriya

As a loyal customer i dispute that!

It all depends on the vehicle and the availability of the specific part with A*W

Hmmm, OK, thanks for clarifying.

They made it sound as if they never accept a customer supplied part (pitstop doesn't even let you take your own oil), but maybe that was just an individual being arrogant, or maybe depends on the car you bring in (our experience was with a K11)

Any idea of Fuel economy of this model? The car sale guy says 10KMPL in city

I guess you are talking about a 1.8 manual

10 kmpl in Sl traffic is bit optimistic ,I'd say 7-8 to be on the safe side . if it is Auto then expect less than that .

In general they are good 'value for money' cars , spare parts are cheep and reliability is better than French or Italian cars .But nothing close Japanese or German.

Regarding quality and comfort its nothing compared to a VW,Audi or BMW but it will do your job .

I used a 1997 diesel Mondeo for 3 years with no major problems .

Hmmm, OK, thanks for clarifying.

They made it sound as if they never accept a customer supplied part (pitstop doesn't even let you take your own oil), but maybe that was just an individual being arrogant, or maybe depends on the car you bring in (our experience was with a K11)

Pitstop is fussy, much to everyones dismay :(

One question why are you comparing a Mazda 626 kinda car to a 323? You should look at a good Laser, would be in the same range.

My reasoning for the above comment are as follows;

1. The Mondeo's are not the most reliable cars of the Ford range. If you go to the agents its the Mondeo's that you will see in the workshop more than the Lasers.

2. Regular maintenance will cost you a lot. Specially considering the fact that you need to change / service the Petrol pump every 20,000kms.

3. There were problems with electric systems, one Mondeo had started a fire inside the engine bay.

There were only about 28 odd Mondeo's imported brand new (the model you are referring to)by previous agents and 95% of them were Automatic.

The above statements are not to put you off the Mondeo and chase you to buy something else, but a precaution. Your better off in a Laser or a Familia in my opinion.

One question why are you comparing a Mazda 626 kinda car to a 323? You should look at a good Laser, would be in the same range.

My reasoning for the above comment are as follows;

1. The Mondeo's are not the most reliable cars of the Ford range. If you go to the agents its the Mondeo's that you will see in the workshop more than the Lasers.

2. Regular maintenance will cost you a lot. Specially considering the fact that you need to change / service the Petrol pump every 20,000kms.

3. There were problems with electric systems, one Mondeo had started a fire inside the engine bay.

There were only about 28 odd Mondeo's imported brand new (the model you are referring to)by previous agents and 95% of them were Automatic.

The above statements are not to put you off the Mondeo and chase you to buy something else, but a precaution. Your better off in a Laser or a Familia in my opinion.

Thanks a lot guys for all your inputs, Considering all, I decided to go for a MAZDA. Went to look few today.

Can you guys tell me the average price of BHALP and BJ5P.?

Today i came across 2 BHALPs :

300 - 1.1M

301 - 1.14M

But could not find a 1.5CC BJ5P , there were many BJ3Ps. My budjet is 1.3M and can I afford a BJ5P?

Also I PREFER AUTO, but all the BHLAPs i found were manual