• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover Series 3

kapilaH

Hi, can any one advice me for the following matter?????????????????. Ok i am currently owned a Land Rover series 3. Manufactured in 1978 & imported as a brand new. It is 3 door long wheel base. So I have brought a year ago. This is my problem. At the moment it's havening a problem in engine. That is the original Land Rover engine. Its need to be repair. in other words it's wasting engine oil. So I need big advice to do this. I have asked so many peoples & some are said don't repair that if you do it is a waste of money. Put a new Japanese engine. Like 4DR5, TD27, SD23, 4JB1....... But I don't like to do that because it should be in original condition. And I don't have much money to put TDI engines. And 12J engines are very rare to find and also bit expensive. So I need a big help from all of you.... WHAT SHOULD I DO??????????

machnag my advice is nt to put the Japanese engines.... coz it will let your vehical price down when your gona sell it.What you can do is there are guys who take out 12j onecs & put 300...so find that kind of a place & get the 12j for you.If not be4 doing it have a visit near Hyde park & check out the prices to re do your engine........ keep us posted..

machnag my advice is nt to put the Japanese engines.... coz it will let your vehical price down when your gona sell it.What you can do is there are guys who take out 12j onecs & put 300...so find that kind of a place & get the 12j for you.If not be4 doing it have a visit near Hyde park & check out the prices to re do your engine........ keep us posted..

Agreed

Keep the 12J & maintain originality

There have been 12J's that have come up for sale here and there... ##### etc as well

Once a 12J has been overhauled properly, its runs fairly well

I've got one which has clocked in over 250,000 kms :)

Also check with LR Motors (Indika) or Colonial Motors Union Place (Thilak) & see if they have any 12J's around

Unless there is something severely wrong with it like a warped head or cracked block, a 12J engine can be kept running for quite a long time!

Best option is for either of the above to have a look at your engine & asses what is really wrong with it or whether it simply needs an overhaul..

If its Land Rover parts, they try

- Rover Motors (Commercial Bank - Alahakoon Building) Panchikawatte (Darshana)

- Willy's Motors (Panchikawatte & Union Palce - Ibbanwala Junction)

- Hydepark / Nelson Motors (Union Place - Ibbanwala Junction)

- Colonial Motors Spare Parts Division (Union Place)

Bottom Line : Keep it original with proper Land Rover Parts! :)

Also try writing to (PMing) "LakshanK" a fellow autolanka Forum member - he may be bale to help you source Land Rover parts as well, as he is an avid enthusiast with lots of Land Rover restoration experience

Thanks all for your advising. I can go to Homagama o Kottawa. Please kindly let me know the places that i can find LR engins. And "Devinda_Z" let me know the price & the condition of your engine. U can mail me to [email protected]. Thanks once again.

i'm sorry , i think you've misunderstood me - my engine is Not for sale! its very happily in my Defender 110 ; where its been since 1994 :)

I am very sorry Devinda_Z you correct i misunderstood. My one is not 12J. its old S3 engine(by the way i have no idea what the model #is). its ok i'll overhaul my engine. And will see what will happen next. i am hoping start on comming wednesday. Thanks once again.

I am very sorry Devinda_Z you correct i misunderstood. My one is not 12J. its old S3 engine(by the way i have no idea what the model #is). its ok i'll overhaul my engine. And will see what will happen next. i am hoping start on comming wednesday. Thanks once again.

it should be a 2.25L Diesel

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing 2.25cc with 12J means changing pillow to headache. If you want to maintain originality, overhaul the registered engine.

If u don't change gear box, go for 12J engine. (bolt on conversion)

budget replacement is 4DR5 engine. (Easy conversion)

Need more power and toque, go for 200Tdi with LT77s gear box

good luck with your Series 3, It's a great vehicle to drive.

Regards,

upul

• 1 month later...

Dear all I have removed my old 2.25 engine & it needs bit more repairs. Like boar, crank bearings…. etc. so I decide to put 12J on to it. And I found an engine. Seller told me that is a 12J engine. And they have erased the engine #. Now I am wondering how to identify the engine. And I need little help from all of u.

1. the injector pump fitted in horizontally

2. there is a oil cooler

3. and turbo charger fitted as well

4. driver side engine mount bit different to the old one

and all others are same as my old engine. Engine is fairly ok. But can’t say it is perfect.

Dear all I have removed my old 2.25 engine & it needs bit more repairs. Like boar, crank bearings…. etc. so I decide to put 12J on to it. And I found an engine. Seller told me that is a 12J engine. And they have erased the engine #. Now I am wondering how to identify the engine. And I need little help from all of u.

1. the injector pump fitted in horizontally

2. there is a oil cooler

3. and turbo charger fitted as well

4. driver side engine mount bit different to the old one

and all others are same as my old engine. Engine is fairly ok. But can't say it is perfect.

The 12J engine is a Normally Aspirated unit - so if you see a Turbo, that NOT good news!

Please upload a few pictures of your engine - it's a start to being able to identify it. Something with an erased engine number doesn't seem legitimate - i get a feeling that your going to have issues if you try to update the registration book with this new engine :(

i'll upload a few pics of a stock 12J tomorrow