• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery Acid Is Leaking

4DR5

Hi experts,

I'm having a 4DR5 J20 long wheel jeep. i have replaced the batteries about 3 months ago. Now acid is leaking from both batteries and white colored powder is stagnated on the steel battery holder. I checked the batteries and as per the battery shop there is no leak in the batteries. But batteries are over charging. Is there a problem in the alternator?

what should i do? is there anyone who is trustworthy and capable of resolving this issue?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

4DR5

Hi experts,

I'm having a 4DR5 J20 long wheel jeep. i have replaced the batteries about 3 months ago. Now acid is leaking from both batteries and white colored powder is stagnated on the steel battery holder. I checked the batteries and as per the battery shop there is no leak in the batteries. But batteries are over charging. Is there a problem in the alternator?

what should i do? is there anyone who is trustworthy and capable of resolving this issue?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

4DR5

the battery holder is getting oxidized since acid is flowing out hence the white powder.

most probably your alternator is at fault cos alternators have a built in voltage regulator which keeps the voltage from going too high when the engine revs increase.

most probably the circuitry must've gone bust and it's pumping too many volts in to your electrical system

take it to an automotive electrician... Even places like Pala electricals should be able to get to the bottom of things

The longer you wait the more damage it will cause to your batteries

If you have a multimeter or a voltmeter with you... it's easy to see if the voltage is too high.

On 12v cars...the average charging voltage is around 14volts mark... anything significantly more means something is wrong

good luck!

Hi experts,

Appreciate your input.

Thanks

4DR5

Acid overflows when the battery is being overcharged. You have to check the charging system. If there's a voltage regulator (cut out in garage language) it need to be checked and adjusted or if it's IC based circuit inside the alternator, either circuit needs to be replaced or can be modified to use a regulator. Any capable automotive electrician would be able to carry out this job. P*la A*to can be recommended although their charging is bit high.