• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying Advice On A B4 Tt Tiptronic

arunika

Hi all, :blink:

I am new to the forum. Have seem some brilliant advice been posted here.

Well this is the latest. I have a budget of 2.0-2.3mil and I seen a nice subaru car..at the car sale next to magcity(darley road)..

Well this car was lying there for almost an year now..The owner wants 2.3 for it..

I heard the tiptronic gearbox is very expensive if failed..the car has done 53000km..I spoke to agents and checked from Jehan and no records available at Senok for the car which means it has never been taken there for maintenance..

Does anybody of you know this car the number I think is GS-5588 ash colour car..well I like this car a lot but I would like to know what I am going into...

All please advice..

thanks

i checked that one too before i bought my present TT.. it was 2.4 then.. so has come doen a lack.. he he..

anyways no recods means u really need to check everything out with the agents.. jehan will do a good job.. they will have to check the sensors and the mechanical stuff as well.. still i feel its a bit too much for a GS plate.

i have been using mine for three months now.. no complaints.. only thing if u decide to get it.. u have to do a full serivce done at senoks to be on the safe side.

if everything is gone.. it will set u back around 30K.. but just the engine oil and top ups will be around 15K.

Aren't there any manuals around? :o Heard that long time no use auto/semi/CVT are not too trustworthy, but depends on the maintenance anyway/ :)

@charitha19: When you checked, how much was a manual? And did you only check Legacy's?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Hmm, that's sad. Would have been nice to get some info. Maybe that's why most people are bringing auto cars now then, and everywhere in the market also it's auto... Sad situation.

Let me know of the price of a manual if you come across one please?

i checked that one too before i bought my present TT.. it was 2.4 then.. so has come doen a lack.. he he..

anyways no recods means u really need to check everything out with the agents.. jehan will do a good job.. they will have to check the sensors and the mechanical stuff as well.. still i feel its a bit too much for a GS plate.

i have been using mine for three months now.. no complaints.. only thing if u decide to get it.. u have to do a full serivce done at senoks to be on the safe side.

if everything is gone.. it will set u back around 30K.. but just the engine oil and top ups will be around 15K.

Hi Charitha,

Thank you for the information..roughly how much do u spend on gas per month..since I am planning to use this as a daily runner.

How are the running cosst break pads differential oil cost..and also which oil is used for engine..?

Pls share with me

Hi Charitha,

Thank you for the information..roughly how much do u spend on gas per month..since I am planning to use this as a daily runner.

How are the running cosst break pads differential oil cost..and also which oil is used for engine..?

Pls share with me

There are only about 5 manuals in the country and are owned by true enthusiasts. A good B4 will cost you anything from 2.2 and above you get cars for under 2 mil but are in bad condition and high milage or accident cars. Your better off spending a bit more and getting a good car. The auto b4's are easy to drive but then who buys an auto Subaru best is to get a manual but since there are only less than 6 to 5 you have no chance.

how much do u spend on gas per month..since I am planning to use this as a daily runner.

Factory fuel consumption is said to be 10km/l city max, so probably much less with traffic.

There are only about 5 manuals in the country and are owned by true enthusiasts. A good B4 will cost you anything from 2.2 and above you get cars for under 2 mil but are in bad condition and high milage or accident cars. Your better off spending a bit more and getting a good car. The auto b4's are easy to drive but then who buys an auto Subaru best is to get a manual but since there are only less than 6 to 5 you have no chance.

Hmm, too bad. Any chance an enthusiast is selling? I remember seeing a silver one, manual, in kandy twice, once when it was parked so could see inside.

The main feature on the B4 is the sport shift on the steering. Think this was a first in a production car ( not 100% sure on that ).

I cannot see why we prefer a manual, when even on F1 cars there is no stick ( ie Gear stick ) also on the latest Fararris or Lamboginis shift electronically.

The main feature on the B4 is the sport shift on the steering. Think this was a first in a production car ( not 100% sure on that ).

I cannot see why we prefer a manual, when even on F1 cars there is no stick ( ie Gear stick ) also on the latest Fararris or Lamboginis shift electronically.

That's only because F1 drivers don't have time to shift the gears by hand. And Ferrari's and Lambos are high performance cars, which have electronically controlled manual gearboxes. Autoboxes are generally lazy when it comes to shifting, and you lose some of the output power through them (as opposed to manuals) as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides, it's fun to throw that thing around while driving.

Yup, the torque converter loses quite a bit of power more than a clutch, and those in F1 and even Lamborghini's and Ferrari's are dual clutch, manual gearboxes right? Experience with the same car model and same engine with auto and manual makes a person pretty sick of the auto I guess, has happened to me atleast. So rather than a B4 tiptronic, a manual is preferable :)

Hi Guys,

My main concern is the gearbox...since I ve heard that tiptronics tend to give trouble...which Senok be able to confirm the status of this by just putting on the diagnostic scanner????? also what are the cost for things like break pads and stuff.

Besides, it's fun to throw that thing around while driving.[/font]

Agree on that, moving the stick around does give u some sense of satisfaction...

Sometimes after having driven the manual swift my hand automatically tries to shift the auto when on the B4 , its quite annoying.....

Hi Charitha,

Pls share with me

well.. if u are going to run it daily the max u will get in trafic is around 6.. but if u concentrate and go on tip tronic mode u will squeeze out 7.. but that takes a lot out of u.. i always run on the tip tronic as i am a manual guy at heart.

but in trafic its quite pleasing to go on D... senok doenst change the engine oil till u run around 12K thats whay they told me. a full oil change including the diff it will set u back 30K.. but thankfully when i went for the first service the other oils didnt need changing so it was 15K with an engine oil, filter, and some other top up charges..

cant comment on the break pads as i didnt change them yet.. got some bushes and boots replaced for around 5K from senok.

Shift times for Formula One cars are in the region of 0.05 seconds, which is faster than you can physically move your fingers. So essentially, before a F1 driver completes the motion of flicking his fingers to shift up/down the gear has already engaged...huge difference to the semi-automatic gear shifts we have available to us in our daily drivers- In that scenario shifting gears manually is faster.

Edited by Kavvz

Shift times for Formula One cars are in the region of 0.05 seconds, which is faster than you can physically move your fingers. So essentially, before a F1 driver completes the motion of flicking his fingers to shift up/down the gear has already engaged...huge difference to the semi-automatic gear shifts we have available to us in our daily drivers- In that scenario shifting gears manually is faster.

Machan, when u say semi automatic or triptronic I dont think its exactly the same thing as " Sport Shift "

My understanging was on sport shift the gear is electronically shifted so you save on the timing of doing it mannually.( again, please correct me if I am wrong but the system on a B4 is different from a normal Japanese triptronic car, like u find on the swift- beatle shape one ) Yes maybe its far slower than 0.05 seconds on a F1 but its not that slow, and maybe faster than manual.

But with a manuall you know u are fully in control of the car, its like the drivetrain is in ur hands, where as in the sport shift u are more distant with the car. This is one of the reasons a lot of blown engines on B4 s have been due to people using sportshift without much experiance by over reving at wrong gears.

Machan, when u say semi automatic or triptronic I dont think its exactly the same thing as " Sport Shift "

My understanging was on sport shift the gear is electronically shifted so you save on the timing of doing it mannually.( again, please correct me if I am wrong but the system on a B4 is different from a normal Japanese triptronic car, like u find on the swift- beatle shape one ) Yes maybe its far slower than 0.05 seconds on a F1 but its not that slow, and maybe faster than manual.

But with a manuall you know u are fully in control of the car, its like the drivetrain is in ur hands, where as in the sport shift u are more distant with the car. This is one of the reasons a lot of blown engines on B4 s have been due to people using sportshift without much experiance by over reving at wrong gears.

Really? My car has a safety feature where it doesn't let me change gears at the wrong time. I'm guessing the B4 doesn't?

I haven't had the privilege of driving a B4 so I can't comment on it, but I've driven a lot of Japanese and American cars with Tiptronic/ Semi-automatic / Manumatic / sport-shift type transmissions; including the car I currently use as my daily driver. My personal experience is that they are all slower than shifting manually.

I hear good things about BMW's SMG transmission and Audi's CVT transmission and in both instance the claims are that they are faster than the corresponding manual versions (despite as you say being far behind standards set by F1) but unfortunately I can't confirm this personally.

Madmax might be able to comment further as I do believe the lucky bugger's had the privilege of owning cars from both categories...