• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Hilux Or Toyota Hilux Vigo?

hefraz

Hi

I have been out of SL for some years now and am planning on returning next year. I am planning on getting a Toyota Hilux since I plan to go around SL (Camping etc..)

But I am confused as to what Hilux is available in SL. Is there a Hilux and a Hilux Vigo?

Hi

I have been out of SL for some years now and am planning on returning next year. I am planning on getting a Toyota Hilux since I plan to go around SL (Camping etc..)

But I am confused as to what Hilux is available in SL. Is there a Hilux and a Hilux Vigo?

Hefraz, Yes you do get both kinds. The Hilux 4 door and the Hilux Vigo which is the 2 door extended type. Prices would start for the new hilux 4 door approx 6 million and the Vigo being 3.5 million & upwards. Could also find the older models in the market for a considerable lower amount depending on your preferences. LN 85,106,107,166 etc... I personally prefer the older ones compared to the newer ones. Good luck with your search!

I dunno,The smart cabs that have been in accidents have not fared well and are crumpled up pretty badly even in the passenger area.And it's not an impact energy absorbing crumpling either,They are just wrecked.Maybe it's something to do with the suicide door set-up and the absence of a B-Pillar.

I heard a bag of sand at the back is a common solution.

Yes,while carrying a load in the cargo area,the backseat of my Strada(and the Nissan D22 I had earlier) are considerably more comfortable and almost bearable...haha...but I never carry a sand bag for the sake of comfort.

I dunno,The smart cabs that have been in accidents have not fared well and are crumpled up pretty badly even in the passenger area.And it's not an impact energy absorbing crumpling either,They are just wrecked.Maybe it's something to do with the suicide door set-up and the absence of a B-Pillar.

Yes,while carrying a load in the cargo area,the backseat of my Strada(and the Nissan D22 I had earlier) are considerably more comfortable and almost bearable...haha...but I never carry a sand bag for the sake of comfort.

MasterDon' timestamp,

I agree to your post on the smart cabs. Few vehicles came with rear Carry boy cab hood was leaking during the rainy weather when they travel.

Plenty of mechanical problems one leading importer had smart cabs sold used to come regularly into his work shop with various complains.

Today Smart cabs are not sold from the car sales. Plenty of unsold Vehicles in the hands of dealers.

I used Nissan D/C about twenty five years ago this too had the same problem passengers are not comfortable in rear seat unless you carry 50% of the loading capacity of the above said D/C on its rear loading cab.

I personally know as this Vehicle was very popular with Planters in our country when ever they travel they used load some thing on the rear loading cab to compensate the load for comfort.

My solution for above problem was to remove two bottom Helper springs from the rear suspension this solved the entire issue of uncomfortably when you travel on the rear seat of D/C.

Later I did modify the front suspension coil springs to a thinner gauge of a coil springs which gave me total comfort in driving out Colombo. Till 1995 out station roads were not developed like today.

Please note I never drive fast I do not know the stability of the Vehicle when you modify like above on high speed driving Like today we did not have any testing methods.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

i think the 3 liter DI turbo charged engine is too much to handle for many people.

I've heard of a few vigo guys raving how they did 160 180 etc so at those speeds...even the best of vehicles would stand little chance!

As for the bouncing thing...

you can improve ride quality by upgrading the stock sus setup... but most of the time while you get it geared more towards tarmac driving...you compromise on offroading ability so it's a bit of a toughie...

Personally i'd prefer to have a double cab more towards the offroading side and suffer a bit on comfort than the other way around

i think the 3 liter DI turbo charged engine is too much to handle for many people.

I've heard of a few vigo guys raving how they did 160 180 etc so at those speeds...even the best of vehicles would stand little chance!

I was not referring to the power at all.But even at those speeds the safest vehicles do absorb the energy and crumple up leaving the cabin relatively unaltered.That is not the case with the smart cabs,and one of 'em I'm pretty sure wasn't even doing 100KMPH when it crashed at Kochchikade.I think list member milindu might be able elaborate on the smart's safety cos I remember him going on about this recently.

Pickups generally have an actual chassis yeah; say it goes and hits a wall head on. So the front bumper radiator etc and a few other parts will be crushed to bits. But right around that time the chassis itself would start to make contact with the wall, but that WONT collapse like say the steel frame (crumple zone) of a car. And hence then entire body/chassis of the vehicle has to absorb the energy of the impact. So the effective crumple zone on a pickup would be pretty limited wouldnt it?

Edited by Watchman

Pickups generally have an actual chassis yeah; say it goes and hits a wall head on. So the front bumper radiator etc and a few other parts will be crushed to bits. But right around that time the chassis itself would start to make contact with the wall, but that WONT collapse like say the steel frame (crumple zone) of a car. And hence then entire body/chassis of the vehicle has to absorb the energy of the impact. So the effective crumple zone on a pickup would be pretty limited wouldnt it?

well they do have a ladder chassis unlike unibody car's and suv's and from what i hear...these kinda vehicles use the other vehicles as part of effective crumple zone :P

there was a program on turbo about how cars fair against 4x4's...it was on fifth gear if i'm not wrong!

Wont be the case if a 4x4 goes and slams on a tree or something though! :)