• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Conversion

Nishan.dj

Question

Hello Friends,

I am trying to replace shocks in my 4DR5 J44 Jeep and reshape the leaf springs so that a little hight can gain and also to become a little more comfortable. So I really don't have experience on that and I expect someone who has done that previously give me some advice. Please post a reply if you know anything. Thank you.

Regards

Darshaka

8 answers to this question

I dont know or cant imagine how the reshaping of the leafsprings will help increase the height... It would need quite a few modifications than just the leaf springs right, i mean even the shuckles and mounts might need some mods...

As for making it comfier, you ran maybe reduce the number of leaf-springs, but that'll compramize the vehicle's load bearing capacity. Or simply underinflate the tyres a bit. Unless ur using big baloon tyres this should work out a bit...

Hello Friends,

I am trying to replace shocks in my 4DR5 J44 Jeep and reshape the leaf springs so that a little hight can gain and also to become a little more comfortable. So I really don't have experience on that and I expect someone who has done that previously give me some advice. Please post a reply if you know anything. Thank you.

Regards

Darshaka

Nishan.dj,

Reshape leaf springs will not add much height and it will rest to same height in few hundred miles. you have to use different shackles and do same correctly if not you will not have the road stability when you drive at high speeds. I did once about 40 years ago lifting the height of a vehicle by changing the shackle bracket and long shackle but road holding at high speed was not at all good like early but experimenting number of times by changing the shackle length I got the correct stability of the Vehicle. Manage to get about only three inches from the original height.

If you don't drive at high speeds your Vehicle you can adjust your height and drive.

Old Skoda Octavia cars had this adjustable shackle in rear single leaf spring independent suspension. BMW Motor Cycles also had rear wheel height adjustable suspension.

Please go to web page http://www.automedia.com/Suspension_Mods/pht20020301ud/1

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

From my exp: im telling you no point reshaping leaf springs coz it will gain you hight but nt the comfort.If you want to gain the hight do it from thr leaf spring mounts.Thats the correct way of doing it.If not this can effect the controlling of the J44.

If you need to get the comfort with new shoks u can reduce the no of leaf springs... Which I dnt recommend....

But when your doing it get a guy who can do a good job + guy who is having an idea about jeeps...if not like me you have to go get it fixed for 3 to 4 times....

From my exp: im telling you no point reshaping leaf springs coz it will gain you hight but nt the comfort.If you want to gain the hight do it from thr leaf spring mounts.Thats the correct way of doing it.If not this can effect the controlling of the J44.

If you need to get the comfort with new shoks u can reduce the no of leaf springs... Which I dnt recommend....

But when your doing it get a guy who can do a good job + guy who is having an idea about jeeps...if not like me you have to go get it fixed for 3 to 4 times....

3000cc,

I totaly agre with your comment. This must be done by who has previous experince in lifting the hight of Vehicles.

Whenever I use Van (Toyota Nissan Mazda Chana)as they are made for load carring I use them for my day to day passenger transport I remove the two helper springs from rear suspension and use thin guage coil springs for front suspension to get better passenger comfort. Tires was changed to 4 ply rating This method I have done from 1978 to date all vans what I have used also done for few friends and relatives.

Never had the Road Stabiliy problem taking a bend driving at 50 to 100 Killo meters on our roads during rainy weather also.

Silvi Wijesinghe.

+ 1 , it'll make the ride rigid and bumpy. Try to keep the leaf springs straight or in the original shape and increase the height from the shackle. Further, replace rubber bushes found on the shackles with grease-able ones with grease nipples. Makes the ride extremely comfortable.

+ 1 , it'll make the ride rigid and bumpy. Try to keep the leaf springs straight or in the original shape and increase the height from the shackle. Further, replace rubber bushes found on the shackles with grease-able ones with grease nipples. Makes the ride extremely comfortable.

imho the easiest and the best way to get more ground clearance is to go for a proper lift kit. Like OldMan EMU, Rancho etc...

those come with new leaf springs and shocks and the works... There are adjustable types at a premium so that you don't suffer on road driving

imho the easiest and the best way to get more ground clearance is to go for a proper lift kit. Like OldMan EMU, Rancho etc...

those come with new leaf springs and shocks and the works... There are adjustable types at a premium so that you don't suffer on road driving

That's best if you care to stretch your budgets a bit, rewarding throughout a time though.

Hello Friends,

Regards

Darshaka

well reshaping wont do anything if you really want a lift 1st think about whats the tire size you need to put in if your putting 31 inch tires no need of a life for a 4DR5, best way is as everyone suggested use longer shackles or make one in a design you want using re-greasable pins, and heard by putting some Teflon layers in between leafs near the center bolts and putting some space between leafs increases the comfortability of the vehicle (haven't tried it yet) and put some friction pads at the end of the smaller leafs increases the movement of the leafs by this also u'll have some more comfortability