• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Additives For Atf:is It Needed

Push110

Hi,

I went to Auto M***j to service my AE110 corolla. When they change the ATF (manually), they have first added some additive before removing the used oil. and they ran the engine for 10 min and remove the oil by removing the oil pan & filter.

They have added another additive (different formula, same brand )When they put the new oil (Mo**l)to the gear box. Additive were cost me 2500+ each.

My queation is is it really need to add additives? In both stages. May be ok to flush. but to mix with new oil? what do they really do?

Best Regards,

Push

how many miles do you have on your car? i am not a big fan of additives. good quality ATF itself provide excellent amount of lubrication and cooling properties for your transmission. what is the colour of your ATF? if its very dark brown i highly recommend against a flush since it can trigger problems with your tranny. my friend has a camry with 418k KM and the ATF has been flushed regularly without using any chemicals/addictive and it still shifts like brand new.

MY recommendations

-flush your transmission regularly without using any addictive and chemicals

- do not flush if your ATF is dark or smell burnt

-use addictive only if you have hard shifting or slipping

-cleaning/flush chemicals have very strong cleaning properties but they are not good for seals and cleaning carbon from non-well maintained transmission can trigger problems.

-lots of engineering went in to good quality ATF and they provide the best lubrication, cooling, and cleaning properties so why modify it by using additives?

i put my car under lot of stress and my cars always last long because i take car of them.

Actually mileage is around 110K and the oil also was at the dark red colour, not black. And it was not thickey as well

then you are good, just keep the ATF fresh, and your transmission will last a long time. you can do the flushes at home it is always fun for me. if you are mechanically inclined DIY it.