• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2003/04 Bmw 320D Vs 318I

Eurofan

Hi. Im new to the forum and am currently in the hunt for a BMW with a budget of around 5.5 mil. I have narrowed down my search to a facelift e46 3 series.

I was told that the facelift 320d is a big improvement from the older pre facelift 320d with a smooth common rail engine and a 150bhp 330 NM torque performance. These cars have very nice sounding diesel engine compared to the older 320d.

In terms of the 318i, the engine has been improved to valvetronic 143 bhp and 200 odd torque.

I have driven both and find the 320d has much better performance in terms of pick up and efficiency over the 318i. does around 13 km for a liter of diesel compared to 7 Km /liter on a 318i petrol

Could you please provide additional input you have on these facelift generation e46? Prices of diesels range from 5.0 - 5.5 whilst petrols go from 4.5 - 5.0 depending on reg. number, mileage, condition and options.

Thanks

The petrols are much easier on the purse in terms of maintenance although running a diesel on a day-to-day would be cheaper in terms of fuel. Please check on the swirl flaps in the engine. The originals generally break and mess up the engine. Also the diesels on most occasions are brought down on permits, hence would have more options than their petrol variants. A good buy if you can find a good specimen for sale. Good luck !!

Hi, Actually having used both (though the diesel was a pre-facelift) can say that their both decent cars. The 318i with the N42 valvetronic engine actually does much better than 7 (currently am running one) and does about 8.5- 9.5 in colombo - No bs on the economy meter of the car. Actually the petrol is easier on the purse and the diesel's potentially can have few turbo issues when they get older - however if you do you maintenance on time their shouldn't be any major issues but change the swirl flaps as mentioned by rukster.

Cheers,

Swirl flap changing is a job that would cost u less than 6,000 LKR. I got it done. And just to avoid the turbo going bust make sure u use the voltex breather valve on the car, which is was released by BMW to avoid the traditional valve getting clogged. It would cost u a max of 14,000 LKR. For 20,000 LKR u can sort these issues. I use one now, and it runs like a baby, but it was one heck of a specimen i found. And withonly 400km a month, i really feel im under utilizing a 320d's benefits. But its powerful, the low down torque is amazing.

Beware of older cars that have been facelifted. Both the diesel and petrol variants of these facelifts are huge improvements from the previous cars.

I second the comment above of being aware of face-lifted older cars. I for a fact know a few which have been done either after an accident or on a genuine basis for the looks. Just be careful and always request for a well documented history of the car.

Hi. Im new to the forum and am currently in the hunt for a BMW with a budget of around 5.5 mil. I have narrowed down my search to a facelift e46 3 series.

I was told that the facelift 320d is a big improvement from the older pre facelift 320d with a smooth common rail engine and a 150bhp 330 NM torque performance. These cars have very nice sounding diesel engine compared to the older 320d.

In terms of the 318i, the engine has been improved to valvetronic 143 bhp and 200 odd torque.

I have driven both and find the 320d has much better performance in terms of pick up and efficiency over the 318i. does around 13 km for a liter of diesel compared to 7 Km /liter on a 318i petrol

Could you please provide additional input you have on these facelift generation e46? Prices of diesels range from 5.0 - 5.5 whilst petrols go from 4.5 - 5.0 depending on reg. number, mileage, condition and options.

Thanks

With a budget of 5.5mil, why not also look at the E39 5 series? Way more presence and way less common than the 3 series on the roads. A decent 525i or even (my personal favourite) a 530d could possibly be had for that sort of money, yes?

ya, but the facelift 3 series's are way less common than the older version, which are plenty (relatively) due to permits.

The 525i is a 190+ BHP power house, but the only issue is, 5 series's tend to loose their market value quite fast and maintanance can be a weeee bit higher (not a huge difference). But for a true euro car fan none if it would matter

I would personally prefer the 530d. Currently using a 320d (facelift). And these bmw diesels are very torque"y". And if its a common rail engine (2002 e39 should be), they are very smooth sounding engines.