• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

K&n Air Filter(Honda)

prasa

Seriously?

Anyway, cold air intakes might be a whole another story. But I reckon the thread context was about drop-ins or the short rams at most, which basically is DIY.

I had the same thought when the dealership told me that. Even they have model cold air intakes in the show room. I thought they tell this because its not that profitable for them to fix to a car which is already sold. But after i saw that article in K&N site i started to realize that it can be true. But i have no idea how and why. May be someone who has studies automobile might have an answer to this.

What i was thinking was when we fix these kind of mods to a 'Variable valve timing' engine it would adapt / change timing according to the extra air getting in to the engine, so additional tuneup is not necessary. But after hear that 'check engine light' thing from dealership and the article in K&N site looks like it might not be a DIY job.

Anyone studied automobile can give some input? Like what could possibly cause a check engine light to come with fixing a cold air intake? Would it be the same for other after market air intake systems?

What i was thinking was when we fix these kind of mods to a 'Variable valve timing' engine it would adapt / change timing according to the extra air getting in to the engine, so additional tuneup is not necessary. But after hear that 'check engine light' thing from dealership and the article in K&N site looks like it might not be a DIY job.

I thought the performace was gained with the colder air, being denser, having more oxygen to burn. And the sensor compensating by richening the fuel/air mixture. I didn't kow that the timing had anything to do with it. :speechless-smiley-003:

My 1000cc three pot Passo is quite under powered for my liking.

In my bid to improve its pickup/acceleration for my daily 'hurried' runs within Colombo, I replaced the sparkplugs and did a tune up. Condensation was showing up at the tail pipe but still no marked improvement in pick up or power. I kept my tyre pressure at 28PSI, regularly cleaned/replaced with original toyota air filter and did all the oil/atf changes on time. I didnt leave anything to chance but without luck. Yes it isn't supposed to be a pocket rocket but still a man can dream nah? :)

So I've been looking for ideas without burining a hole in my pocket and the only thing I could come up with was the K&N drop-in filter which I've been contemplating for a while.

After reading this thread yesterday, I looked up the K&N site, found the matching product for the Daihatsu Sirion (which is what the Passo is called in certain market regions, also called Daihatsu Boon-export version), called up M*t*rcade and they had the item in stock. I bought it and installed yesterday itself. Cost LKR10,900/- after a cash disc. Didn't buy the cleaning kit. Hope to buy after a while as I come to need it.

Must say, that I feel a marked improvement in acceleration. Earlier with the OEM filter, when I pretty much floored the pedal, the engine would basically 'scream' and strainfully deliver. Even but stern pressure would result in the same. But with the K&N, it picks up with much less strain. Also the gear changes are quicker, without me modulating my pressure on th pedal. I picked up hard at the usual road stretches that I go through everyday and I felt the accelaration was better.

Either it actually works or I'm just feeling the placebo effect :)

Edited by SanjeevMahen