• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Warning About An Agent And Some Advice

jdnet

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep...i suppose few years back the market situation was different...their tuk tuk brand ruled SL which is no longer the case with tough competition coming in from other brands...even from chinese tuks

I don't think they ever supported FORD enough let alone build it into a brand...

You can't expect a brand to build itself without any support from marketing...

In the case of Mazda...there seem to be a huge fanbase already...lotsa people love the brand but quite ironically and shockingly the support given by the agents seems to be minimal if at all any...

Thanks to third party suppliers these brands are still doing good... Quite a shame!

As far as my truck goes... It was a ford built by mazda when they were in that joint venture thing. So almost all of the parts except for certain trim bits are from a mazda b2500 :)

indeed, thanks to third party suppliers these brands are still "surviving". Speaking of agents and spares, rang agents in the morning to find the gasket packing for a 206 and Colombo office doesn't know the stock levels of Ratmalana division. Rang the Ratmalana division again to find out it's not available. Not a surprise, but if they could network systems or forget about systems, at least inquire from other branches and give the feedback rather than wasting customer's time.

As for Ford agents, I heard So*tl*gic got the dealership, not confirmed news though.

The new CEO is to blame as his life is full of 'Colombo night life' and obviously the compony is going down hill thats why Audi and VW are with Senok now.

Lets not make this personal. The fact of the matter here is that carmart is failing as a company. What ever he does in his free time is none of our business. I think a major reason why Carmart has been doing pretty bad for years is that they lost a major sourcve of income after plastic packaging was introduced to Sri Lanka and everyone started using it instead of the old metal ones. The owners lost a lot of money off their plant in ratmalana.

The new CEO is to blame as his life is full of 'Colombo night life' and obviously the compony is going down hill thats why Audi and VW are with Senok now.

Lets not make this personal. The fact of the matter here is that carmart is failing as a company. What ever he does in his free time is none of our business. I think a major reason why Carmart has been doing pretty bad for years is that they lost a major sourcve of income after plastic packaging was introduced to Sri Lanka and everyone started using it instead of the old metal ones. The owners lost a lot of money off their plant in ratmalana.

Give me until evening to get you some feedback, I'm at the agents getting some stuff sorted out right now.

See what a dedicated moderator type I am? checking up on things while at the garage too!

Sorry, nearly forgot this thread.

Experience at the agents. 8:30 Monday morning and there was a helluva lot of cars there! Despite the huge amount of bays, more cars there than bays. Obviously a popular choice. Anyhoo, put in the job, and managed to get a bay by about 10.

Guys there are generally good, and know their stuff. Some chaps around that would be right at home at the govt office (read : no work gets done) but since I was hanging around looking over shoulders, things kept moving along. Supervisors also competent types, experienced guys with lots of time at the company, as their knowledge of the history demonstrates.

Did have a complication, needed to replace the fan belt, and whoever handled it last (think it was maka bas type in Kandy when my dad had borrowed it) had bent the nut that adjusts the belt tension. I was advised that it was a job better handled early in the morning, as that nut was sure to break when trying to remove. So rather than trying to beat that crazy rush in the morning, I left it there overnight so they could get started in the morning. To my surprise, I got a call by about 11am saying car ready for pickup. Went shortly after lunch, everything was sorted, picked the car and came, no issues.

Of course, the bad news is, it cost a quite a packet. To be expected I guess. Bit of rasthiadu in the morning to get the car looked at initially, but for all that, everything done, everything works fine. My previous experiences with them are positive too, been there to service a couple of times. Helps if you stick around and tell the chaps working on it how you want things done. No engine washing with high pressure hose, for example. Also take your oil, it'll save you some major moolah.

But then the good thing about the scenario is, no need to really go to the agents for minor things on the common cars. Even services. Can save by picking a competent mechanic. But the agents are competent and there for anything major, with peace of mind.

Yohan's new baby was there getting some new pipes too ;) Quite a sight. Car looks lovely too.

But the agents are competent and there for anything major, with peace of mind.

This is now about A*W, right? (sorry, Peri, don't know what you drive...)

Assuming it is, can't quite agree on the peace of mind... we had a K11 March and went to A*W (the workshop in Rajagiriya) for an A/C service; there was something (not sure exactly what) that they hadn't fitted back properly and the result was water dripping onto the front passenger's foot. It wasn't immediately evident cos water was building up somewhere, then leaking. A*W redid the work for no extra charge, but they didn't do the interior cleaning that was needed subsequently.

For the next A/C service, for peace of mind we took the car elsewhere.

Then, another time, my wife went to Union Place to buy tyres (some guy there introduced by someone said he would get a discount). Turned out they didn't have the recommended size and the guy had sold her oversized tyres cos that's what they did have in stock. they had done some sales pitch on how the bigger (more expensive) tyres were actually better and wife fell for it. this is the kind of attitude you can live with from random shops but you'd expect better from the agents. and the tyres were so big they were actually rubbing someplace when turning (big turns).

This is now about A*W, right? (sorry, Peri, don't know what you drive...)

Assuming it is, can't quite agree on the peace of mind... we had a K11 March and went to A*W (the workshop in Rajagiriya) for an A/C service; there was something (not sure exactly what) that they hadn't fitted back properly and the result was water dripping onto the front passenger's foot. It wasn't immediately evident cos water was building up somewhere, then leaking. A*W redid the work for no extra charge, but they didn't do the interior cleaning that was needed subsequently.

For the next A/C service, for peace of mind we took the car elsewhere.

Then, another time, my wife went to Union Place to buy tyres (some guy there introduced by someone said he would get a discount). Turned out they didn't have the recommended size and the guy had sold her oversized tyres cos that's what they did have in stock. they had done some sales pitch on how the bigger (more expensive) tyres were actually better and wife fell for it. this is the kind of attitude you can live with from random shops but you'd expect better from the agents. and the tyres were so big they were actually rubbing someplace when turning (big turns).

Yup, A*W, Union place. Weird about the tires, didn't know A*W sold tires. Of course, I was shamelessly name-dropping, might have something to do with it :)

But gotta say, at least you got the work redone for no extra charge. The larger companies do require you to sign off that you got the car back in proper order when you pay the bill, which means you are supposed to be satisfied before settling. Makes it your responsibility to check. That they would re-do the work even with that is generally a positive thing.

Yup, A*W, Union place. Weird about the tires, didn't know A*W sold tires.

they're the agents for Goodyear!

But gotta say, at least you got the work redone for no extra charge. The larger companies do require you to sign off that you got the car back in proper order when you pay the bill, which means you are supposed to be satisfied before settling. Makes it your responsibility to check. That they would re-do the work even with that is generally a positive thing.

well, the A/C was running much cooler than before so that's what we checked when we received the car. in the case of the water leak it took time for the water to build up before the leak became evident, besides which it couldn't be checked without taking things apart!

Experience at the agents. 8:30 Monday morning and there was a helluva lot of cars there! Despite the huge amount of bays, more cars there than bays. Obviously a popular choice. Anyhoo, put in the job, and managed to get a bay by about 10.

Guys there are generally good, and know their stuff. Some chaps around that would be right at home at the govt office (read : no work gets done) but since I was hanging around looking over shoulders, things kept moving along. Supervisors also competent types, experienced guys with lots of time at the company, as their knowledge of the history demonstrates.

Interesting. Hyundai Lanka doesn't let owners in the workshop. Kinda frustrating, as you don't know what the heck else they're doing to your car.

Interesting. Hyundai Lanka doesn't let owners in the workshop. Kinda frustrating, as you don't know what the heck else they're doing to your car.

I have never taken my cars to a place that doesn't let you in the workshop, don't think I ever will.

they're the agents for Goodyear!

Oh? Thought that was that Autodrome place or summin.

well, the A/C was running much cooler than before so that's what we checked when we received the car. in the case of the water leak it took time for the water to build up before the leak became evident, besides which it couldn't be checked without taking things apart!

True. Thats probably why they took it in. Tho maybe it was condensation forming where there was none before coz it was now running a lot colder :D

Technically there are signs about that says owners are not allowed on the floor, but everyone seems to ignore those. :D

hmm... maybe, not 100% sure if they are the agents or not. But they do have goodyear on their website along with all the other brands they represent (nissan, suzuki, yamaha, BP, ...)

Technically there are signs about that says owners are not allowed on the floor, but everyone seems to ignore those. :D

At Frontier the signs say Customers are not allowed on the floor due to safety reasons; nobody's ever chased me away (even when I've gone and peeked into what's going one with other people's vehicles... esp. can't resist eyeballing the rangerover sport) and I've seen few others hanging around sometimes... I think in their case they just want to cover their asses in case some customer injures themself (slips on some oil, trips over a hose or whatever)

Autodrome is for Bridgestone only. Anyways whats the car you were referring to in your earlier post, which you said were getting new pipes. 370Z? GTR? Im just being curious George.

I think the one of the main reasons that customers are not allowed is that in most cases a converstion/relantionship is started with the mechanic and then the mechanic starts to visit cutomer at home to repair cars.

I think the one of the main reasons that customers are not allowed is that in most cases a converstion/relantionship is started with the mechanic and then the mechanic starts to visit cutomer at home to repair cars.

IMHO if a mechanic privately does work that would otherwise be done at the company then that's a clear conflict of interest situation and he should be fired. I guess it doesn't happen that way cos I can't imagine that the management is unaware of what's going on and who's doing it...

I was introduced to a mechanic when we were considering a 406 (as someone who could help check out a car for problems); I later found out he was working for carmart... and he advised me against getting work done at carmart as "it's very expensive to get work done at carmart". As a company, would you really want to employ someone like that?

I was introduced to a mechanic when we were considering a 406 (as someone who could help check out a car for problems); I later found out he was working for carmart... and he advised me against getting work done at carmart as "it's very expensive to get work done at carmart". As a company, would you really want to employ someone like that?

I guess as most agents are know to charge exorbitant prices, this encourages their own staff to take advantage of the situation.

Sign for "customers not allowed" is not unique to Sri Lanka, but elsewhere I know it is because they are not insured against customer injury in the workshop area (incase they slip on something and car drops off the hoist onto their head)...I guess you can ignore them and go in, but you haven't a leg to stand on (possibly literally too) if something happens to you.

He didnt warn you about the bad/wrong repair work or diagnostics that CM is known for... :D