• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vehicles

prasa

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda FCX Clarity. Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. A limited number available for lease in Japan and the U.S.

68 miles per gallon/29km per liter equivalent fuel economy.Zero emissions - the only thing that comes out of the tailpipe is water vapor.

Nice pics but can you please stop? we can always google the pics and it's cluttering the thread, whereby making it difficult for me to troll sifaan.

of course propane has it's benefits, but for countries that have, or have easy access to, natural gas (which is mostly methane) running cars on CNG is quite economically viable

Well I did some research on CNG a little while ago. Until now I basically knew nothing about it except for those old volvo CNG powered cars. What I have found is that CNG IS economically viable and can be mixed with gasses produced in landfills and sewage treatment plants, but, the problem mainly lies in the fact the CNG cannot be compressed like propane and the engergy output is low. So basically you would have a CNG powered car with one or two relatively big tanks to carry around in the trunk, thus rendering the trunk space useless.Likw propane, CNG can be used with petrol as a back up while feeding the CNG through the air intake so I guess running out of fuel would not be a problem. However delivery of the fuel could be a problem as the per unit delivery costs of CNG is quite high.

Now I think a better use for natural gas in this country would be to lay pipes and send it directly to homes like other countries, thus reducing the need for propane. From what i've been told the system was in place during the colomial days and we somehow lost it to propane. I would be suprised if we did not have large enough natural gas deposits somewhere in the country that would be able to supply the entire colombo for years to come. If we were to use natural gas instead of propane we would be able to put a serious dent in the money lost due to the import of gas. In all what I guess i'm trying to say is that for a nation like ours, a good start is using methane for our homes before cars.

Now I think a better use for natural gas in this country would be to lay pipes and send it directly to homes like other countries, thus reducing the need for propane. From what i've been told the system was in place during the colomial days and we somehow lost it to propane. I would be suprised if we did not have large enough natural gas deposits somewhere in the country that would be able to supply the entire colombo for years to come. If we were to use natural gas instead of propane we would be able to put a serious dent in the money lost due to the import of gas. In all what I guess i'm trying to say is that for a nation like ours, a good start is using methane for our homes before cars.

there is a high density of natural gas emissions a few km from colombo city limits - could this be a sign of a deposit?

apparently the emissions are only there on certain days though.

there is a high density of natural gas emissions a few km from colombo city limits - could this be a sign of a deposit?

Huh, first i'm hearing about this. Do you suppose it's from the landfill in the rajagiriya area?

Dec 09, Colombo: Sri Lanka is planning to use Natural Gas as an energy source to meet the country's ever increasing needs for power and energy.

Towards this initiative, the Sri Lanka Cabinet has granted approval to a joint proposal by Ministry of Power and Energy and the Ministry of Petroleum Industries to appoint a high powered Steering Committee to implement the proposed measure.

The Committee is to authorize the Ministry of Petroleum Industries to explore the possibility of a long term natural gas supply arrangement under a Government-to-Government basis.

The government says that an estimated USD 572 million could be saved annually by using Natural Gas in the power sector.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_10C/Dec09_1291911332CH.php

totally off topic from hybrid vehicles

i am a big fan of jeremy clarkson. he is a very intelligent man. but JC is the last person i would listen to on arriving at sane conclusions. he is a person who would create a very entertaining and profitable conclusion and then set about on an experiment to reach his desired conclusion somehow.

i think the western government's push for lower emissions in the form hybrids and other low emission vehicles has certainly paid off well on the air quality in clogged up cities. just come to a buzy city in a progressive european country and see the difference that it makes you feel when you simply breath.

I take it you mean the all the methane coming from the Parliamentary Complex in Kotte?

i hardly use it while i am here other than as the alarm (yeah i don't use it as alarm while in colombo though). but are guys sure charge will be retained longer when it's extreme cold and snow. i am talking in excess of -10 here and i clearly see a difference may be becuase my battery is very old. bdw do hybrid car batteries and phone batteries work in the same manner? is it same material composites? sorry i am a novice on battery technology.

duplicate

Edited by mdsjw03

i hardly use it while i am here other than as the alarm (yeah i don't use it as alarm while in colombo though). but are guys sure charge will be retained longer when it's extreme cold and snow. i am talking in excess of -10 here and i clearly see a difference may be becuase my battery is very old. bdw do hybrid car batteries and phone batteries work in the same manner? is it same material composites? sorry i am a novice on battery technology.

Honda recalled CIVIC hybrids because of a software error that caused the battery life to reduce. (2006 - 2008) . Most blogs in the internet mention that after honda fixed the problem, fuel efficiency reduced.

Hybrid cars need to be "climatized". People in other countries purchase hybrids because they get the warranty. Those cars are manufactured to suit the weather conditions in their respective countries. Unless you buy a hybrid from a local agent you will not get your warranty. You may need to throw your car away for scrapping.

As for the battery life, yes it depends on temperature, but if i am not mistaken, battery life reduces in warmer and humid weather conditions.

By the way, even before 2011 budget hybrid tax was very low. People didn't notice it.

I suggest any one planning to buy a hybrid to ask from local agents why they are not offering the hybrid in sri lanka, there should be a pretty good reason for it.

Edited by mdsjw03

Honda recalled CIVIC hybrids because of a software error that caused the battery life to reduce. (2006 - 2008) . Most blogs in the internet mention that after honda fixed the problem, fuel efficiency reduced.

Hybrid cars need to be "climatized". People in other countries purchase hybrids because they get the warranty. Those cars are manufactured to suit the weather conditions in their respective countries. Unless you buy a hybrid from a local agent you will not get your warranty. You may need to throw your car away for scrapping.

As for the battery life, yes it depends on temperature, but if i am not mistaken, battery life reduces in warmer and humid weather conditions.

By the way, even before 2011 budget hybrid tax was very low. People didn't notice it.

I suggest any one planning to buy a hybrid to ask from local agents why they are not offering the hybrid in sri lanka, there should be a pretty good reason for it.

Valid concerns on the acclimatization

However if i recall right an acquaintance who worked at Toyota Lanka circa 2005 mentioned that they intended to bring the Prius officially, but scrapped the idea as they were unable to get any from of duty reduction or similar, that would provide a worthy incentive to the end consumer to try out hybrid technology

But its worth looking at the agents stance on these vehicles

on a side note, noticed a 2008 Prius for  just 2.4 Mn ! good value for money? :huh:

Btw guys, realistically, what kinda fuel figures can a Prius owner expect in SL? Now don't quote some figures off the net. I know how to use Google too. :P

well, given that hybrids don't waste much energy stalled in traffic, the numbers should still be quite good :)

of course the higher load on air conditioning would mean the fuel figures won't be as good as in a colder country...

Very cold climates reduces the battery operational efficiency in hybrids much more so than very hot weather. This is well documented on the web and I know this from personal experience. In very cold weather it takes longer for a hybrid to reach ideal operating temperature because the system has to warm up making it take longer for the car's computer to turn on the electric motor and battery assist thereby reducing overall maximum efficiency. Extremley hot weather can reduce efficiency also because conversely the battery and hybrid system has to be cooled through the AC to reach optimum operational temperature. There is a vent by the right rear passenger seat that blows hot or cold air into the rear compartment to keep the battery at optimum operational temperature.

With hybrid batteries mileage is much more of a factor than age when it comes to how long they will last before they need to be replaced. It is mileage and use that depletes up the battery. A 7 year old hybrid with 75,000kms is a much better and safer purchase than a 3 year old hybrid with 200,000kms. Complete battery depletion of 10+ year old Priuses is still not an issue. Toyota states a 300,000km battery life expectancy and based on 10 years of data and 3 millions Prius in use in 70 countries (with climates ranging from arctic to tropical to desert), that appears accurate.

Cold weather is a killer for batteries, but more often than not it affects charge rather than kill the battery.

I also had a look at the SL customs web site and there is quite a duty concession for Hybrids at the moment and it is a pity that none of the agents have started to import them. The Toyota prius hybrid in the UK is one of the most reliable cars aroud, but also one that costs a lot to repair if repairs are needed (source warranty direct).

Hybrid cars also have more sophisticated electronics than conventional cars.

I think you should at a very minimum check if the agents are equiped to repair these cars if necessary. It would be nice if they honoured the warranty of batteries (I don't think this will happen) or offer these cars brand new with a warranty (they should still be reasonably cheaper than other alternatives, even with the higher initial price tag)

Else one might find themselves in a little bit of a mess should one go wrong, and they will go wrong .. Hopefully the agents will offer a solution quickly before the government ups the duty rates :)

Californikan, can't comment about the polymer batteries used in Hybrids, but when it comes to conventioal batteries, you end up replacing them every 3-5 years while my car had its original battery until 2 months ago in the UK (it was 10 years old).

So trying to argue about car performance in the tropics quoting facts from the US is a little difficult :)

Edited by The Don

Californikan, can't comment about the polymer batteries used in Hybrids, but when it comes to conventioal batteries, you end up replacing them every 3-5 years while my car had its original battery until 2 months ago in the UK (it was 10 years old).

So trying to argue about car performance in the tropics quoting facts from the US is a little difficult :)

I am considering the vehicles performance in the tropics. The U.S., Australia, and Brazil, China are uniquely suited to such analysis because they are HUGE land masses and have all varieties of temperatures and conditions - including climates like SL- Hawaii and Puerto Rico in North America for example.

A conventional battery does last longer in places with moderate temps like the UK. They don't last as long in hot places such as tropics, desert etc. The shorter conventional battery life that SL drivers complain about is nothing unusual or special. Drivers in hot regions all over the world (including Australia and China and US) have had the same exact experience.

We have no data about hybrid performance in SL. So we have to look at other parts of the world with similar climates and conditions to glean how the hybrid might do in SL conditions. There is a wealth of data out there from over 70 countries. Many of these places have even more grueling conditions than SL. It would be silly not to use this wealth of information.

In studies of hybrid performance in conditions similar to SL significant degradation in battery performance or durability has not been observed.

Can anyone find anything that shows a meaningful pattern of hybrid failures/shorter overall hybrid battery life in hot condition climates similar to SL? I haven't.

Edited by Californikan

Toyota overwhelmed by Prius demand in India

June 9th 2010: Toyota has been taken aback by the number of orders it has received in India for its hybrid car, Prius. The company had expected to sell a meager 12 units per month when it launched the world’s largest selling hybrid car in March this year. However, demand has zoomed to 80 units during the last three months, that is, more than double the company’s initial estimate.

The target of 12 cars per month seemed justified at the time of the car’s launch because of the poor demand for the Honda Civic hybrid which was launched two years ago. Even though the Civic was priced lower than the Prius Honda managed to sell only 60 cars in six months before withdrawing the model from the market. The Honda Civic was priced at $45,725 while the Toyota Prius is priced at around $55,600 (1 US$ = 47.07 INR). This drastic change can be attributed to various reasons.

In the recent few years, the central government has started offering subsidies on electric cars. One of the most famous electric cars in the world today is the Reva manufactured by the Reva Electric Car Company based in Bangaluru, India. Although the car has become very popular abroad, it has failed to make a mark in the Indian market.

There was an international hue and cry when the TATA Motors launched the Nano (world’s cheapest car) in 2008. People across the world voiced concerns about the resulting carbon emissions when millions of Indians would buy the Nano. But even in the absence of an outright success of the ‘People’s Car’, the Indian auto market is buzzing. Last month, India’s largest car maker Maruti Suzuki recorded its highest ever sales.

One of them could probably be that today consumers have more information about the deteriorating state of the environment and concerns about one’s individual carbon footprint is increasing. Data released by the company shows that most of the consumers are doctors, industrialists and top executives, that is the people having the most and the easiest access to information.

Although the the government provides subsides for electric cars buyers there still isn’t the adequate infrastructure for charging the batteries that could attract the consumers, plus to own a car is a status symbol in the Indian society and small cars or domestic brands do not match up to that criteria. So go for the next best thing, a hybrid which comes from a well-known international brand.

http://cleantechnica.com/2010/06/09/toyota-overwhelmed-by-demand-for-prius-in-india/

• 3 weeks later...