• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Vehicles

prasa

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys....

Does any one know what are the Honda Hybrid vehicles available in Sri Lanaka.

and the price range of those vehicles ( after the duty free from the budget)???????

Thnks in advance...

Prasa.

I saw one beautiful white color Civic FD3 available at Kohuwala Subaru place before the budget and priced 4.9 million.

Hi guys....

Does any one know what are the Honda Hybrid vehicles available in Sri Lanaka.

and the price range of those vehicles ( after the duty free from the budget)???????

Thnks in advance...

Prasa.

Prasa, all it takes is a call to the agents. Thats what I did.

Prasa, all it takes is a call to the agents. Thats what I did.

Called them machan... at the moment no hybrid available at agents

They said some recon stuff available with local car dealers.

Thats y i started this tread..

Thanks..

Called them machan... at the moment no hybrid available at agents

They said some recon stuff available with local car dealers.

Thats y i started this tread..

Thanks..

Well if youre looking at brand new, best wait a while....they're working on it.

Well if youre looking at brand new, best wait a while....they're working on it.

Just Thought of a recondition one.. 2008 model..

wonder whether that model suits for sri lankan condition...

Agents said that mother company doesnt have any model design yet to Srilankan market..

any idea ????????

Yep I asked t*y*t* lanka today they said that the mother company has not yet decided whether the prius is suitable for sri lanka.

Probably because of the high dust floods ect..

They don't explain why they stooped importing it previously

The car sale guys will bring them down but we won't be able to service repair them.

Wait till the verdict of the company.

Yet i won't use 3wheellers till they make decisions

@prasa: my brother has a honda FD3 hybrid. fantastic machine. got it recon 20,000 clicks (j1 certified) for 4.75 million pre-budget. has a 1.3 liter i-VTEC motor which generates 90bhp and two electric motors which generate 20 each. has oodles more torgue than its gas-guzzling counterpart. brakes, being dynamos, are rock solid, and don't fade when wet! and the most important question: it does around 15kmpl city, and close to 18kmpl highway. those are our calculations. not the book's. compared to the stock FD3 that's super. oddly, my ek3 multimatic on econo mode gets the same mileage! its got all the bells and whistles you can think of. agents dont' import it. so you have to get recon. i think its the dog's bollocks. really.

@clark's son: they don't explain why they stopped importing it previously, because, at 7 million quid a pop, THEY DIDN'T RECEIVE ONE SINGLE ORDER!! and that's the god-honest truth. all prius' here are brought down recon. agents did not sell even one. there's a finance company on facebook at the mo offering prius' 09 model at 3.5 mil, which is quite decent.

@admin: i've tried my best to make this not sound like an ad, but do edit if you see fit. my apologies.

Edited by Komisiripala

@prasa: my brother has a honda FD3 hybrid. fantastic machine. got it recon 20,000 clicks (j1 certified) for 4.75 million pre-budget. has a 1.3 liter i-VTEC motor which generates 90bhp and two electric motors which generate 20 each. has oodles more torgue than its gas-guzzling counterpart. brakes, being dynamos, are rock solid, and don't fade when wet! and the most important question: it does around 15kmpl city, and close to 18kmpl highway. those are our calculations. not the book's. compared to the stock FD3 that's super. oddly, my ek3 multimatic on econo mode gets the same mileage! its got all the bells and whistles you can think of. agents dont' import it. so you have to get recon. i think its the dog's bollocks. really.

@clark's son: they don't explain why they stopped importing it previously, because, at 7 million quid a pop, THEY DIDN'T RECEIVE ONE SINGLE ORDER!! and that's the god-honest truth. all prius' here are brought down recon. agents did not sell even one. there's a finance company on facebook at the mo offering prius' 09 model at 3.5 mil, which is quite decent.

@admin: i've tried my best to make this not sound like an ad, but do edit if you see fit. my apologies.

Thnks Bro...

Heard that able to get a recon Civic under 2.2 mil from local car deaalers..

Is it possible under the new budget...

My main concern is all 2007/08/09 models are came with 1.3L engine, while perius are able to get

1.5 and 1.8L engines.

have u experienced any under power issue regarding ur bro's vehicle..

Thnks in advance..

Prasa.

your ek3 multimatic gives you 15 in town and 18 in outstation in econo mode? are you sure?? <_<

Thnks Bro...

My main concern is all 2007/08/09 models are came with 1.3L engine, while perius are able to get

1.5 and 1.8L engines.

Thnks in advance..

Prasa.

WHAT! a recon civic for 2.2 mil???? WOW!

Price for the car in Japan is in the range of 1.2mill. so without the tax it could be cheaper than dat too

if these hybrids are going to end up costing considerably less that their non-hybrid counterparts then we're definitely going to see lot of them coming down, no matter what. there are lot of buyers in SL with a budget of around 2-3 million, so far they have been deprived of a decent car and i guess a hybrid may fill the void then.

My my aren't we an adventures bunch. I am pleasantly surprised by how open minded and eager people are to get their hands on a hybrid. Not that they are bad cars but this is a totally new territory and one thing past tells us is that local car buyers are not so flexible when it comes to change.

I have one question for you hybrid enthusiasts, how long are you planing on keeping the car???????

I was on the hunt for a hybrid last year (not in SL). What i found out was, almost all the hybrids what ever the make is comes with a 5 - 8 year warranty on the battery pack. What the sales guys at dealerships told me was 'hopefully' in the next 5 years time battery technology will advance to such an extend that there will be an economical way to either recharge or replace the battery, compared to what it cost now (he obviously made sure not to use the word 'hopefully').

If any of you have read any foreign literature on how to buy a used hybrid, one of the key points they stress is to get a status/fitness report on the battery pack via the dealership. It'll be interesting to see if this can be arranged for used JDMs??? Again not that it can't be done, it'll come at an extra expense. Unless the local authorities make the fitness test mandatory like what they did with the JAII certificate in mid 2000.

I sence hybrids to face a similar fate as to what happened with the used Euro imports (Peugs and BMs from UK). There will be lot of interest initially and importers will make sure to cater to that demand. In a year or two when its time to re-sell or when its time to meddle with the cars electronics then.........

But then again who knows the 'bass' down the road may find a way to convert the hybrid to a conventional gasoline car. (wasn't there a first gen Prius that has gone through exactly that in town? rememebr reading about it here few years back)

My view is, as some one has already expressed wait till the guinea pigs with steal balls to buy them and then make an imformed desision in a year or two. Don't let the low price tag blind your gudgement.

Don't forget chaps that the point of this tax break on electric and hybrid cars is not only for fuel efficiency but to increase the number of environmentally friendly, low-emissions, low-pollution vehicles in Sri Lanka.

The United States is the world's largest market for hybrid vehicles with hundreds of thousands of hybrids sold every year. People buy them there not only for fuel economy but because they want to minimize vehicle emissions and vehicle pollution in the air. And it works. New York City for instance has millions of cars more cars than Colombo yet the air is much cleaner than Colombo.

35n3te0.jpg

A fleet of U.S. government Toyota Prius in New York City

http://www.hybridcars.com/top-hybrid-cars-list

New York City for instance has millions of cars more cars than Colombo yet the air is much cleaner than Colombo.

A. No buses, lorries with diesel carbon emissions. People use the metro not their cars.

B. No three wheelers, motor bikes with 2T mixed with gasoline

C. Less dust particles in the air

D. A less number of vehicles that are 10 years or older

Have you been to or read about the air quality in Los-Angeles? Worse than Colombo alright?

Hybrids are definitely the way forward. Environmental sustainability should be key but there aren't as much hybrids in the US as you would like to think. The local police and a few government organizations like the DOT, like in your pic (dept of transportation) try to increase awareness in the community of renewable energy. But there are other economic factors to the equation when a private party considers a hybrid.

Your just letting a picture fool you with reality.

if these hybrids are going to end up costing considerably less that their non-hybrid counterparts then we're definitely going to see lot of them coming down, no matter what. there are lot of buyers in SL with a budget of around 2-3 million, so far they have been deprived of a decent car and i guess a hybrid may fill the void then.

Yup u got that right

I have one question for you hybrid enthusiasts, how long are you planing on keeping the car???????

I was on the hunt for a hybrid last year (not in SL). What i found out was, almost all the hybrids what ever the make is comes with a 5 - 8 year warranty on the battery pack. What the sales guys at dealerships told me was 'hopefully' in the next 5 years time battery technology will advance to such an extend that there will be an economical way to either recharge or replace the battery, compared to what it cost now (he obviously made sure not to use the word 'hopefully').

There will be lot of interest initially and importers will make sure to cater to that demand. In a year or two when its time to re-sell or when its time to meddle with the cars electronics then.........

My view is, as some one has already expressed wait till the guinea pigs with steal balls to buy them and then make an imformed desision in a year or two. Don't let the low price tag blind your gudgement.

Exactly. We hear so many stories of 'maka basses', various other so called experts and the agents themselves messing up everyday gasoline driven cars in SL. Not to mention the fact that most used cars out there have been rather badly used due to past owner negligence. And you lot wanna get down cars with tech that's still in development in developed countries themselves? :lol: Forgive me, but that's just plain stupid.

Most people out there are just looking for a good deal and that's all it is. Environmentally conscious, my a$$! As long as you can use it and abuse for two years and then get it off your hands, that's enough eh?

A. No buses, lorries with diesel carbon emissions. People use the metro not their cars.

B. No three wheelers, motor bikes with 2T mixed with gasoline

C. Less dust particles in the air

D. A less number of vehicles that are 10 years or older

Have you been to or read about the air quality in Los-Angeles? Worse than Colombo alright?

Hybrids are definitely the way forward. Environmental sustainability should be key but there aren't as much hybrids in the US as you would like to think. The local police and a few government organizations like the DOT, like in your pic (dept of transportation) try to increase awareness in the community of renewable energy. But there are other economic factors to the equation when a private party considers a hybrid.

Your just letting a picture fool you with reality.

I've lived in Colombo and Los Angeles and New York City. You can walk down Sunset Blvd in LA or 5th Ave in NYC and not smell vehicle exhaust emissions, even though there are thousands of cars on those streets. You cannot walk down Galle Rd in Colombo without chocking on the exhaust fumes. The thick black hazardous toxic vehicle exhaust fumes coming out by the buses, lorries, vans and 3 wheelers with no emissions controls in Colombo produces an environment that is much, much, much worse than even the worst U.S. city. For scientific data to back up what I am saying I refer you to this study on air pollution in world cities by the world Health Organization.

http://econ.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTDEC/EXTRESEARCH/0,,contentMDK:20785646~pagePK:64214825~piPK:64214943~theSitePK:469382,00.html

Sri Lanka scored a poor 94 pollution level (a little worse than India but much better than Pakistan), the United States a 26, Sweden a very clean 13.

All your points, A, B, C, D on the causes of vehicle air pollution in Sri Lanka make sense. I'd add that it's past short-sighted government planning and policy that has created the air pollution problem in Sri Lanka. The govt could easily have mandated strict vehicle emission controls on all vehicles in the 70's and avoided this air pollution problem.

The United States is the largest market for hybrid vehicles in the world.

Here are some figures (courtesy of JD Powers, 2020 projections):

United States (1.7 million units),

Europe (977,000 units)

Japan (875,000 units)

http://ecofriendlytip.com/2010/10/27/future-global-market-demand-for-hybrid-and-battery-electric-vehicles-may-be-over-hyped-wild-card-is-china/

I didn't mean to imply that hybrids are the sole reason for low pollution levels in the U.S.

Government and public awareness about vehicle exhaust pollution, and REQUIRED strict vehicle emission controls on vehicles have much more to do with it. Hybrids were first sold in the U.S. only 12 years ago and account for less than 5% of total vehicle sales there.

2h2pa8n.jpg

Three generations of the Toyota Prius, the world's best selling hybrid vehicle. Almost 2 million sold, half of them in the United States.

a0vryw.jpg

The current Toyota Prius, about $25,000 ( 2.5 million rupees) brand new in the U.S.

2z5jb7q.jpg

The second generation Honda Insight hybrid, the main competitor to the Prius. About $20,000 (2 million rupees) in the U.S. Best selling car in Japan upon its launch in 2009.

2vum45t.jpg

The state of the art in hybrid cars: The 2011 Chevrolet Volt, about $40,000 (4 million rupees) in the U.S.

19oad4.jpg

This is the future of the car: The all electric Nissan Leaf. About $40,000 (4 millions rupees). Sold out in the U.S. for 2011.

(All images courtesy of Wikipedia)

Edited by Californikan

your ek3 multimatic gives you 15 in town and 18 in outstation in econo mode? are you sure?? <_<

its just the way you drive it. it doesn't do 15 in the city. 10-12 tops. my bad. this is a non-vtec issue here, so i'm not sure what the "econ" mode on the vtec models do. for someone who did a lot of long distance driving, i was honestly shocked myself at those figures. it also boils down to how you drive it i suppose. sticking to a cool 80kmph on a soaking wet day on empty roads for 400km gave me 23kmpl. trying to brake the land speed record on the same track on a bright sunny day left me with around 12-14kmpl.

Thnks Bro...

1.5 and 1.8L engines.

Thnks in advance..

Prasa.

when it's running on the electric assist, it has more torque than the conventional gasoline counterpart. more so than most of the vehicles in its class. but if u run out of electric squirt, then you're really stuck with a heavy car that has a 1.3liter motor. not pleasant. the electrics work much the same way the prius does.

as for maintenance, the agents are equipped to handle it, and are gearing up for the hybrid influx. this car in japan comes with a 8-10 year warranty on the battery, which leads me to assume that it's good to last that long at least. at the mo, it costs 500k to replace the battery pack once its cycle finishes. don't know what that will be in 6-7 years time.

i doubt the prices might come down to 2.2, but you never know tho...

and my brother sends his thanks for those kind words on his balls. :)

as for maintenance, the agents are equipped to handle it, and are gearing up for the hybrid influx. this car in japan comes with a 8-10 year warranty on the battery, which leads me to assume that it's good to last that long at least. at the mo, it costs 500k to replace the battery pack once its cycle finishes. don't know what that will be in 6-7 years time.

This is the first time i have heard of a warranty having a expiry date range. Anyway what's the point of having a 8-10 year warranty as i highly doubt that warranty is horned here in SL.

I don't think any hybrid pessimist have any doubts about agents capabilities to carry out repairs. I think the main issue is having to be restricted to the agents for repairs as there's aren't any 3rd party guru's at least to take a second opinion.

this 500k figure for the battery pack is that via the agent or through a 3rd party?

Please do keep us posted. I'm sure your first hand info/feedback will be very valuable to potential hybrid buyers.

Send my warm welcome to your brother.

Most people out there are just looking for a good deal and that's all it is. Environmentally conscious, my a$$! As long as you can use it and abuse for two years and then get it off your hands, that's enough eh? [/font]

It's quite an irony that people who stretch their pennies to buy a Toyota due to its superior market acceptance seems to have completely overlooked the future resale value associated with hybrids.

If the hybrid sales does take off here i can picture in few years Delkanda area been filled with 'used' battery packs LOL....