• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot Automatic Transmission

techlove

Question

I got a transmission prob with my '00 Peugeot 406 2.0L ,what I learned from a couple of Peugeot pro's was that 406's inherited with short life automatic transmissions and aren't reliable even after fix them.

Does anyone have expieriences,openions or any usefull info on this,please share with me.

6 answers to this question

I got a transmission prob with my '00 Peugeot 406 2.0L ,what I learned from a couple of Peugeot pro's was that 406's inherited with short life automatic transmissions and aren't reliable even after fix them.

Does anyone have expieriences,openions or any usefull info on this,please share with me.

What is the problem you have? Is it in "limp home" mode (only 3rd gear)?

The AL4 automatic transmission on the facelifted (1999 onwards) 406's had a high failure rate (resulting in "limp home" mode); because of a solenoid that was used in it. You can find more info about it here: http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/transmis/al4/solenoid.htm

Sifaan said it all about the AL4/DPO gearbox failure and often it's from the solenoid valve. Typical symptoms are limp home mode only on 3rd gear and sometimes car won't move on the D. Snow and Sports mode lights on the dash will start blinking. What are the symptoms? I have a feeling that yours is not the limp home mode issue. Best way to start diagnosis is to hook up with a diagnose tool and read the codes.

Right now my reverse gear is totaly dead,the car won't backup at all,and yeah I got a kind of thud noise with a jumpy move on farward,not sure if it,s 2nd or 3rd gear.

assuming the problem is with the valve; I checked with the mechanic and apparently there is a procedure where they remove the valve, clean it, and replace it. about a 20 minute job and supposed to be good for about a year or so (after which the cleaning may be needed again). however if that is all it takes I can't imagine that the AL4 would have such a bad reputation as it does.

if the newer valve is available it's probably good for peace of mind to get it replaced.

anyway, if you PM me your number I can give you some contacts of people who can firstly do the diagnostics and secondly clean the valve if that's what's needed...

Just out of curiosity...wouldn't the reverse gear not working be a sign of a blow tranny rather than just a solenoid?

well, if the solenoid is faulty, the ECU detects that there's something wrong in the gearbox and it goes into "limp home" mode (basically to ensure you don't do any further damage to it)

but I think in limp home the reverse gear should still work, so it may indeed be some other problem.