• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Common Car Myths

jdnet

I think when it comes to Diesel engines, and longevity Isuzu is the one to beat :) If you want examples, look at the number of lorries from the 1970s 1980s still in operation (slowly being replaced by Indian versions).

True, I know one, on which the odometer is stuck. Daily driven around 25kms. As I know, it was running since 1984 and the engine was overhauled once in between. Still running good.

Conclusion - Toyota engines living longer than others = Myth

This one guy I knew had more than 500,000 Miles (roughly 804,000 km) on his chrysler 300m. Engine was all original (except wear parts). Haven't talked to him in a couple of years so don't know what he has on this odo now. Oh yeah he did only highway driving and had to drive a lot for work....hence the mileage. I had about 170k miles (273 km) on my old grand cherokee.

I guess it has more to do with the owner taking care of the vehicle, than it has to do with the badge on it (now I'm only talking about vehicles from the better manufacturers out there, not chinese stuff).

This one guy I knew had more than 500,000 Miles (roughly 804,000 km) on his chrysler 300m. Engine was all original (except wear parts). Haven't talked to him in a couple of years so don't know what he has on this odo now. Oh yeah he did only highway driving and had to drive a lot for work....hence the mileage. I had about 170k miles (273 km) on my old grand cherokee.

Ok, now that's an extreme use of a sports car :o Anyway, good to have more backing info, thanks! Also I remember in TG US them saying london cabs do more than a million miles during their lifetime, that 1.6 mil kms! blink.gif

I guess it has more to do with the owner taking care of the vehicle, than it has to do with the badge on it (now I'm only talking about vehicles from the better manufacturers out there, not chinese stuff).

And not Indian stuff either I guess, they seem to rot to bits very quickly

Edited by BLu3HaZe

Haha.... not bad ripper "built Ford tough" in action I see.

However, I see your 230k and raise you this...

image3242.jpg

'93 Hilux 106. 3L Motor, one rebuild at 250k.

Of course pretty much any brand new import with traceable, proper service history should be capable of going on indefinitely if you run it enough and keep it running well.

My Lux ( 1989 106 ) has done 520K plus.........was last rebuilt at approx 475K or so by the guy who owned it before. :)

Not too sure if anything was done before tho....

Edited by SHAI

My dad did that to me when I wanted to buy a 1.8 V6 MX3, saying it'll use a lotta fuel. I'm pretty sure my current 1.6 4 pot uses more than that car would!

I initially wanted to get a Euro or a Subaru and my dad vehemently protested for getting one. This was mainly due to he saying it's near impossible to resell the car. If you stop and think about it for 5 minutes it makes a lot of sense. When an average Sri Lankan guy, getting a lease/loan and buying a car and you're a bit tight on cash, resale value and how easy to sell your car plays a major role. Also, in the current economic situation here you'll never know when you'll be needing a considerable chunk of money. It's pretty clear to anyone reading the forum recently, that everyone jumps on how hip to drive a car that's having superior engineering and is different from owning just another boring Toyota. And couple of myth busters regarding Euros are hard to maintain, resell etc.. etc.. With recent experience from VVTi, it's quite evident that it's indeed very hard to resell a Euro. Fact. Also, for you guys before you saying I was flat broke when I bought my BMW, please bear with me until I finish my argument :)

So, for an average bloke after a lease/loan if he doesn't have 5 - 10 lakhs of liquid cash lying around (pick your numbers here) and still want to get a Subaru 'cos it's fast and cool, that decision, according to my perception is just stupid. Owning a car that's easy to sell becomes a huge advantage in this case. I know many of you will jump at me saying you just resold your Subaru in a blink of an eye, I'm not talking about you guys here. I'm more or less talking about an average joe who's not very conversant with cars just getting one 'cos it's really hip and honk pass an Axio in a heart beat. When it comes to get a new set of seventeen inch low pro tyres ... man, it's worth it 'cos it look sexy right? Think twice and be smart.

What I wanted to highlight is that no matter what kind of investment you do, you have to be smart about it. Assess your situation and make the right choice. Again, I'm not talking about people with diga Prados and cool STIs. Guys, by all means! Don't endup in stingy financial situations and wish all that torque should go up your nether.

I initially wanted to get a Euro or a Subaru and my dad vehemently protested for getting one. This was mainly due to he saying it's near impossible to resell the car. If you stop and think about it for 5 minutes it makes a lot of sense. When an average Sri Lankan guy, getting a lease/loan and buying a car and you're a bit tight on cash, resale value and how easy to sell your car plays a major role. Also, in the current economic situation here you'll never know when you'll be needing a considerable chunk of money. It's pretty clear to anyone reading the forum recently, that everyone jumps on how hip to drive a car that's having superior engineering and is different from owning just another boring Toyota. And couple of myth busters regarding Euros are hard to maintain, resell etc.. etc.. With recent experience from VVTi, it's quite evident that it's indeed very hard to resell a Euro. Fact. Also, for you guys before you saying I was flat broke when I bought my BMW, please bear with me until I finish my argument :)

So, for an average bloke after a lease/loan if he doesn't have 5 - 10 lakhs of liquid cash lying around (pick your numbers here) and still want to get a Subaru 'cos it's fast and cool, that decision, according to my perception is just stupid. Owning a car that's easy to sell becomes a huge advantage in this case. I know many of you will jump at me saying you just resold your Subaru in a blink of an eye, I'm not talking about you guys here. I'm more or less talking about an average joe who's not very conversant with cars just getting one 'cos it's really hip and honk pass an Axio in a heart beat. When it comes to get a new set of seventeen inch low pro tyres ... man, it's worth it 'cos it look sexy right? Think twice and be smart.

What I wanted to highlight is that no matter what kind of investment you do, you have to be smart about it. Assess your situation and make the right choice. Again, I'm not talking about people with diga Prados and cool STIs. Guys, by all means! Don't endup in stingy financial situations and wish all that torque should go up your nether.

Valid point, although I should point out that this "toyotas are investments" malarky is a uniquely Sri Lankan phenomenon.

At the end of the day though, this is still primarily a forum for enthusiasts and because of that most of us here will continue to make our "unsound" financial choices simply because we love the cars that we drive. To us, Life is too short to be spent in a boring white box no matter how many wanker mirrors, push start buttons and "as pihatu lights" it has.

No one argues the fact that Axios, Allions and the like are competent products, its just that they are simply that: products. An appliance for getting from A to B with minimal involvement or emotion, the absolute antithesis of what an actual enthusiast looks for in a car. Which basically is why some of us choose to go down a rather different automotive route no matter how "not smart" we look to the Toyota worshiping herds.

Valid point, although I should point out that this "toyotas are investments" malarky is a uniquely Sri Lankan phenomenon.

At the end of the day though, this is still primarily a forum for enthusiasts and because of that most of us here will continue to make our "unsound" financial choices simply because we love the cars that we drive. To us, Life is too short to be spent in a boring white box no matter how many wanker mirrors, push start buttons and "as pihatu lights" it has.

No one argues the fact that Axios, Allions and the like are competent products, its just that they are simply that: products. An appliance for getting from A to B with minimal involvement or emotion, the absolute antithesis of what an actual enthusiast looks for in a car. Which basically is why some of us choose to go down a rather different automotive route no matter how "not smart" we look to the Toyota worshiping herds.

grinning-smiley-003.gif

Right on man. :appl:

Encore! Of course machang! I think it's because of you guys (hard core enthusiasts) that this forum is alive and has become the vibrant community it is now. I was just making a point to the average joe who's going to get his very first ride machang.

• Like 1