• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Me Pick A Dog

jdnet

Ok so I am thinking getting a new dog soon. Basically I had a couple of labradors 5 years ago but I had to give them away when I moved. I really like labs but I'm looking for a smaller breed. Here's what I need:

1. Loyalty

2. Ability to be trained well

3. Ability to be a good guard dog and be able to stay inside the house without making a mess.

4. Size basically a little smaller than the labs when fully grown.

5. Less fur.

I'm thinking beagle but let me know if you have any ideas. Fuel consumption and spare parts don't really matter. lol.

Edited by jdnet

Best I have had is a Ridgeback. Very very loyal and loving. Muscled and magnificent dog, very protective of the family. But they are quite big. If u are looking for small ones, best around is Beagle. I don't know if they are easy to find here in SL though. Your other option would be the dachshund - they are very common. Bulldog is also an interesting option :)

Given the option I would go for a hound any day. If I were you, I would definitely go for Beagle

Best I have had is a Ridgeback. Very very loyal and loving. Muscled and magnificent dog, very protective of the family. But they are quite big. If u are looking for small ones, best around is Beagle. I don't know if they are easy to find here in SL though. Your other option would be the dachshund - they are very common. Bulldog is also an interesting option :)

Given the option I would go for a hound any day. If I were you, I would definitely go for Beagle

I have to agree with Ridgeback. Amazing dog. One of the best dogs our family has had. Gentleman of a dog the Ridgeback is. Unfortunately our fellow died last June when our parents were out of the country for about a month. They say it got really depressed. Bought another little fellow around August. Doberman is a good guard dog, have had one of them too. But if your planning on having a kid or two within next 10 years might want to rethink your strategy.

I have to agree with Ridgeback. Amazing dog. One of the best dogs our family has had. Gentleman of a dog the Ridgeback is. Unfortunately our fellow died last June when our parents were out of the country for about a month. They say it got really depressed.

I have a similar story too.

ours died when we had to leave the poor fellow in the care of a caretaker for few months :(

Needs lots of love and exercise, real gentleman, great with children, and probably the canine version of usain bolt. what athletes these ridgebacks are :)

utterly faithful and absolutely loving. no two words about it

Edited by scds

I have to agree with Ridgeback. Amazing dog. One of the best dogs our family has had. Gentleman of a dog the Ridgeback is. Unfortunately our fellow died last June when our parents were out of the country for about a month. They say it got really depressed. Bought another little fellow around August. Doberman is a good guard dog, have had one of them too. But if your planning on having a kid or two within next 10 years might want to rethink your strategy.

Mine died last November, after a minor operation due to the horrible, careless Vet. It was a simple operation, and she wasn't recovering. We informed the Vet multiple times, but the Vet was saying it's all normal etc and asked us to be patient. After she died, the Vet admitted that she would have survived if he had paid more attention to her... :(

Mine died last November, after a minor operation due to the horrible, careless Vet. It was a simple operation, and she wasn't recovering. We informed the Vet multiple times, but the Vet was saying it's all normal etc and asked us to be patient. After she died, the Vet admitted that she would have survived if he had paid more attention to her... :(

same thing happened to my mothers dog. The vet was a freaking idiot. She went postal and was about to hit the vet.

Seriously she sure did love her japanese spitz. That thing wouldn't let anyone (myself included) get within ten feet of her.

Basset Hound?

Isn't Basset hound hard to maintain with their long ears. They tend to get ear infections.

I never had this special breeds, but only few common dogs here. But knew few of them with frieds and relatives which they faced various issues with the illnesses time to time, which delayed me having one. But always wanted to try a Beagle, which I think good for a starter.

lol that isn't going to work. If it's going to stay inside my house it's gotta look decent....

There are good looking waltations :) My aunt had one. Even the current dog is a mixed breed, tho not a big one. Very excitable and energetic tho. I'd show you some pics, but we can't access FB from work, so it'll have to wait.

I also think WALSATION is the best. No worm treatment or pavo are required. Hazzle free. My big born ridgeback is having a urine infection and admitted at the hospital for 5 days and he was almost dying and now recovering slowly. Acutually it is going to doctor more frequent than my children. at the puppy stage it had tick fever.

I have got a female walsatoion and no serious sickness for ever since.

I dont think Ridgebacks will suit you, they need space. Especially as one said they are athletes, Running is one of the favorite activities. Can grow into very large size, even to the size of big Great Danes.

I think Beagles or Daschunds may be the best option.

Daschunds are very energetic like to play and be amusement to all. Can be kept indoors easily. Easy to find in Sri lanka. Easy to take care of. Very loyal and on the look for strangers and other animals. Only things is because of their energeticness, they like to keep on barking to any unknown figures. But its not much of an issue.

I also think WALSATION is the best. No worm treatment or pavo are required. Hazzle free. My big born ridgeback is having a urine infection and admitted at the hospital for 5 days and he was almost dying and now recovering slowly. Acutually it is going to doctor more frequent than my children. at the puppy stage it had tick fever.

I have got a female walsatoion and no serious sickness for ever since.

I agree.. Local bred so called "Walstation" meet the criteria. I have a female one.. vaccine'd and undergone a through surgery.. so no worries about pups :D

she's large.. loyal... and lovable and can be lethal if needed.no diseases except occasional digestive probs.. take care by her own by eating some kind of grass..

there are walstations who grow like little calf's.. if u find one take home.. .:D

Well don't try Embark, as they're getting a lot of bad press these days (unless you look to see if it's undeserved). Funny how everyone's suggesting big dogs, when he clearly said in his first post he wants something smaller than a lab :D Have seen a couple of beagles here, but both of them were prone to ear infections so you should watch out. Best thing to do is go to one of those Kennel Club shows, and check out the breeds there. You can even talk to the owners and get a better idea of the smaller breeds. Obviously, dog's (like cars) should never be a rush purchase. I've mostly had labs all my life so can't really comment on other breeds, but I guess Daschunds are popular small dogs here, if you're just looking for company and not a guard dog (though they can be quite nippy!) There was a thread on this topic about a year back, do a search and see.

With Peri on the Cross breed route - had 7 great years of owning a stray which we took in off the streets - very resilient , utterly loyal & easily house trained

Quite a number of friends own Labs and as such have a soft spot for them - intelligent & affectionate dogs!

The Beagle route may be sensible as well ,cuz from what i've read they're supposed to be a fairly trouble free breed (aside from being a little hyper & noisy at times) - M.M might be able to shed more light on Beagles

same thing happened to my mothers dog. The vet was a freaking idiot. She went postal and was about to hit the vet.

Seriously she sure did love her japanese spitz. That thing wouldn't let anyone (myself included) get within ten feet of her.

Yep spitz are very loyal, but sometimes annoying cause they dont stop barking when someone comes over.Doesnt even eat food offered by others, they are a good breed exept for the fur part.