• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speedometer Modification

trinity

the closest you can get to this is if you remove all the bulbs and install white LED's. might need a resistor to make them brighter also. there's a place in panchikawatte or pettah that does this. any help on whereabouts, ppl?

They have the 12v ones that do not need a resistor. Costs a little more. I installed em on the tribute.

They have the 12v ones that do not need a resistor. Costs a little more. I installed em on the tribute.

Mchan how does it looks like after the installation? does it looks like the meter panel that i have posted here?? did u changed the needle also??? cuz my meter panel has red color ones & i need them to be glowing white as shown in the picture.... please help..

For the most part it's pretty bright but unless your guage needles use a dedicated light to light em up, you are going to have problems with the needles. Mine does, since it some plastic to deliver light to the needle. If that is the case you will have to wire up some LEDs to shine directly at the needle. I need to do that. Will make a write up as soon as I get to it....maybe i'll just get her dome tomorrow.

Mchan how does it looks like after the installation? does it looks like the meter panel that i have posted here?? did u changed the needle also??? cuz my meter panel has red color ones & i need them to be glowing white as shown in the picture.... please help..

if your needles are red then you will have to change them if you want them to be white

Hi Guys,,,

I want to change my speedometer like in the attached pic... Any place to get it done in col??? (i have a lancer cs1)

Thanks a lot

i have a cs1 and i changed the bulbs to leds. check out the pic to see how it looks now. i know its no match for what you want but at least its brighter than the stock. and as siffan said, you need to replace the needles if you want them to be white.

post-39576-003371600 1294218186_thumb.jp

Edited by E L N I N O

if your needles are red then you will have to change them if you want them to be white

actually since the actual needle isn't colored plastic he could remove the layer of paint on the bottom and repaint it to a color he wants. I think there are specific paints to be used....eitherway he would not need to go out and find new needles.

actually since the actual needle isn't colored plastic he could remove the layer of paint on the bottom and repaint it to a color he wants. I think there are specific paints to be used....eitherway he would not need to go out and find new needles.

Hi guys

Sorry if i disturb the main heading on this post

what is cost of LED Dash bulb here in the market now ? :) and also from where to buy them ?

thought of installing them on my classic

thanks

regards

sumith

Edited by Sumiya

Hi guys

Sorry if i disturb the main heading on this post

what is cost of LED Dash bulb here in the market now ? :) and also from where to buy them ?

thought of installing them on my classic

thanks

regards

sumith

I bought them at 350 a piece IIRC from that alternator place on darley road.

cool topic guys, i also need some advise,is it possible to replace vios meter panel with yaris one ? thankss.

Not a direct replacement may need more wiring work , and also not an wise decision

what is the reason to go for a yaris gauge in vios ?

thanks

regards

sumith

if it has a paint layer then I guess some kind of metallic silver paint should do the trick. but would need to test and confirm the solvents in the paint don't "melt" the plastic :huh:

my needles are not painted (it's red translucent plastic) and I assumed it was the same - my bad :)

if it has a paint layer then I guess some kind of metallic silver paint should do the trick. but would need to test and confirm the solvents in the paint don't "melt" the plastic :huh:

my needles are not painted (it's red translucent plastic) and I assumed it was the same - my bad :)

This might be a stupid question but could you not create the color you want using the RGB color model? Basically if your needle is one color can you light it with another color to end up with the one you want?

Hi Guys,,,

I want to change my speedometer like in the attached pic... Any place to get it done in col??? (i have a lancer cs1)

Thanks a lot

I think i saw these LED's in s*nlanka but not sure if they will install them for free,basically it will cost you about 300 each.Or you could buy the cheaper small ones and pair them with a resistor, but its gonna be messy.Installing them looks pretty simple.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-you-cars-instrument-panel-lights-with-LEDs/

Btw Jd cant you do a DIY article for this ?

This might be a stupid question but could you not create the color you want using the RGB color model? Basically if your needle is one color can you light it with another color to end up with the one you want?

Yeah but the effect wont be very appealing cause the areas that get more light will have a different color than the areas that get less light.

Not a direct replacement may need more wiring work , and also not an wise decision

what is the reason to go for a yaris gauge in vios ?

thanks

regards

sumith

mmmmmm. vios speedometer comes with dark red color back ground light. but yaris one has more attractive speedometer than vios. it has blue and white lights for each number. both of them have same indicaters and same shape:) thats y i asked that.

Lol. I was planning on doing it today but I was stuck building a grill for the tribute. Will get to it tomorrow.

Lol i wonder if your vehicle actually looks like one of those crazy cars top gear guys make with all these DIY jobs ;)

Looking forward to seeing this one

Edited by The Stig

mmmmmm. vios speedometer comes with dark red color back ground light. but yaris one has more attractive speedometer than vios. it has blue and white lights for each number. both of them have same indicaters and same shape:) thats y i asked that.

Well you can always change the color of the lights :rolleyes:

Lol i wonder if your vehicle actually looks like one on those crazy cars top gear guys make with all these DIY jobs ;)

Looking forward to seeing this one

Nope it basically looks stock with a few improvements. Most people won't notice em though. Although one thing I can say it that all the mechanical parts are well maintained. I spent the last month going through a lot of parts and either cleaning, regreasing or putting in new gaskets. Next on my huge to-do list is the transmission.

i have a cs1 and i changed the bulbs to leds. check out the pic to see how it looks now. i know its no match for what you want but at least its brighter than the stock. and as siffan said, you need to replace the needles if you want them to be white.

Looks decent, but why the corners are faded than the middle??? is it cuz it doesn't have any space to fix more bulbs?? ( pardon me if i'm speaking non sense cuz my knowledge on this is very limited) anyway i'm just in love with that Cygnus meter panel & i just want to change mine like that anyhow. ( of course for a reasonable price :rolleyes:) any advice on a place where i can get this done??? i want to change the bulbs (to 12V LEDs) & the needles too..... Really appreciate your input guys...

cheers

p.s

see how poor my lights are :(

Looks decent, but why the corners are faded than the middle??? is it cuz it doesn't have any space to fix more bulbs??

The corners were lit by T5 LEDs (check the pics). They are the standard type for the CS1 cluster. But when u install them, the lighting is very poor. So I installed T10 LEDs just for the main meter modifying them to fit into the T5 socket. They play better since each one of them have about 5 SMDs facing all directions. Didnt go changing the corner ones to T10s. The actual lighting is kinda brighter than whats shown in the earlier pic so i decided to live with that for the time being.

T5 LED (Twist Lock)

Panel%20LED-NEO%20WEDGE-T5-W.JPG

T10 LED

T10_0020_5SMD-600a.jpg

Edited by E L N I N O

well, color mixing does happen; but in this case not with the RGB model

RGB model is for an additive scenario - e.g. red light + green light will give you yellow. this is what happens e.g. in TVs (if you put a drop of water on the screen you can see the red, green, blue dots)

but what is happening in the needle is a subtractive model, like in printing

when white light (mix of all colors) falls on a red reflective surface, or goes through a red filter, you will get red light (everything else is lost)

if you shine yellow light (=red + green), we still get red, but less bright/vivid than with the white light because the reds may have been different

if you shine blue light (there is no red component) then the result will be black, because the red reflector won't reflect blue (and the red filter won't let blue through)

the above is assuming the needle is "pure" red, which isn't going to be the case, but basically you're not likely to get good results trying to mix colors :)

The corners were lit by T5 LEDs (check the pics). They are the standard type for the CS1 cluster. But when u install them, the lighting is very poor. So I installed T10 LEDs just for the main meter modifying them to fit into the T5 socket. They play better since each one of them have about 5 SMDs facing all directions. Didnt go changing the corner ones to T10s. The actual lighting is kinda brighter than whats shown in the earlier pic so i decided to live with that for the time being.

T5 LED

T5%205050%20WHITE.JPG

T10 LED

T10_0020_5SMD-600a.jpg

Not sure about T5, but T10 (or W5W) is a spec for filament bulbs so doesn't really influence how many LEDs there will be on it; there are single LED, single SMD, 5 SMD, 9 SMD, 13 SMD versions. also 25 SMD etc but those SMDs are smaller.

Of course the 9/13 SMD ones are bigger than the original spec so may not fit, especially in a tight space like a instrument cluster (e.g. I can use the 13 SMD for parking lights but only 5 SMD for most interior lights)