• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Performance Of Maintenance Free Battery

hatharasinghe

Hi all

what is the differences between normal battery and smae capacity maintenance free battery if the vehicle drives low km per day suppose just 6 to 7 km then will there be low charging of normal battery and such conditions how about the maintenance free battery . Or suppose vehicle start once a week then normal batter surely discharge but what is a maintenance free battery does it give the relavent AMP to start.and if maintenance free battery is in low charge can we recharge it or should throe away pls update me it will great help to select next battery.

thanks all.

• Like 1

i faced same problem that you told now,when i have to buy a battery for my car.i went to 4 shops, 2 of shops owners(i know them) recommended the normal battery.they said that they a getting more complains of them(on that time they had maintain free batteries for sell too)&normals batteries durability high. finally i decided to buy a normal battery :-)

Hi all

what is the differences between normal battery and smae capacity maintenance free battery if the vehicle drives low km per day suppose just 6 to 7 km then will there be low charging of normal battery and such conditions how about the maintenance free battery . Or suppose vehicle start once a week then normal batter surely discharge but what is a maintenance free battery does it give the relavent AMP to start.and if maintenance free battery is in low charge can we recharge it or should throe away pls update me it will great help to select next battery.

thanks all.

You deal with a maintenance free battery as you would a standard lead acid battery. The only difference is you need to top of the electrolyte levels of a normal battery once in a while. This is normally done when you service the car. The difference is maintenance free batteries have a longer life span. But as far as voltage and amperage is concerned it is whatever is stated on them (basically these are properties of the battery and has nothing to do with manufacturer or type).

If you don't use the car a lot, I suggest a normal battery, as with this type of usage pattern batteries tend to go bad quicker irrespective of whether it is normal or maintenance free as the battery might get subjected to deep discharge because of not being charged (as the car is idle a lot) and even when running might not get . So its better to spend less :)

NadriquE,

Dry cell battery's are the batteries we use for torches and throw out.

Dry cell has a negative zinc pole, made out of a thin zinc metal tube bottom closed, with a Rod of carbon positive pole in the center rod.

Space between the carbon rod and the lead tube is filled with Zinc Chloride and Ammonium chloride and manganese dioxide is mixed like a paste.

Then top cover of the Dry cell is closed so that the carbon rod is used with a insulator. So when you connect a small bulb the bulb will light.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Maintenance free battery's we have in our cell phones and now they are available for automobiles also

The maintenance free battery's use new type of Absorbed Silicate Glass Mats", instead of separators between the plates.

Some of These type of batteries have gel filled also and various newer methods of maintenance free.

Every day the newer types of battery development is going on in developed countries. For Electric Vehicles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

is it the same thing a maintenance free battery and what they call "a dry battery"?

Not exactly machan

Yes a dry cell battery is a maintenance free battery but what we commonly refer to as "maintenance free batteries" are actually Lead acid batteries that are in a sealed enclosure. Though both a normal car battery and a maintenance free batteries are similar in terms of material used (lead-acid) what happens inside is a little different.

To make it sound simple to those who dont know much about chemistry a normal battery goes through a process called electrolysis during a charge-discharge cycle, what happens is the water in the battery separate into hydrogen and oxygen [ 2 H2O(l) → 2 H2(g) + O2(g) ] and they escapes the battery as gas thus creating the need to add water to compensate for the loss of water during the above mentioned process. A sealed lead-acid battery (maintenance free battery) uses calcium alloys that reduces electrolysis, which means that there is no need to add water from time to time cause the battery wont run out of water in the first place.

The Lead acid batteries have wet or liquid state material (mostly in the form of a gel) in them while a dry cell battery does not contain any form of liquid acid or any other fluid. Commonly dry cell is made out of Zinc-Carbon and all of the material are in a dry state.

Well there are a couple of advantages that dry cell has over wet cells;

no spillage in case of broken cover/in case of an accident so its much safer,

can be mounted both vertically and horizontally (might come in handy if space is a problem),

has a longer shelf life,

has a longer life span compared to wet cells.

I know i mentioned a lot more than what you asked for, just wanted to get it out there so that others may also learn something :)

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

Not exactly machan

Yes a dry cell battery is a maintenance free battery but what we commonly refer to as "maintenance free batteries" are actually Lead acid batteries that are in a sealed enclosure. Though both a normal car battery and a maintenance free batteries are similar in terms of material used (lead-acid) what happens inside is a little different.

To make it sound simple to those who dont know much about chemistry a normal battery goes through a process called electrolysis during.............

Some say he was whacked in the face with a lead-acid battery when he was a kid!!! :D

Not exactly machan

To make it sound simple to those who dont know much about chemistry a normal battery goes through a process called electrolysis during a charge-discharge cycle, what happens is the water in the battery separate into hydrogen and oxygen [ 2 H2O(l) → 2 H2(g) + O2(g) ] and they escapes the battery as gas thus creating the need to add water to compensate for the loss of water during the above mentioned process. A sealed lead-acid battery (maintenance free battery) uses calcium alloys that reduces electrolysis, which means that there is no need to add water from time to time cause the battery wont run out of water in the first place.

The Lead acid batteries have wet or liquid state material (mostly in the form of a gel) in them while a dry cell battery does not contain any form of liquid acid or any other fluid. Commonly dry cell is made out of Zinc-Carbon and all of the material are in a dry state.

can be mounted both vertically and horizontally (might come in handy if space is a problem),

has a longer shelf life,

I know i mentioned a lot more than what you asked for, just wanted to get it out there so that others may also learn something :)

thanx machan :) so there are dry cell batteries for vehicles right? coz my bike had a dry cell battery when i bought it ( thats what they said)

Not exactly machan

has a longer shelf life,

'The Stig',

I don't dispute your explanation on the dry cell battery and the wet cell battery. It is a elaborate explanation on the two types of batteries.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Some say he was whacked in the face with a lead-acid battery when he was a kid!!! :D

:P

thanx machan :) so there are dry cell batteries for vehicles right? coz my bike had a dry cell battery when i bought it ( thats what they said)

Youp :)

But not very commonly used in SL i guess

I wanted to buy a fully sealed maintenance free battery for my car but couldn't find one,so I bought a maintenance free battery(not sealed) with removable caps as in a regular battery.

Isn't it wrong to call such a battery "maintenance free"?