• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pamper Your Tires With N And Pump Xtra Premium

ash

I’ve noticed a fuel station in Colombo has introduced the Nitrogen filling for car tires.

As far as I know it’s being a practice in the aero and race tires. But is it worth for a road car??? (no… no… I even don’t consider filling my tires with N. I check my tyre pressure with every tankful wherever possible.)

As they claim filling with N will yield in better fuel economy and longer tyre life.

As I understand both the fuel economy and longevity of the tires are related to the tire's rolling resistance.

This may be good for drivers who never check their tyre pressure in their rides until someone shows their tires are under inflated.

And also I have noticed a separate type of fuel named “Xtra premium – with friction busters” sold at fuel stations. It’s supposed to contain a level of 92 Octane. Are these so called friction busters good for the engine?

Give your thoughts on this....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Maybe they heard someone was bringing down a GTR and wanted to be in advance as far as the tire filling situation goes.

And this xtra premium thing is an IOC concept. Which is stupid coz the normal 95 is better than the "xtra" premium. Just BS Marketing, IMO.

:) Maybe they heard someone was bringing down a GTR and wanted to be in advance as far as the tire filling situation goes.

And this xtra premium thing is an IOC concept. Which is stupid coz the normal 95 is better than the "xtra" premium. Just BS Marketing, IMO.

a bit OT, but did hear somone is gonna bring a GTR lol

which shed is this machan?? :huh:

U wanna try??? You got the nearest specimen to try it out… :action-smiley-060:

Heard the air thing is at the IOC shed neat St.Bridgets

That's the one. The attendant said Rs.200/- (should be per tyre, can't be for all 4 wheels)

Is that the surprise Andrew was talking about?

Am I missing something here???? :unsure:

200 bucks a tire!!! Damn- I'll stick to weekly free checkups :) maybe someone can try it out and let us know if it makes a difference :P Extra-premium is a decent substitute to save costs for low performance vehicles that still need high octane fuel to run on like.. like SUV's maybe

200 bucks a tire!!! Damn- I'll stick to weekly free checkups :) maybe someone can try it out and let us know if it makes a difference :P Extra-premium is a decent substitute to save costs for low performance vehicles that still need high octane fuel to run on like.. like SUV's maybe

I think it’s Rs. 200/- per tire (in other countries somewhere around $10/- per tire) so can’t be 200/- for all four. Someone plz chk and confirm if go that way to pump fuel.

When no option I sometimes pump 90 Oct when go on long trips. Straightaway I feel the difference. What I do is pump only the bare minimum it needs to reach Colombo and once reached pump a full tank with 95Oct. I’m scared to use any fuel with additives & don’t want to experience the pros and cons of the product with my car.

For argument sake we say like this…

Oxygen is more likely to seep through tires than Nitrogen. Right??? Lets say you loose 10% of the air pressure from tires (that contains more Oxygen… remember). Next time you pump that 10% you lost back to the tire, actually you’re pumping 78% of N again and less O. So every time you practice this you’ll end up with denser N content in your tires.

May be I’m wrong. Just my thought… :unsure:

For argument sake we say like this…

Oxygen is more likely to seep through tires than Nitrogen. Right??? Lets say you loose 10% of the air pressure from tires (that contains more Oxygen… remember). Next time you pump that 10% you lost back to the tire, actually you’re pumping 78% of N again and less O. So every time you practice this you’ll end up with denser N content in your tires.

May be I’m wrong. Just my thought… :unsure:

http://seatbealt.blogspot.com/2007/11/newe...gen-filled.html

Is that the surprise Andrew was talking about?

nope, someone who is using one abroad right now, said gonna bring, but I wonder, he really means to and would it be worth it :unsure:

a white one? :unsure:

yep, it is :D

Edited by shanX

i don't see the point of pumping nitrogen to our tyres in sl cos we never drive that fast and that hard for long periods of time.

Maybe they are proactively preparing for the stream of cars that'll come on all the highways that'll be built around the country in the next few months.... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are proactively preparing for the stream of cars that'll come on all the highways that'll be built around the country in the next few months.... :rolleyes:

if that happens and if people can claim real benefits on normal cars rather than some placebo effect i'll do it for you guys for much less than 200 :D

U wanna try??? You got the nearest specimen to try it out… :action-smiley-060:

:lol: well i think Andrews got the nearest , but i recon i'm about 1/10 of the way there! :D

That's the one. The attendant said Rs.200/- (should be per tyre, can't be for all 4 wheels)

hmmm Rs.200 & i'd have tried it out just for kicks

I think it’s Rs. 200/- per tire (in other countries somewhere around $10/- per tire) so can’t be 200/- for all four. Someone plz chk and confirm if go that way to pump fuel.

When no option I sometimes pump 90 Oct when go on long trips. Straightaway I feel the difference. What I do is pump only the bare minimum it needs to reach Colombo and once reached pump a full tank with 95Oct. I’m scared to use any fuel with additives & don’t want to experience the pros and cons of the product with my car.

I use Wirth octain booster with 95... there is a noticeable difference...

Hmmm this seems interesting. What do you guys think? I'm abit nervous for trying it out cause we just got new tyres last week. And if anything happens to them :violent-smiley-030::action-smiley-060::o lol