• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Less Pulling Power (Need A Help Guys)

Ek3 Ferio

Hi Guys,

It feels me something is not correct with my ek3 from a few days back. So I thought to tell you guys the whole history of the issue and share your ideas.

I noticed a small oil leak from the distributor oil seal. So the oil seal get replaced. After that I felt that the performance of the vehicle has dropped and ignition sounds (don’t know this is the correct word, heard people say in sinhala ignition gahanawa  it sounds “taka taka taka“) came up even in 1st gear when I push the accelerator.

Before the seal replacement, it was possible to go up to 70kmph on the 2nd gear. But after the replacement it didn’t.

I asked the mechanic that is it necessary to do a engine tune up after the replacement he said that it is not needed and he has fixed the distributor to previous angle.

Then I went to a EFI tuning center and told about the situation. They cleaned up fuel intake system and kept the enging started using a chemical for 20 min. Then connected the car in to a scanner and said everything is ok now.

Further they have adjusted the tappet value clearance and now the engine sounds less too.

After the clean up I felt the car moving really smoothly but I still didn’t feel the performance had before all the replacements and maintenance.

Then again I took the car to the EFI tuning center and told that the vehicle pulling power is not enough, they checked the fuel preasure and said I needed to replace the fuel pump too. At the time tuning they replaced the fuel filter and said that it was the factory fitted fuel filter and it hasn’t changed before. Further they told that it caused to decrease the pressure of the fuel pump.

After that I didn’t do anything, wish any one of you can help me. These days Maruti cars are also overtaking me .

Thanks a trillion.

Sounds like you're engine timing needs to be adjusted after doing the few things you mentioned. Take it to place where they have a timing torch- and get them to do the adjustment on the distributor. After that you will need to reset the car's computer or ECU. (remove the negative battery terminal and press the brake, reconnect after 10 mins) Also you should get the spark plugs and wires checked.- replace with the OEM product if it needs changing It wont hurt to get you're injectors cleaned as well. This is just IMHO.. maybe someone has a different take on this. Is this an EK3 Vi or EXI?

that noise is called detonation.I think it is something to do with Advance-Retard adjustment.Getting the distributer adjusted will solve the problem i guess

1+...quite possibly when the o ring was replaced that guy would've retarded your ignition.

I would first try advancing the ignition timing a bit and see if that helps...

quite an easy DIY :)

Sounds like you're engine timing needs to be adjusted after doing the few things you mentioned. Take it to place where they have a timing torch- and get them to do the adjustment on the distributor. After that you will need to reset the car's computer or ECU. (remove the negative battery terminal and press the brake, reconnect after 10 mins) Also you should get the spark plugs and wires checked.- replace with the OEM product if it needs changing It wont hurt to get you're injectors cleaned as well. This is just IMHO.. maybe someone has a different take on this. Is this an EK3 Vi or EXI?

Thanks for your honest idea mate. It Ek3 Ferio 96 recon. The guy who did the tuning reset the ecu. But he did it through the scanner, didn't do as you mentioned remving battery terminal and pressing the brake. Before the tuning up there was carbon on injectors. They cleaned it and fixed. But the second time when i took the car there there was bit oily on injectors, so they told me to it is better to change valve oil seals too. But before cleaning the intake system, there was no oil in injectors.

that noise is called detonation.I think it is something to do with Advance-Retard adjustment.Getting the distributer adjusted will solve the problem i guess

1+...quite possibly when the o ring was replaced that guy would've retarded your ignition.

I would first try advancing the ignition timing a bit and see if that helps...

quite an easy DIY :)

Thanks mate. tried advancing the distributor but it didn't stop detonating :(

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

Thanks for your honest idea mate. It Ek3 Ferio 96 recon. The guy who did the tuning reset the ecu. But he did it through the scanner, didn't do as you mentioned remving battery terminal and pressing the brake. Before the tuning up there was carbon on injectors. They cleaned it and fixed. But the second time when i took the car there there was bit oily on injectors, so they told me to it is better to change valve oil seals too. But before cleaning the intake system, there was no oil in injectors.

Oil on the injectors is not a good sign- there is a slight chance that the injector cleaner effected an oil seal that had aged- since you're car is a good 15 or so years old. wont hurt to get a compression test done, - this will give you fairly decent picture of the engine's health. When you say recon- you mean Exi? Engines vary

Oil on the injectors is not a good sign- there is a slight chance that the injector cleaner effected an oil seal that had aged- since you're car is a good 15 or so years old. wont hurt to get a compression test done, - this will give you fairly decent picture of the engine's health. When you say recon- you mean Exi? Engines vary

It is the same thing I'm thinking about. The chemical used to clean the intake system might damaged. I'm worrying about doing the cleaning, before the cleaning there was no such issue. They did a compression test too and told it is quite ok.

It is not Exi, it is ferio JDM.

It is the same thing I'm thinking about. The chemical used to clean the intake system might damaged. I'm worrying about doing the cleaning, before the cleaning there was no such issue. They did a compression test too and told it is quite ok.

It is not Exi, it is ferio JDM.

Yup I know its a Ferio- is it a v-tec engine or a non v-tec engine?

Yup I know its a Ferio- is it a v-tec engine or a non v-tec engine?

It is non V-Tech engine.

Actually if you have not changed the valve oil seals- like you're mechanic said, this maybe the answer. You're gonna have to change 16 of 'em and they aint cheap :)

Hmmm any idea how much will it cost? By the way thinking to go to agents and do a complete diagnostic before doing anything further.

It is non V-Tech engine.

Hmmm any idea how much will it cost? By the way thinking to go to agents and do a complete diagnostic before doing anything further.

Not really sure- a friend of mine changed he's in a Lancer and they were a little over 1000 bucks each. (about a year back)

Not really sure- a friend of mine changed he's in a Lancer and they were a little over 1000 bucks each. (about a year back)

Hmmmm :( my bad. I shouldn't have done the tune up it costs me a lot to do it. :(

By the way does any one of you know a good garage with a Honda expert near Nugegoda area?

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

Hmmmm :( my bad. I shouldn't have done the tune up it costs me a lot to do it. :(

By the way does any one of you know a good garage with a Honda expert near Nugegoda area?

go to the agents..i used to recommend a few individual mechanics but im not recommending them anymore for anyone who is new to hondas.

No, not that much. I replaced in mine about a year back, but I don't remember how much they were.

Anyways if valve seals are gone, car should have oily smoke right?

Edited by shanX