• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid And Zero-Emissions Vehicles Photos And News

Californikan

Very true Don. And I'm not knocking or putting down diesels in anyway.

Just stating the fact that at this time diesel vehicles cannot match the fuel economy of hybrid vehicles in city, town and stop and go driving.

Cali, not to keep beating an old horse, but it's been proven you can. A Diesel with Stop go would perform as well if not better than a Hybrid. Actually a Petrol should as well. As the laws of physics state power can only be transferred and cannot be conjured up from no where. Hybrid systems deliver better economy by storing energy for later use and by switching systems off when not necessary. But batteries are not 100% efficient which is why more conventional technologies can achieve similar figures when coupled with stop start. The only time when this is not true, and that also from a cost perspective is when the vehicle is able to be charged from the mains which costs a lot less than burning your own fuel to generate power.

On a different point Peugeot have introduced Diesel Hybrids as well, though they are already common on buses.

Cali, not to keep beating an old horse, but it's been proven you can. A Diesel with Stop go would perform as well if not better than a Hybrid. Actually a Petrol should as well. As the laws of physics state power can only be transferred and cannot be conjured up from no where. Hybrid systems deliver better economy by storing energy for later use and by switching systems off when not necessary. But batteries are not 100% efficient which is why more conventional technologies can achieve similar figures when coupled with stop start. The only time when this is not true, and that also from a cost perspective is when the vehicle is able to be charged from the mains which costs a lot less than burning your own fuel to generate power.

On a different point Peugeot have introduced Diesel Hybrids as well, though they are already common on buses.

Don, you're writing in generalities. Lets get specific and look at the numbers and the data.

I haven't come across a professional fuel economy test where a conventional diesel (even with stop start technology) matched the urban fuel economy of a comparably sized hybrid. I would really like to see one, especially the actual fuel economy data.

Would you post a link to an example of a diesel beating a comparable hybrid in urban fuel economy (a test that includes the actual fuel economy data)?

Diesel fuel economy (and the hybrid car it matched or beat) test results from the European extra urban driving cycle test or the U.S. EPA city driving test or the Japanese JC08 fuel economy test would be best. These are all properly done carefully controlled scientific tests where every car is put through the exact same fuel economy test procedure and test conditions.

Edited by Californikan

Don, you're writing in generalities. Lets get specific and look at the numbers and the data.

I haven't come across a professional fuel economy test where a conventional diesel (even with stop start technology) matched the urban fuel economy of a comparably sized hybrid. I would really like to see one, especially the actual fuel economy data.

Would you post a link to an example of a diesel beating a comparable hybrid in urban fuel economy (a test that includes the actual fuel economy data)?

Diesel fuel economy (and the hybrid car it matched or beat) test results from the European extra urban driving cycle test or the U.S. EPA city driving test or the Japanese JC08 fuel economy test would be best. These are all properly done carefully controlled scientific tests where every car is put through the exact same fuel economy test procedure and test conditions.

Californikan, while the only comparable basis that currently exist is the data that is publicly available through manufacturers and by various government agencies, I do not feel it is a reasonable basis for comparison in the real world. This is because when consumer champion organisations like which have conducted surveys they have NEVER been able to achieve the quoted figures.

As such I have relied on my experience and common sense, not to mention the scientific basis for these arguments.

I've had my say, and I do not really want to have an argument over it, because I know you will simply resort to quoting data from the above mentioned fact sheets, and believe it or not I have read them too, but never been able to produce the figures quoted in real life.

The only basis I am willing to discuss this further is if you are able to arrange a real world test of two comparable vehicles, one a hybrid and one a modern diesel with stop start and various other fuel efficiency mechanisms, and do a test in a crowded city like Colombo/ London/ New York.

Till then your theories and sources are as good as mine :)

Californikan, while the only comparable basis that currently exist is the data that is publicly available through manufacturers and by various government agencies, I do not feel it is a reasonable basis for comparison in the real world. This is because when consumer champion organisations like which have conducted surveys they have NEVER been able to achieve the quoted figures.

As such I have relied on my experience and common sense, not to mention the scientific basis for these arguments.

I've had my say, and I do not really want to have an argument over it, because I know you will simply resort to quoting data from the above mentioned fact sheets, and believe it or not I have read them too, but never been able to produce the figures quoted in real life.

The only basis I am willing to discuss this further is if you are able to arrange a real world test of two comparable vehicles, one a hybrid and one a modern diesel with stop start and various other fuel efficiency mechanisms, and do a test in a crowded city like Colombo/ London/ New York.

Till then your theories and sources are as good as mine :)

Please name one or several of these fuel efficient diesel vehicles that you have been writing about.

From Tesla blog

Yesterday, The New York Times reversed its opinion on the review of our Model S and no longer believes that it was an accurate account of what happened. After investigating the facts surrounding the test drive, the Public Editor agreed that John Broder had “problems with precision and judgment," “took casual and imprecise notes” and made “few conclusions that are unassailable.”

We would like to thank Margaret Sullivan and The New York Times for looking into this matter and thoughtfully considering the public evidence, as well as additional evidence provided on background. A debt of appreciation is also owed to other media outlets, such as CNN, CNBC, and Consumer Reports, who repeated The New York Times test drive at normal highway speeds and comfortable cabin temperatures without ever running out of range.

But, most of all, we would like to thank our customers, who rallied immediately to the defense of Tesla and the electric car revolution, sending hundreds of heartfelt letters of support to The New York Times in the space of a few days! Entirely of their own volition, several customers spent the past holiday weekend recreating the Broder test drive route and showing that it can be done easily using the Tesla Supercharger network on the East Coast. You guys are awesome!

The bottom line is that the Model S combined with Supercharging works well for a long road trip, even in a cold, snowy winter. Nonetheless, we will keep increasing the number of Superchargers, improving the software in the car (via over the air updates), and the technology behind the Supercharger itself. Without people even having to think about it or Tesla having to physically touch the car, the free long distance travel enabled by our Superchargers will steadily improve with each passing month.

Elon

OqrfEQQ.jpg

http://www.ceb.lk/sub/knowledge/billcalculation.html

Nissan Leaf has a 24kWh battery that gives about 130km of range.

-- 24kWh @ Rs 3 = Rs 101 electricity cost for 130km of driving. ( Rs 0.78 / km )

-- 24kWh @ Rs 36 = Rs 1210 electricity cost for 130km of driving. ( Rs 9.30 /km)

The petrol prices just got raised again. How much to run a Corolla or a Prius per km compared to the Nissan Leaf above?

Petrol cost of Corolla: Rs 162/L ÷ 14km/L = Rs 11.57 / km

Petrol cost of Prius: Rs 162/L ÷ 21/km/L = Rs 7.71 /km

FYI: Although the European and Japanese fuel economy tests return results that are very optimistic compared to real world fuel economy, the American EPA test is considered to return results that are accurate and representative of real world fuel economy.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/Diesel2012.shtml

(Unfortunately the ultra fuel efficient diesels such as VW BlueMotions aren't sold in the U.S. and haven't been put through the EPA test.)

Californikan, can I merge this thread with the one you have created for photographs, as there is no need to keep creating more and more threads to post photographs and news which is easily accessible by anyone with an interest in the subject?

Californikan, can I merge this thread with the one you have created for photographs, as there is no need to keep creating more and more threads to post photographs and news which is easily accessible by anyone with an interest in the subject?

It's up to you Don.

I created this thread because the supercars are very different from the mass of 'regular' 'normal' hybrids on the other thread. I think the supercars deserve their own thread thread. I don't plan to start any more hybrid related threads, but it's up to you.

It's up to you Don.

I created this thread because the supercars are very different from the mass of 'regular' 'normal' hybrids on the other thread. I think the supercars deserve their own thread thread. I don't plan to start any more hybrid related threads, but it's up to you.

Thanks for your understanding Californikan. While the exact subject is a little different, the content is the same, news articles and materials relating to new models of hybrids being put out there by various manufacturers (these just happens to be of the sporty variety). If this was original material it would have been slightly different, but since its not I think its actually helpful to have all the material in one thread so interested parties can browse and find the information they need.

There have been AWD SUVs that can get 10-11 for years on years. They were called diesels.

Interesting. I didn't know a diesel six cylinder luxury SUV exists that could match hybrid fuel economy, especially in stop and go city driving.

Would you provide a link please?

Somebody give the moron a prize, he's figured out that I can't be bothered answering his stupid and utterly irrelevant questions!

The precise reason you asked this is because you are a bloody moron. Wasn't even replying to you, despite your panties in a twist behaviour. Why don't you go off an pollute some "international" forum?

Not only does this fellow post false information about diesel SUVs.

When his false information is exposed he goes into his usual name calling which drags the entire AutoLanka forum below standards of other forums.

Jrh07NQ.jpg

Interesting...

Peri said: There have been AWD SUVs that can get 10-11 for years on years. They were called diesels.

and then Cali says: Interesting. I didn't know a diesel six cylinder luxury SUV exists that could match hybrid fuel economy, especially in stop and go city driving.

Now look whos talking out of context here... only thing Peri said was 10-11 fuel economy and AWD... and cali *imagines* the words six cylinder, luxury, hybrid fuel economy AND stop-go driving in that sentence...

Cali, who is so fond of accusing everyone else for talking out of context is doing exactly the same thing here...

international-standard stupidity, I believe!

• Like 1