• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Volkswagen Beetle

RAHU

Hi friends....

I need a little advice :unsure:

I'm planing to buy a Volkswagen Beetle. (new model). YOM is 2001 as I remember. 58,000km s done....vehicle is in a good condition as I can see from the out side......this is not made in German but in Japan.....

I want to know the availability of parts in SL market.......And people say that there is no second hand market for this vehicle.....Except the fact that there is no second hand market, as I know it is a good vehicle......Are their places available to get the services done later......

Please I need info on these as I have never used a English brand before.....

Thanking you in advance...... :D

The Beetle is built on the VW Golf platform. Running gear and engines are the same (some of it is also shared with the Bora) so that should not be too difficult to manage. Body parts interior trim you will have to import in to order but should be available in Singapore.

Any mechanic dealing with new VWs should be able to help you maintain your car and if you search this forum for advice for VW Bora you should be able to find some links.

Hi friends....

I'm planing to buy a Volkswagen Beetle. (new model). YOM is 2001 as I remember. 58,000km s done....vehicle is in a good condition as I can see from the out side......this is not made in German but in Japan.....

I want to know the availability of parts in SL market.......And people say that there is no second hand market for this vehicle.....Except the fact that there is no second hand market, as I know it is a good vehicle......Are their places available to get the services done later......

Honestly, you dont seem to know anything at all about Volkswagens and it appears to me that you've just decided to get a New Beetle because its cheap and you like the look of it. BAD idea... Like all Euro cars they do have various quirks and issues and one needs to learn how to deal with them. Personally from what youve posted I doubt you will enjoy the experience much overall.

So maybe you'd be better off buying a jap car.

Hi friends....

Sounds like you've done virtually no research on the model or the brand.

Do some of your own research on the web. Google "Volkswagen Beetle reliability" "Volkswagen Beetle road test" "Volkswagen Beetle review" "Volkswagen Beetle comparison" and see what you find.

In a nutshell...VW's drive better than Jap cars but are nowhere nearly as reliable.

In a nutshell...VW's drive better than Jap cars but are nowhere nearly as reliable.

ong kiwwa thawa gon kathaawak... :action-smiley-060:

Nothing is reliable... it all depends on so many conditions... just because it is NOT Japanese doesn't necessarily mean that they are not reliable...

Where do you people come up with these statements?

I do not know where people get the idea that European cars, especially German ones are not reliable. I mean it kind of also depends on how you measure reliability.

to make it short, I've driven one of my friends Jap car the same way I drive my Peugeot daily, and only for 15 mins (that is to reach from Hettiyawatta to Rajagiriya in 4.30 traffic). The car started giving all sort of rattles, vibrations and once came to a halt it was smelling like deep fried rubber in palm oil :D (clutch the brakes the tires and what not). It gave me a feeling that I won't be able to drive a jap for at least one week before it's falling on the road for the kind of abuse the peugeot getting on daily basis.

I do not know where people get the idea that European cars, especially German ones are not reliable. I mean it kind of also depends on how you measure reliability.

Ignorance mostly, as well as the so called "conventional wisdom" that has been created by the Toyota loving herds.

In the case of VWs rep in Sri Lanka, it was mainly due to the incompetency of CarM*art. The cars themselves do need a bit more care and attention that your average japanese appliance, but they cant exactly be called "unreliable" IMO.

Ignorance mostly, as well as the so called "conventional wisdom" that has been created by the Toyota loving herds.

In the case of VWs rep in Sri Lanka, it was mainly due to the incompetency of CarM*art. The cars themselves do need a bit more care and attention that your average japanese appliance, but they cant exactly be called "unreliable" IMO.

It's not with CarM*rt any more and among the Euro's I don't consider VW as unreliable, they're tough and solid machines.

It's falling apart due to negligent penny wise Euro owners (not all of them but those who bought an Euro just because initial investment is low and those whom are reluctant to spend on preventive and corrective maintenance) is nothing to do with the reliability of the car or particular brand per say.

Before I say anything, let me add a bit of credibility to what im going to say, not so long ago I specialized in quality management in automotive engineering for my MEng and have worked for a major US diesel engine manufacturer who ripped apart their Japanese and European competitors' products for quality testing....Californikan, you statement portrays that u know F all about reliability, like some other members here at autolanka actually....there's so many factors involved in 'reliability' that you probably can't get around ur little brain to figure out what its all about....let me simplify a very little of it for you - no charge....

Your typical car has atleast 10,000 moving parts - of that atleast 1000 critical to operation. So if your car is 99% perfect, there's still 10 parts left that can go wrong and lets you call ur car 'unreliable'. In most cases, the manufacturer is not to blame, believe it or not......the causes that lead you to believe that the manufacturer is to blame are so myriad you will never get around to listing them.....major dependencies will be on the owner's or previous owners driving style, where ur car was made, maintenance behavior, ur mechanics capabilities, the equipment he used, where the car was/is operational, on what kinds of roads, what type of climate, was it looked after properly etc etc you can go on for ever.......

when ur talking about established brands nowadays [Euro or japanes or american], comparing build quality is like comparing apples and oranges....the processes are standardized and so much of it is automated. The so called quality approaches the Japanese were once famous for are now widely copied and are improved upon by Europeans and Americans [read about Dr Deming and Six Sigma if ur interested] long time ago, and the level in not largely uneven. The days of Detroit workers leaving sandwiches in cars and Rover/ British Leyland strikes are long gone...its all about sterile shop floors with lines and lines of robots.....I'm not saying every car made after the 70's and 80's are as reliable as they can be, its just that the tolerance margins are so tight, causes of failure after it rolls after the factory floor can be largely attributed to a million causes and corresponding chain reactions.....

so stuff this argument....get out of this very sri lankan way of conditioning urself to a single wave of thought...ur great grand fathers also thought that British made vehicles were the dogs bollocks and japanese cars were the donkeys, and look what happened. this is the 21st century....act like ur in it.....

Edited by tharindra

Before I say anything, let me add a bit of credibility to what im going to say, not so long ago I specialized in quality management in automotive engineering for my MEng and have worked for a major US diesel engine manufacturer who ripped apart their Japanese and European competitors' products for quality testing....Californikan, you statement portrays that u know F all about reliability, like some other members here at autolanka actually....there's so many factors involved in 'reliability' that you probably can't get around ur little brain to figure out what its all about....let me simplify a very little of it for you - no charge....

Your typical car has atleast 10,000 moving parts - of that atleast 1000 critical to operation. So if your car is 99% perfect, there's still 10 parts left that can go wrong and lets you call ur car 'unreliable'. In most cases, the manufacturer is not to blame, believe it or not......the causes that lead you to believe that the manufacturer is to blame are so myriad you will never get around to listing them.....major dependencies will be on the owner's or previous owners driving style, where ur car was made, maintenance behavior, ur mechanics capabilities, the equipment he used, where the car was/is operational, on what kinds of roads, what type of climate, was it looked after properly etc etc you can go on for ever.......

when ur talking about established brands nowadays [Euro or japanes or american], comparing build quality is like comparing apples and oranges....the processes are standardized and so much of it is automated. The so called quality approaches the Japanese were once famous for are now widely copied and are improved upon by Europeans and Americans [read about Dr Deming and Six Sigma if ur interested] long time ago, and the level in not largely uneven. The days of Detroit workers leaving sandwiches in cars and Rover/ British Leyland strikes are long gone...its all about sterile shop floors with lines and lines of robots.....I'm not saying every car made after the 70's and 80's are as reliable as they can be, its just that the tolerance margins are so tight, causes of failure after it rolls after the factory floor can be largely attributed to a million causes and corresponding chain reactions.....

so stuff this argument....get out of this very sri lankan way of conditioning urself to a single wave of thought...ur great grand fathers also thought that British made vehicles were the dogs bollocks and japanese cars were the donkeys, and look what happened. this is the 21st century....act like ur in it.....

And.... breathe.... :D

ong kiwwa thawa gon kathaawak... :action-smiley-060:

Nothing is reliable... it all depends on so many conditions... just because it is NOT Japanese doesn't necessarily mean that they are not reliable...

Where do you people come up with these statements?

Ya "nutshell" defines ur scope of knowledge on euro cars. :angry-smiley-048:

Jeez Guys! When it comes to things such as this we must look beyond our extremely limited personal experiences in Sri Lanka and look to the world also for our information and knowledge. I stand by my statements - they are based on solid research on millions of vehicles.

Have you explored the literature on the massive (involving tens of millions of vehicles - as opposed to the tiny sample cars in Sri Lanka) and extensive vehicle dependability and reliability studies done every year by huge and respected market research firms such as JD Powers and Consumer Reports? Both these companies have been doing detailed and extensive vehicle reliability surveys and studies and research on millions of car owners every year for over 25 years. Every year they compile and release reports on dependability on every make and model of new cars and old cars; from one year old cars to ten year old cars; their long term and short term reliability etc. These reports are so respected and influential in the marketplace that automakers literally tremble before they are released.

This research on millions of vehicles and owner experiences of those vehicles have clearly shown, year after year, that overall, Jap cars, especially Toyota and Honda, are more reliable and dependable than most European cars. Volkswagen has rated terrible reliability year after year, even though they drive beautifully.

Lets expand our horizons and look at high quality and huge research done around the wold for our knowledge, and not just our limited personal experiences.

JD Powers website http://www.jdpower.com/autos

Consumer Reports website: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm

JD Powers 2010 cars dependability survey (summary): http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand/

Consumer Reports 2010 vehicles dependability summary: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/10/consumer-reports-2010-annual-car-reliability-survey-gm-makes-big-strides-while-honda-toyota-dominate-pr.html

Edited by Californikan

Well the only complaints I have over Euros (and I can't comment on American since I've not used or lived with an American car) is that compared to Japanese cars they require a little bit knowledge to maintain. Typical European over engineering in certain cases but mostly because the designers haven't paid as much attention as the Japanese towards ease of maintenance. Because of the Japanese philosophy making every single process (including assembly and disassembly) efficient their vehicles are a lot better in that element, so you don't require as much product related knowledge and can figure what to do, and work using a basic tool set (which ideally suites Sri Lanka).

For example, a friend of mine who is a train mechanic told me that without a hoist he found it nearly impossible to change the clutch on his Ford Mondeo (he actually scrapped the car as it was quite old and the effort wasn't worth it).

I read in this forum that you need to take a lot of the dashboard of a E46 BMW to replace the evaporator.

In Opel/Vauxhall Astra MK4 the fusebox requires a screwdriver to open to change a fuse as it's behind a plastic panel (I needed a manual to figure that out!).

Also Japanese Engineers have often got the basics right, while the Europeans tend to be more innovative. For example in most Japanese cars the timing belt is protected with a plastic cover all round. In a friend of mine's Renault Megane something got caught in a pulley causing the timing belt to slip causing valve damage. Something quite simple that the designers missed out on.

So there are subtle differences in the approach. But when it comes to reliability there isn't a lot of difference. Just that Euros require you to have the right tools, the correct knowledge to be able to keep them working, the same as the Japs except because there are so many Japanese vehicles, that knowledge is more widely distributed.

I'm too lazy to check, but do these watchdogs check on the models made for markets like ours? The cheaper Soluna, Vios, and the like? I think they need to engineer a bit more for western countries to get approval from the EPA and NHTSA, and Euro NCAP.

I agree with don. And abt the e46 requiring the entire dash to be taken out to replace the evaporator might be true, but instances of such repairs happening are quite rare. If you use Continental vehicles in a propoer way without hacking, they are far superior to "equivalent" jap models. For example, my family has a 1999 model BWM e46 with over 160,000 Miles (260,000 km), with the only major repairs being the replacement of lower arms, small repair of the alternator. I guess i can't say the same to a carina CT210 that needed an engine overhaul and 120,000 km.

Ya... I guess then people use all Japanese cars in Europe eh? :lol: cos their own is not reliable?? :lol:

Your statement seems to be based on an incorrect assumption - that reliability is the #1 most important motivation or reason for a person choosing what car to buy.

Different people have different requirements and needs for their cars and thus have different motivations for choosing one car over another. A person who wants reliability and dependability above all else in their car may be drawn to Toyota. Another person who values passion and fun in a car may be drawn to an Alfa Romeo - even if the Alfa is not as reliable as a Toyota.

Twenty years ago Italian cars were extremely unreliable (compared to Japanese cars), yet certain people still bought them and were willing to put up with the headaches partly because Italian cars had flair and passion, and this was more important to the buyers of those cars than reliability.

In the U.S., Japanese cars dominate the sales chart partly because reliability tends to be very important to American car buyers. On the other hand, reliability is not as important to European car buyers who tend to value performance and character more, and this is one reason (out of many) why Japanese cars are not top sellers in Europe.

Edited by Californikan

One example of the results of a scientifically done reliability/dependability study of 450,000 cars in the U.K. and the U.S. It was done by Warranty Direct, a warranty underwriting firm. This study was done in 2007 so its a little dated.

The percent is the percent of vehicles with problems (per 100 vehicles).

1. Mazda - 8.04%

2. Honda - 8.90%

3. Toyota - 15.78%

4. Mitsubishi - 17.04%

5. Kia - 17.39%

6. Subaru - 18.46%

7. Nissan - 18.86%

8. Lexus - 20.05%

9. Mini - 21.90%

10. Citroen - 25.98%

11. Daewoo - 26.30%

12. Hyundai - 26.36%

13. Peugeot - 26.59%

14. Ford - 26.76%

15. Suzuki - 27.20%

16. Porsche - 27.48%

17. Fiat - 28.49%

18. BMW - 28.64%

19. Vauxhall - 28.77%

20. Mercedes-Benz - 29.90%

21. Rover - 30.12%

22. Volvo - 31.28%

23. Volkswagen - 31.44%

24. Jaguar - 32.05%

25. Skoda - 32.12%

26. Chrysler - 34.90%

27. Audi - 36.74%

28. Seat - 36.87%

29. Renault - 36.87%

30. Alfa Romeo - 39.13%

31. Saab - 41.59%

32. Land Rover - 44.21%

33. Jeep - 46.36%

source: http://www.auto-broker-magic.com/used-car-ratings.html

This is one of many such studies. The big ones involve millions of cars. Although the ranking of individual brands often differs depending on the research study, what tends to not differ is the pattern of Asian automakers consistently ranking better for reliability and dependability than European automakers. Volkswagen has scored poorly (compared to the top brands) in pretty much every single reliability/dependability survey done over the last several years. I'm not dissing VW (I really like their cars), just reporting the findings.

Also note that the most unreliable automakers have over 5 times as many cars with problems (per 100 vehicles) as the most reliable automakers.

Edited by Californikan

• 2 months later...

Buying a VW Beetle

What Should I know about it.

I went shoping for a new car for my mom,

What she wanted was a vitz yet as my name suggests I told her to go for a demiio or fit,

Luckyly the car sale we went to had a VW beetle and I managed to convince her to go for one.

So we went bug hunting,

Inspected some cars on the market yet 2 of them had very lose body panels (like the build quality seemed a little poor)