• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Frequent Tearing Of Alternator Belt Pajero Io 1998

TURBOMAN

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advise regarding Pajero Io 1998

My alternator belt got broken two times within 6 months time,and in the mean time there is a very small oil leakage from some where.

I also noticed on and off blinking of "LOCK" indicator of super select.

Is it something wrong with the Crank? or the bearings? or the oil seals?

What should i do?

The belt break could have resulted from a number of things

1. Low quality belt

2. A worn out bearing on one of the items being driven on the belt

3. Belt adjusted too tight

I recon the most likely cause is #2 so take the belt off and inspect every component being driven by the belt and check if there is no interference, abnormal noises and everything moves as fluently as it should !

The belt break could have resulted from a number of things

1. Low quality belt

2. A worn out bearing on one of the items being driven on the belt

3. Belt adjusted too tight

I recon the most likely cause is #2 so take the belt off and inspect every component being driven by the belt and check if there is no interference, abnormal noises and everything moves as fluently as it should !

Thanx Don,

I just inspected the bearings without the belt and they dont make noises and no wobbling either.

Thanx in advance

Hi guys,

My alternator belt got broken two times within 6 months time,and in the mean time there is a very small oil leakage from some where.

What should i do?

The Cemtre Diff Lock light is common in Pajero's with Super Select. There are 5 switches(Actuators) which engage the 4WD modes 4H,4HLC &4LLC. If these switches are faulty it could activates the light. It also could be due damaged wires leading to this switch. I have attached an article which explains the problem in more detail.

My link

Hope its helps.

If you connnect an analyser, it should tell you which swich is faulty.

Good Luck!!

Chaconnect

Hi guys,

What should i do?

'TURBOMAN',

Your belt is a V belt or Poly V belt.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Machan, about the oil leakage, it could be many things. You need to get under the car and check the point of leakage. Also Check your pcv and make sure it isn't blocked. As for the alt. belt I'm going to agree with Don that it could very well be a bearing. I had the same problem on mine.

Alsoi, about youe 4WD light blinking, didn't you mention something about a stuck shifter lever a while back? Did you get it fixed?

Dear Sylvi

What you mean by that?im really clueless.

thnx

'TURBOMAN,

V belt is only one (V) Rib. New Vehicles have a belt very thin consists of 4 or more V Ribss (VVVV). Pulleys also have number of V groves.

Please try this web page.

http://www.clshah.com/cimage10/105707multipullbelts.pdf

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Machan, about the oil leakage, it could be many things. You need to get under the car and check the point of leakage. Also Check your pcv and make sure it isn't blocked. As for the alt. belt I'm going to agree with Don that it could very well be a bearing. I had the same problem on mine.

Alsoi, about youe 4WD light blinking, didn't you mention something about a stuck shifter lever a while back? Did you get it fixed?

Machan,

Yes i got the things fixed sometimes back.Theres nothing wrong with the gear lever now(but the indicator)

the problem i should look into is the bearings as you all said.

Lets see whats gonna happn

Any place you guys know in Kandy to get the repair done?

Edited by TURBOMAN

Thanx Sylvi,

Yes ive got V belt with 4 ribs.

'TURBOMAN',

I have come across this belts snapping and slipping noise. To my observations this happens when Alternator pulley or crank pulley get their top of V grove touching on the poly V belt bottom. (Not on the V end) and there will not be a grip on the V grove if you examine the belt you can notice poly V belt is polished at the top of the V grove belt end (V top) and the pulley top (V end) too is polished. What I did was pulley top grooves file very slightly V groves were deepen on my lathe. the matter ended with that. Examine your pulleys for above wastage.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

'TURBOMAN',

I have come across this belts snapping and slipping noise. To my observations this happens when Alternator pulley or crank pulley get their top of V grove touching on the poly V belt bottom. (Not on the V end) and there will not be a grip on the V grove if you examine the belt you can notice poly V belt is polished at the top of the V grove belt end (V top) and the pulley top (V end) too is polished. What I did was pulley top grooves file very slightly V groves were deepen on my lathe. the matter ended with that. Examine your pulleys for above wastage.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Thnx Sylvi,

I better check that too.Ill give you a feed back

Turboman, is the AC compressor on the belt you mentioned ? How is your AC ? is it working well, and is the compressor the original rotary compressor that came with the car ?

I actually had this problem with my own Mitsubishi. It turned out that the previous owner changed the AC compressor to a piston type compressor from a Toyota van, changed the belt from a 5 groove to a 4 groove one to accommodate the new compressor, and obviously it was a case of more load on the belt while the belt itself was smaller !

Turboman, is the AC compressor on the belt you mentioned ? How is your AC ? is it working well, and is the compressor the original rotary compressor that came with the car ?

I actually had this problem with my own Mitsubishi. It turned out that the previous owner changed the AC compressor to a piston type compressor from a Toyota van, changed the belt from a 5 groove to a 4 groove one to accommodate the new compressor, and obviously it was a case of more load on the belt while the belt itself was smaller !

If the belt was smaller what will happn?

cos the previous owner has put a 3 grooved one .Ac works fine and its also connected to the same belt

Thanx man

Well Turboman, The size of the belt determines the load the belt can hold. My engine requires a 5 groove belt, and the AC guys had put a 4 groove one. After a while it just broke !

Also if the belt is loose it can jump groves (as there is a gap on one side) and cause damage to the belt.

Count the number of groves in all of the things run by the belt. It should all be the same and the belt should match the number of groves.

If the belt was smaller what will happn?

cos the previous owner has put a 3 grooved one .Ac works fine and its also connected to the same belt

Thanx man

TURBOMAN',

How many groves you have on the pulleys you have to count all of them they should have same number of groves in all. Replace a correct belt as to fit in all number of groves if not you will have a problem of belt not taking the load and snap off.Some engines have double pulleys on the crank shaft one for alternator other for AC pump.

I mostly use Misuboshi belts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

TURBOMAN',

How many groves you have on the pulleys you have to count all of them they should have same number of groves in all. Replace a correct belt as to fit in all number of groves if not you will have a problem of belt not taking the load and snap off.Some engines have double pulleys on the crank shaft one for alternator other for AC pump.

I mostly use Misuboshi belts.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

4 grooves Sylvi

thnx

Well Turboman, The size of the belt determines the load the belt can hold. My engine requires a 5 groove belt, and the AC guys had put a 4 groove one. After a while it just broke !

Also if the belt is loose it can jump groves (as there is a gap on one side) and cause damage to the belt.

Count the number of groves in all of the things run by the belt. It should all be the same and the belt should match the number of groves.

Thnx Don

I too have a similar belt issue in my vitz KSP 90.There is a chiri chiri noice come from the belt.I have replaced the belt with toyota genuine one.But it re occurs after 2 months.I have tighten it several times too.This is a common problem in most of the early imported vitz(2005,2006)

I too have a similar belt issue in my vitz KSP 90.There is a chiri chiri noice come from the belt.I have replaced the belt with toyota genuine one.But it re occurs after 2 months.I have tighten it several times too.This is a common problem in most of the early imported vitz(2005,2006)

Kulunu',

Do you have separate belt to drive A/C or single belt only to drive engine power for other accessories.

When this Chiri Chiri belt slip noise started I first used belt dressing a spray recommended for belt slip it is available with only few dealers and the cost was Rupees 1400.00 for a 500ML can that solved the noise problem for another 200 kilometers till I finished the spray can I used that later started changing more than 4 new belts of low and high quality but after 2500 to 3000 kilometers of running it reappeared.

Please read my post to this thread on 17th February number 668. That will explain you how I got out of the similar chiri chri noise and what was the remedy I did. As I have facilities and I found that pulley wastage was the problem.

I would suggest you to get your problem examined by a good Mechanic.

I hope you will have your old belts for careful examination of the V grove top wastage what I have mentioned in my post. Your self can notice the wastage on the top of pulley groves are shining this will be mostly on the crank pulley alternator pulley also can have same on load carrying Pulleys. If you can put few drops of water on to the pulleys one by one then if the noise stops you can note which pulley is the noise maker.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Kulunu',

Do you have separate belt to drive A/C or single belt only to drive engine power for other accessories.

When this Chiri Chiri belt slip noise started I first used belt dressing a spray recommended for belt slip it is available with only few dealers and the cost was Rupees 1400.00 for a 500ML can that solved the noise problem for another 200 kilometers till I finished the spray can I used that later started changing more than 4 new belts of low and high quality but after 2500 to 3000 kilometers of running it reappeared.

Please read my post to this thread on 17th February number 668. That will explain you how I got out of the similar chiri chri noise and what was the remedy I did. As I have facilities and I found that pulley wastage was the problem.

I would suggest you to get your problem examined by a good Mechanic.

I hope you will have your old belts for careful examination of the V grove top wastage what I have mentioned in my post. Your self can notice the wastage on the top of pulley groves are shining this will be mostly on the crank pulley alternator pulley also can have same on load carrying Pulleys. If you can put few drops of water on to the pulleys one by one then if the noise stops you can note which pulley is the noise maker.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Do all the new vehicles come with Grooved pulleys?