• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hyundai Accent / Kia

NRX

Would you recommend a used Hyundai Accent / Kia Rio made in early 2000s ?

I'm eying for a car for about 1m and wanted to know if there is anything against buying these Korean vehicles. How is the maintenance hassle and cost, Fuel efficiency ?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by NRX

I'm eying for a car for about 1m and wanted to know if there is anything against buying these Korean vehicles. How is the maintenance hassle and cost, Fuel efficiency ?

KIA rio isnt a bad car, pretty economical too.

The accent might be more economical than the rio but is not comfortable at all

• Like 1

Hi, I am not a car expert but I have a couple of friends who own Accent and Rio both and I have driven the two cars.

There are two flavours of Hyundai Accent - Indian and Korean. Both look pretty much identical but the Indian version has HMIL printed on the VIN plate (Hyundai Motors India Limited). If you have prejudices against Indian vehicles, do take a look at that. Personally I would prefer an Indian made Accent (if I am to buy one), because they were imported brand new by the agent. Do check if the first owner is policepathi :) - many Indian Accents are cars auctioned off by the Police. Why I personally prefer the Indian Accent is because some of the second hand imports have run as taxis overseas and they are in pretty bad condition even at the time of import.

As for problems - they have electrical issues (random lights blinking), generally uncomfortable. Maintenance will definitely depend on the condition of the car but you have the advantage of cheap Indian parts.

My friend had two KIA Rios (one after the other of course). A 2004 Rio he had was simply excellent. I thought it was as comfortable as any Jap car which I have used. He owned it for a year and spent about 20K for repairs (excluding service and fuel). Then he sold it and got a cheaper 2001 Rio, which was a lemon. After a few months, it started running like a bullock cart. Both were Singapore imports. Parts for Rio are available without issues and there are plenty of garages who can repair these.

One more thing you might look at, is the trunk space. 2001 Rio has an awkwardly shaped behind, which makes it tricky to put things in and take things out, if they are big ;)

In my humble opinion: appearance - Accent, comfort - Rio, total cost of ownership - Rio, fuel - Accent

Hope this helps.

Hi, I am not a car expert but I have a couple of friends who own Accent and Rio both and I have driven the two cars.

There are two flavours of Hyundai Accent - Indian and Korean. Both look pretty much identical but the Indian version has HMIL printed on the VIN plate (Hyundai Motors India Limited). If you have prejudices against Indian vehicles, do take a look at that. Personally I would prefer an Indian made Accent (if I am to buy one), because they were imported brand new by the agent. Do check if the first owner is policepathi :) - many Indian Accents are cars auctioned off by the Police. Why I personally prefer the Indian Accent is because some of the second hand imports have run as taxis overseas and they are in pretty bad condition even at the time of import.

As for problems - they have electrical issues (random lights blinking), generally uncomfortable. Maintenance will definitely depend on the condition of the car but you have the advantage of cheap Indian parts.

My friend had two KIA Rios (one after the other of course). A 2004 Rio he had was simply excellent. I thought it was as comfortable as any Jap car which I have used. He owned it for a year and spent about 20K for repairs (excluding service and fuel). Then he sold it and got a cheaper 2001 Rio, which was a lemon. After a few months, it started running like a bullock cart. Both were Singapore imports. Parts for Rio are available without issues and there are plenty of garages who can repair these.

One more thing you might look at, is the trunk space. 2001 Rio has an awkwardly shaped behind, which makes it tricky to put things in and take things out, if they are big ;)

In my humble opinion: appearance - Accent, comfort - Rio, total cost of ownership - Rio, fuel - Accent

Hope this helps.

That was very informative dude, Thanks a lot :) , btw do you think there would be any difference between a taxi and a police people used car :lol:

hi sure both cars are too good fuel consumption is around 12-13 km per l depend on the traffic u drive but auto its go down to 10 but compare spare parts u can buy genuine very cheaply like oil filter and air filter even cv joints or any parts very cheap and if u do proper maintenance work ok