• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are Loud Exhaust Banned In Sri Lanka?

poscher

Guy just need your advise on whether the Sri Lankan govt has banned all loud exhaust? This is because I recently got stopped by cops for having a beat silencer, but mine is not even as loud as a tuk tuk... I asked them whats the legal limit in dB (decibel) and they had know clue cos most other countries are fine with 96 dB... Sri Lanka police thinks that any modified exhaust is banned when viking buses and tuk tuks are much louder.. just want to know comments on this

...............when viking buses and tuk tuks are much louder..................

Maybe Ashok Leyland Viking buses are exemptedbiggrin.gif

(It is said that the loud exhaust note is the Unique Selling Proposition of Ashok Leyland Viking buses.

And the Govt. of Sri Lanka has a 42% stake in Lanka Ashok Leyland.)

Edited by samishka

Guy just need your advise on whether the Sri Lankan govt has banned all loud exhaust? This is because I recently got stopped by cops for having a beat silencer, but mine is not even as loud as a tuk tuk... I asked them whats the legal limit in dB (decibel) and they had know clue cos most other countries are fine with 96 dB... Sri Lanka police thinks that any modified exhaust is banned when viking buses and tuk tuks are much louder.. just want to know comments on this

Interesting. Dint you start a similar thread sometime back? Did they stop you again? Anyway what's your car and is it a straight thru exhaust system?

Interesting. Dint you start a similar thread sometime back? Did they stop you again? Anyway what's your car and is it a straight thru exhaust system?

well I haven't, tried searching the site, couldn't find anything on legal dB...

dude, just get a shop to make you a straight through barrel with the shell of a normal silencer, and make it look all stock .. lol

:D I'd do it for kicks just to annoy heck out of the cops...better yet, keep the exhaust stock and fit one of those butterfly values and a cut out. They'd be scratching their heads over that one for weeks!!

Try searching using modifications illegal

well machan, my car came with the current exhaust from Japan and I don't think its illegal there or any other country for that matter, however once the police caught me and gave a hard time, but managed to get a way with it.

However I don't like my current exhaust and the genuine ones are extremely hard to find and every expensive cos of that I'm looking at a Blitz Nur Spec R, and that is surely much loader than at and 96 dB. They are completely legal in both Japan and UK. But the local police don't really understand these values, but just want to know if there is a place where I can get a legal certificate that prove that the exhaust are legal in Sri Lanka so that the police can't bug me?

Maybe Ashok Leyland Viking buses are exemptedbiggrin.gif

(It is said that the loud exhaust note is the Unique Selling Proposition of Ashok Leyland Viking buses.

And the Govt. of Sri Lanka has a 42% stake in Lanka Ashok Leyland.)

hehehehe and they increase that noise by honking when coming near every bus stop for no apparent reason

well machan, my car came with the current exhaust from Japan and I don't think its illegal there or any other country for that matter, however once the police caught me and gave a hard time, but managed to get a way with it.

However I don't like my current exhaust and the genuine ones are extremely hard to find and every expensive cos of that I'm looking at a Blitz Nur Spec R, and that is surely much loader than at and 96 dB. They are completely legal in both Japan and UK. But the local police don't really understand these values, but just want to know if there is a place where I can get a legal certificate that prove that the exhaust are legal in Sri Lanka so that the police can't bug me?

If you had searched with what I told you, read a bit, you would have found out your not as special as you think coz others have faced the EXACT situation before, discussed it, and come to a conclusion. A legal conclusion.

I am sure coz I am one of the people, and I don't feel like discussing it again if you can't be bothered looking up what I wrote before.

Don't think my car is farting bro, in my point of view forums are for ppl to get help and help other members and not to mock them.

Yes forums are there for people to help each other but like peri said i dont think someone who doesnt know how to do a search first before starting a new thread would fit in properly :rolleyes:

If you had searched with what I told you, read a bit, you would have found out your not as special as you think coz others have faced the EXACT situation before, discussed it, and come to a conclusion. A legal conclusion.

I am sure coz I am one of the people, and I don't feel like discussing it again if you can't be bothered looking up what I wrote before.

Searched that way and found about it was every informative, but the issue there was that it was a old thread, what happened to me was a recent one, the police said that the law was changed recently (2010). however newer read or herd about it myself.

Searched that way and found about it was every informative, but the issue there was that it was a old thread, what happened to me was a recent one, the police said that the law was changed recently (2010). however newer read or herd about it myself.

until you find the specific info,what you can do is try to go slowly,(aka without getting into higher revs=LOUDER!) when passing cops.

I have a straight through+screamer in my setup,but had been in trouble only once,try to talk them nicely instead of arguing with them about the legal noise levels.in simple the more you argue the more you get into trouble. because in my case the cop told me not to go loud in city areas as they will stop for that.

btw if you really need to info go to a police station near you and ask them in regard,they will help you(most of the time)

• 1 year later...
Are Loud Exhaust Banned In Sri Lanka? Gov Came with same rule with marks..2013..Expert Please advise...

they were since last year.

One of my friends got caught for his fart barrel. Had to go to courts if i remember right, pay a fine and show the coppers the car afterwards with a quieter pipe.

• 8 months later...

hey guys, hope u'l got the latest news about loud exhausts, seems like lots of loud exhausts gonna get banned this time.. Apparently, cars with 93db & higher get fined and if the cops want, they can even confiscate the exhaust. WTF now?? :angry-smiley-002:

hey guys, hope u'l got the latest news about loud exhausts, seems like lots of loud exhausts gonna get banned this time.. Apparently, cars with 93db & higher get fined and if the cops want, they can even confiscate the exhaust. WTF now?? :angry-smiley-002:

This sounds like one of those 'seasonal laws'... As long as you dont drive like a d!ck red-lining on low gears you should be OK.

Edited by Watchman

CEA has initiated action on horns as set out in Gazette Notification No. 1738/37 but not on exhaust noise so far AFAIK. This was on the news today. (However, I hear that you can get away with cops by conceding to certain favors like - for a horn related offences a bl*w j*b and allowing cops to temporarily confiscate YOUR exhaust in exchange for a vehicle exhaust related offence. :sport-smiley-004: )