• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cops On The Streets!

dude wat the hell r u talking? airbags are not puching bags that attack ur face! they are meant to save a human being from injury during an accident. whats the use of it if the passenger is goin to break his neck anyway? ROFL! :action-smiley-060:

Having seen your posts...

You are a unique personality... Thats all I'm sayin... :rolleyes:

I guess we cant agree on a clear cut mehod then guys. Addressing "Rlahami" has helped me in most cases, probably I have not been stopped by high-ranking officers. I too am totally blind and can't notice the stars or whats meant by them. I guess, generally speaking "starred" cops may not respond to that address very well.

Initially I used to address them as "Officer", but more often than not, they take it offensive. One time a guy asked me, "Mahattaya officer officer kiyala katha karanne api baya wei kiyala hithuwada. Api baya na oya mona lokka awath..." :lol:

Afterall, can't go and address "Sir" to those crooks right? When most respected and educated personalities prefer them being addressed by first name in the modern culture.

Instead of "Ralahami" alone..use "Ralahami Mahaththaya"...it will work..i tried it several times.. :D

Ok guys,

Lets come to a conclusion...we all drive carefully..obeying each and every traffic rule..So there won't be any chance to be copped by the traffic police..It's just simple as that... :lol:

Yes! yes! you must go less than 20km/h in correct lanes without crossing tracks.

How about the V*P vehicles?. Will they obey ? What is the purpose we only follow?.

You are suggesting a method to loss a very good income to a country!!!

Yes! yes! you must go less than 20km/h in correct lanes without crossing tracks.

How about the V*P vehicles?. Will they obey ? What is the purpose we only follow?.

You are suggesting a method to loss a very good income to a country!!!

That why they are called V*P.. since we are not that very important to the country we should follow the rules..VIPs can always break it..and even VIPs servants friend's child also can break the rules..This is Sri Lanka mate..This is the unique way of treating the people..there is no equality at all..We have to vote them and we have to give the side to those V*P vehicles..thats the reality..you don't have to go for 20 km/h..just stick with 40-50 km/h in the city limits and do 70-75 km/h outstation..believe me machan there won't be any problem... :D

Edited by AbeysinghE

On my way to Batti a few weeks ago I got pulled over in Minneriya by 2 traffic cops. Wasn't speeding, wasn't crossing any lines, nothing. I stopped, killed the engine, took my docs and opened the door, when they both came up to me and asked, 'Mahaththaya mokadda me car eka?'... :)

They sat inside, felt it, and said 'sorry' for stopping me... :)

Ah... you meet the nicest people when you drive an Alfa... ;)

the advantage of driving a uncommon car :)

Please learn how to spell before making a comment again.(WTF is a bic#ing?) any further comments by you would be ignored by me. have a good day. :rolleyes:

it doesn't matter what you say you always will be a DUMMY :lol:

so go and jump to a river or something dummy :box2:

this happned to me a lot in the astina.. ko mekey light.. then i would turn them on... and there goes the questions.. my GF used to get pissed as she would always get late while i explain to the cops how the mechnisum works..

there was this one guy.. "light udata enkota petrol yanawada.."

had a time and half with these sorta incidents....

LMAO!! thats hilarious!! :lol::sport-smiley-004:

Edited by Reckless

Instead of "Ralahami" alone..use "Ralahami Mahaththaya"...it will work..i tried it several times.. :D

How about "Saam Mahattaya" (or something that sounds like that...not sure the exact word - is that "Peace officer"?). I have heard cops refer to each other using that name, as well as three wheel guys call them that to the face.

How about "Saam Mahattaya" (or something that sounds like that...not sure the exact word - is that "Peace officer"?). I have heard cops refer to each other using that name, as well as three wheel guys call them that to the face.

Is that something you say to them when you're stoned? "Peace out officer!" :D

Its 'Sajant mahathaya' [rank is:- sergeant]

In a earlier post - someone wanted to know how to identify the different ranks :-

Police Constable [Ralahamy]:- 01 or 02 'V' shaped stripes on their right sleeve

Police Sergeant [sajant mahathaya]-- 03 of above

Sub Inspector of Police - 01[One] Star

Inspector of Police -- 02[two] stars

Chief Inspector --03 stars

Rank afterwards is ASP, SP,SSP, DIG & IGP [none of these will be seen on our roads to conduct traffic duties]

• Like 1

Hey guys i recently got copped for doing 81kmph (not much to brag about:P) in the Moratuwa stretch at 2.30am! :( I got copped for Speeding and Reckless Driving... an now straight to courts next week :( Does anyone know the fine for such offence? The cop who stopped me said 9000!!.. the other cop who was there said 1500.. an the a cop in the Moratuwa Police staion said it was 7500.. he actually didnt know himself.. (stupid sri lankan cops) im confused now.. and im yet to tell my parents! And do i need a lawyer as well?

Can anyone please help me out? I'm desperate!

Thanks

:)

Hey guys i recently got copped for doing 81kmph (not much to brag about:P) in the Moratuwa stretch at 2.30am! :( I got copped for Speeding and Reckless Driving... an now straight to courts next week :( Does anyone know the fine for such offence? The cop who stopped me said 9000!!.. the other cop who was there said 1500.. an the a cop in the Moratuwa Police staion said it was 7500.. he actually didnt know himself.. (stupid sri lankan cops) im confused now.. and im yet to tell my parents! And do i need a lawyer as well?

Thanks

It's unfortunate that you couldn't escape from them by giving a reload or tea money.. :lol: ..If you have been copped for reckless driving and directed to the courts, just go to the courts on the day and accept the offence..the judge will decide according to the facts provided by the police...don't worry mate..it's just a simple process and it won't be more than 7000 i suppose..you need a lawyer if you are planning to justify something that they copped you unreasonably...

Thanks

Hi Rayman,

Firstly - its recommended to retain a Lawyer. The reason - as to why you should retain a lawyer might sound silly in a public forum :) -- however if you are curious enough to know -pls PM.

Re the rest of the question - You could be charged under 2 offences. I've enumerated the charges and fines respectively. The bold letters applies to you --the rest is for the info of others.

Charge 01--'Recklessly or in a dangerous manner or at a dangerous speed' -->

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty fifty thousand rupees,

[ and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence, and on a third or subsequent conviction, to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the cancellation of his driving licence or to rigorous imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months to both such fine and imprisonment.]

Charge 02 -Negligently or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway

a fine not less than one thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees,

and on a second conviction to a fine not less than two thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and on a third or subsequent conviction to a fine not less than three thousand five hundred rupees and not exceeding twenty five thousand rupees and the suspension of his driving licence for a period of six months.

do u think by lieing i get gifts in this forum... belive me there are more rediculus things asked from me by various people who seemed to a little bit more interlectual than the cops while i owned that car..

why the cop asked me that was i think he probably though since the engine was running it was activated by some belts or something since the bonnet was closed... or maybe he was just an idiot....

and PS: lakshank: dont try to undermine my posts by stating remarks like above.. u dont wanna end up like some idiots in this forum.... think i have given u a fair explaination also...

Take it easy man... I wasn't undermining ur comment. It just sounded funny. explanation accepted, now cheer up :alc:

Edited by lakshank

Thanks

It should be some thing around 4000 - 6000 if i'm not mistaken, any how go with your father or mother. All you have to say is when judge asked guilty or not guilty.. guilty. Then they will tell you the fine and put you in cell/lockup. The person accompanied you have to pay the fine and produce the receipt .. out you go.

p.s. May fines are increased now.. its always better take some extra cash. If not you have to wait in the cell till someone pay for you.

Edited by MkX

Its 'Sajant mahathaya' [rank is:- sergeant]

In a earlier post - someone wanted to know how to identify the different ranks :-

Police Constable [Ralahamy]:- 01 or 02 'V' shaped stripes on their right sleeve

Police Sergeant [sajant mahathaya]-- 03 of above

Sub Inspector of Police - 01[One] Star

Inspector of Police -- 02[two] stars

Chief Inspector --03 stars

Rank afterwards is ASP, SP,SSP, DIG & IGP [none of these will be seen on our roads to conduct traffic duties]

Definitely didn't sound like Sajant mahatthaya, must be a shorten form for that then.

Here's a visual ID of the police ranks:

http://www.police.lk/divisions/rank.asp

Ok your glorious leader MasterDon got caught for speeding to just before the kegalla town this morning,the road was empty and me was nudging ninety...they started with straight to court threats then it was a 2500 buck fine for reckless driving cos 'they felt sorry for me',but finally a Peocock(or was it a mahinda?) did the trick.I'm not proud of it but there's no way i'm coming back to kegalle in the middle of my vacation.

suba aluth avuruddak wewa!

Ok your glorious leader MasterDon got caught for speeding to just before the kegalla town this morning,the road was empty and me was nudging ninety...they started with straight to court threats then it was a 2500 buck fine for reckless driving cos 'they felt sorry for me',but finally a Peocock(or was it a mahinda?) did the trick.I'm not proud of it but there's no way i'm coming back to kegalle in the middle of my vacation.

suba aluth avuruddak wewa!

you couldn't get away with your looks?

you couldn't get away with your looks?

Unfortunately for MD the cops were females, if the cops were male it would have been a different story ;)

Edited by The Stig