• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Place To Buy A Yamaha Bike?

Huzefa

there are many indian yammy agents around sri lanka and they should carry the fz-16

A*W are the agents for yamaha afaik

Thanks. Can you point me to a good place? Also what are the pros and cons of buying a bike like the FZ-S against buying a Honda CBR?

They are both roughly the same price ne? Thanks again :)

dude... don't be lazy. do some searching on rainbowpages etc and get a contact for yamaha bike dealerships near where you stay. and these joints are not hard to come by either.

also i think it's stupid to even think of comparing a cibbie to this indian piece of junk. as much as a decent bike the FZ is..its no match for a cibbie... not in any department. reliability, performance and even the looks

Alright thanks :) Then i should go for a CBR? But compared to the FZ most of the CBR's are pretty old.. What would be the price of a brand new CBR? Any place in the country that deals with new CBR's?

Sorry about the questions but i dont know much about bikes and need a good idea about the pro's and con;s before i buy :) thanks.

don't think brand new cbr's are available. but recon ones with newer model years are available and they arent cheap.

far more expensive that brand new indians.

you can check h1t ad and other sl classifieds... quite a few online classifieds sites too.

I am biased... so i will never go for an indian bike at their current stage when far better jap options are available.

jap bike parts are expensive over their indian counterparts. imo even expensive parts is no con cos they last longer and give you far better riding experience.

indians generally do better of fuel too.

Edited by Ripper

Ah. CBR's are hard to ride? I knew a couple people who started with those only.. Anyway i think i got a bit carried away here :unsure: Is the FZ a good starter?

Also most FZ's and CBR's are the same priceish so wouldnt the CBR be a better buy? Thanks :)

Between FZ and Cibbie, I would suggest to go for a Cibbie, simply because Indian bikes in any form are pretty unstable on the road. They also consider fuel efficiency, not just performance even when they design sports bikes for India. One way they do it is by reducing weight and keeping the tires as thin as possible. Good for fuel I guess but really bad for stability.

If you are new to bikes, you need to take a couple of days and keep riding it on an unpopulated place and ride slow slow slow at the beginning. Learn the basics like gear shifting (Cibbies have 6 speed transmission, unlike many bikes in Sri Lanka so u need to get used to that). U will be fine as u learn. Please wear a good helmet (not the cheap Thai ones in the market. UPCO helmets have saved my life in the past. If you can get a Original Shoei or an Arai - much better). Also wear elbow and knee guards at the beginning. I ain't joking here. Looking like a clown is better than looking dead.

There are thousands of cibbies which are hacked beyond repair in Sri Lanka so u need to inspect thoroughly before buying one. Cibbies which are less than 200k are defa hacked.

U also need to know that unlike most of the bikes in SL, cibbies are liquid cooled (FZ-Sh*t is air cooled, single disc. They call that a performance bike????). U need use a good coolant as well as a good engine oil with a cibbie. Not sure if they are 2-stroke or 4-stroke (My Yamaha was a 2-stroke). If the cibbie is 2-stroke, u need to add 2-T as well.

On the other hand, if this is your first bike, I share Pericles's sentiments. See if you can find a good 125CC bike before going for a cibbie. If u can get hold of a good condition jap Suzuki GS or a GN, that would be the ideal option for you, but I hardly see them on the road these days.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think trying to jump straight onto a CBR without knowing much about bikes is a good way to find yourself in an early grave. Maybe try a lower powered bike and master the basics before graduating onto sportsbikes?

fair enough i suppose. i started off on a 200c 2 stroke... had a few near death experiences but was lucky too see through those young stupid years.

as long you stick within your capabilities... imho...the CBR should be a far safer bike over any of those indian bikes.

you can ride like an idiot and die on a 50cc moped imo :)

Thanks for all your help guys :) Few questions again :rolleyes: How should i check if a CBR is in good condition when buying? Any pointers? Also any Veterans out there who have used these bikes (CBR's) would you mind giving me some pointers about maintenance,parts etc? Thanks again guys :)

ok cut to the chase !

peri is absolutely correct

and FYI riding an FZ is more safe and more comfortable and youll love riding it in our roads than riding a cibie

because eventually your gonna get fed up unless its a 2004-20XX CBR 6 or sumthin .

My first bike was a moped ,had the urge to get a cbr dude trust me got fed up in 3 months,its hard on the traffic

plus bikes are pretty used here ,if you are getting a cbr get a good reconditioned one or a well maintained one.

If you wanna ride safe and with comfortability try the FZ , i've ridden one and i would chose it over a cbr 250

because in this country the fz is better.

BUT if you get the logistics never compare a FZ To a Cibbie ,but that is if the cibbie is brand new or a good one which is impossible to find (relating to the 250 hurricane or gularm).

ok cut to the chase !

and FYI riding an FZ is more safe and more comfortable and youll love riding it in our roads than riding a cibie

because eventually your gonna get fed up unless its a 2004-20XX CBR 6 or sumthin .

My first bike was a moped ,had the urge to get a cbr dude trust me got fed up in 3 months,its hard on the traffic

plus bikes are pretty used here ,if you are getting a cbr get a good reconditioned one or a well maintained one.

If you wanna ride safe and with comfortability try the FZ , i've ridden one and i would chose it over a cbr 250

BUT if you get the logistics never compare a FZ To a Cibbie ,but that is if the cibbie is brand new or a good one which is impossible to find (relating to the 250 hurricane or gularm).

well we can agree to disagree :)

i wouldn't touch an indian bike like an FZ over a cibbie. riding position might not be the most comfortable on the cbr but it's not like you'd be riding for hours and hours. And for me...riding bikes is something far beyond mere commuting and biking by default is not the safest.

I'd rather have a good riding experience over ultra functionality any day...but that's just me...

ok cut to the chase !

ok let me try to understand what you are saying here. You are saying a front disk rear drum Indian bike with 110mm tires and 120kg kerb weight is safer than double front disk rear disk Japanese bike with 140mm tires and 145kg kerb weight? And also the design of FZ-S that actually makes your whole body rest on your ba**s is more comfy than the more conventional design of the cibbie?

And another point u mention is FZ-S (150CC) is better on our roads (which I assume you mean the roads full of potholes and traffic) than a 250 cibbie. And then you go on to say that CBR6 (which is a quicker bike) is better??? Does the 600CC engine of a CBR600RR fly above the potholes and the traffic???

Sorry man I don't see any logic behind your statements

BTW, is your minister uncle giving permits for us ordinary sri lankans also to get CBR6s??

PS. I know people have different personal likings and opinions do differ. I respect differences in opinion but I don't like to see illogical meaningless misleading comparisons like this.

ok let me try to understand what you are saying here. You are saying a front disk rear drum Indian bike with 110mm tires and 120kg kerb weight is safer than double front disk rear disk Japanese bike with 140mm tires and 145kg kerb weight? And also the design of FZ-S that actually makes your whole body rest on your ba**s is more comfy than the more conventional design of the cibbie?

A cibbie is safer if its an experienced rider :)

And another point u mention is FZ-S (150CC) is better on our roads (which I assume you mean the roads full of potholes and traffic) than a 250 cibbie. And then you go on to say that CBR6 (which is a quicker bike) is better??? Does the 600CC engine of a CBR600RR fly above the potholes and the traffic???

Sorry man I don't see any logic behind your statements

BTW, is your minister uncle giving permits for us ordinary sri lankans also to get CBR6s??

PS. I know people have different personal likings and opinions do differ. I respect differences in opinion but I don't like to see illogical meaningless misleading comparisons like this.

Aiyyo macho ! don't be offensive man , i wasn't comparing a CBR 250 with the FZ . FTW FZ is not even close to a cibbie .

but for a beginner i say the FZ is good . And when I said people will prefer riding a FZ daily considered to a cibbie is because I sell bikes part time and most of the people who had cbr's stopped liking it after a few months reason is because its hard to maintain and ride them and most of the cibbies left are pretty hacked (and here i mention again not every bike you can find decent bikes) .I DID MENTION - to find a good condition Cibbie 250.

As for the cibbie 600 what i meant was if we had freaking 600s here they have better suspension and travel and will actually withstand more shock than cibbie 250 passing through a pothole' as you said .Since we dont have them the only thing we are left with is the 1988- onwards cibie 250s. So you say owning a cibbie is more efficient for a rider well cheers to that :) in this country i repeat. And FYI i wasn't lying most did sell there cibbies and went to Supermotards and scramblers and so on .

I Also mentioned - "BUT if you get the logistics never compare a FZ To a Cibbie ,but that is if the cibbie is brand new or a good one which is impossible to find (relating to the 250 hurricane or gularm)."

Who need permits in this country

Edited by Shehan_WCC

well we can agree to disagree :)

i wouldn't touch an indian bike like an FZ over a cibbie. riding position might not be the most comfortable on the cbr but it's not like you'd be riding for hours and hours. And for me...riding bikes is something far beyond mere commuting and biking by default is not the safest.

I'd rather have a good riding experience over ultra functionality any day...but that's just me...

yeah buddy i think the way I put it mislead others 'apologize'.

well i Ride to negombo,kurnegala most of the time and i am not that experience with age I just turned 20 but i know my Bikes.

But one thing is when i ride on a Ct100 or boxer and when i go the same journey on a cibbie

the topspeeds are just crazy man . But at the end of the day I still prefer riding the Ct100 because its actually comfy

and less tirey ,unless we have highways every where .

I Love bikes and ill tell you what riding a Ducati monster is more satisfying than a cbr ,riding an XR ,tracker ,DRZ is much much more better in our roads :)

Edited by Shehan_WCC

Aiyyo macho ! don't be offensive man , i wasn't comparing a CBR 250 with the FZ . FTW FZ is not even close to a cibbie .

but for a beginner i say the FZ is good . And when I said people will prefer riding a FZ daily considered to a cibbie is because I sell bikes part time and most of the people who had cbr's stopped liking it after a few months reason is because its hard to maintain and ride them and most of the cibbies left are pretty hacked (and here i mention again not every bike you can find decent bikes) .I DID MENTION - to find a good condition Cibbie 250.

As for the cibbie 600 what i meant was if we had freaking 600s here they have better suspension and travel and will actually withstand more shock than cibbie 250 passing through a pothole' as you said .Since we dont have them the only thing we are left with is the 1988- onwards cibie 250s. So you say owning a cibbie is more efficient for a rider well cheers to that :) in this country i repeat. And FYI i wasn't lying most did sell there cibbies and went to Supermotards and scramblers and so on .

I Also mentioned - "BUT if you get the logistics never compare a FZ To a Cibbie ,but that is if the cibbie is brand new or a good one which is impossible to find (relating to the 250 hurricane or gularm)."

Who need permits in this country

haha well... my apologies for the rather worked-up tone of my reply too. cheers buddy.

All Z well :) . my apologies too for been bit offensive on the cibbie i love the bike

Well this topic has certainly blown up :P

Ok guys then im probably going to start off with the FZ and look to buy a CBR sometime in the future :) Thanks for all your help.

don't think brand new cbr's are available. but recon ones with newer model years are available and they arent cheap.

far more expensive that brand new indians.

you can check h1t ad and other sl classifieds... quite a few online classifieds sites too.

I am biased... so i will never go for an indian bike at their current stage when far better jap options are available.

jap bike parts are expensive over their indian counterparts. imo even expensive parts is no con cos they last longer and give you far better riding experience.

indians generally do better of fuel too.

The only brand new CBR that was available recently was the CBR 150. This is a Thailand made one. I brought one for 320k around 3 years back. As far as I know Stafford at the time braught 25 bikes and I think they still have stock. Not sure though.

The only brand new CBR that was available recently was the CBR 150. This is a Thailand made one. I brought one for 320k around 3 years back. As far as I know Stafford at the time braught 25 bikes and I think they still have stock. Not sure though.

Hmmmm maybe i will look into them :) Thanks

Well this topic has certainly blown up :P

Ok guys then im probably going to start off with the FZ and look to buy a CBR sometime in the future :) Thanks for all your help.

Its blow up all rite .

Well its upto you buddy if i was you i would love to get a cbr but then after sometime i would still get the FZ .

cause its good for daily riding :)

I disagree that second hand CBR's are hacked, and they are tough to maintain and most of all...people give up on them after a few months of ownership.

That's just all bull crap!

hacked bikes, hacked vehicles are common in any brand and having a decent sportsbike does mean that things like tyres and even spark plugs are more expensive than those on indian junk.

Best bet for OP is to maybe test ride both bikes and make a call himself.

I disagree that second hand CBR's are hacked, and they are tough to maintain and most of all...people give up on them after a few months of ownership.

That's just all bull crap!

hacked bikes, hacked vehicles are common in any brand and having a decent sportsbike does mean that things like tyres and even spark plugs are more expensive than those on indian junk.

Best bet for OP is to maybe test ride both bikes and make a call himself.

True enough man :) btw the Yamaha FZ-S is 250,000 at A*W so cheaper than a CBR i guess. Also can you give me some pointers to check out if a used CBR is hacked or not? Thanks guys :)