• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Maintanence

rover

Does anyone knows a reliable place for maintanance and checking of hybrid cars like the prius. I heard that toyota lanka are planning to open up a special workshop for these vehicles. I'm asking this is that i have recently bought a toyota prius and i'm suspecting that one of front wheel bearings needs replacement.

• Like 1

Oh dear. That bearing is a killer to remove and replace. I head that it may cost up to USD700, plus you need to add the oil seal, locking ring and spring washer also. Besides I doubt if anyone here has the press to pop that sucker out.

Besides when you do any repairs on a Prius you need to keep it inside a Faraday cage to prevent the delicate electronics from frying due to static grounding.

Why do you think despite it's global success, Toyota Lanka never brought them down all this time>? The initial outlay just to support a Prius far exceed that of selling them.

• Like 2

I don't think there will be special service centers for hybrids.Other than the hybrid system, almost everything not having a major difference from a normal sedan.for your wheel bearings replacement, any reliable place who does that work will be fine.

Oh dear. That bearing is a killer to remove and replace. I head that it may cost up to USD700, plus you need to add the oil seal, locking ring and spring washer also. Besides I doubt if anyone here has the press to pop that sucker out.

Besides when you do any repairs on a Prius you need to keep it inside a Faraday cage to prevent the delicate electronics from frying due to static grounding.

Why do you think despite it's global success, Toyota Lanka never brought them down all this time>? The initial outlay just to support a Prius far exceed that of selling them.

are u for real... :ninja:

I don't think there will be special service centers for hybrids.Other than the hybrid system, almost everything not having a major difference from a normal sedan.for your wheel bearings replacement, any reliable place who does that work will be fine.

Not exactly. To make the Prius super efficient, Toyota has used a special type of bearing to reduce friction. Those buggers cost a lot. Imagine, a BMW E36 bearing is 35K... what do you think a Hi-Tec bearing would cost. I hope the money saved on petrol is invested wisely for rainy days like this.

Actually this is some what out of the topic. But after reading the posts in this forum regarding prius I became to know that the high mileage that prius boasting is not only because the hybrid system of course but also from lot of other modified things such as low resistance tires, low friction bearings, improved aerodynamics,light weight ...etc. I wonder how normal gasoline powered car will gain in mileage with those modifications...

Well, Hybrid tech not the magic pill. It is a collection of so many things. For a vehicle to be super efficient it needs to overcome the rolling resistance. That's why Hybrid vehicles even have separate tyre design, brakes, suspension and rolling gear. I am surprised that people do not do any research before splurging 3+ million on a car.

Just because the tax is low and its supposedly does well on gas should not be the reasons to buy a car. Add to this the enws from Toyota/Japan today... ;(

Toyota making drastic production cuts after Japan quake, tsunami

By the CNN Wire Staff

April 20, 2011 -- Updated 0952 GMT (1752 HKT)

Toyota announced more cuts as supply chain woes mount.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Toyota announces drastic production cuts in North America and China

The company had already announced that it dropped production in Japan

The cuts come amid difficulty in supplying parts after last month's quake and tsunami in Japan

(CNN) -- Toyota has announced drastic production cuts in North America and China due to difficulty in supplying parts following the massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Previously, Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing North America, Inc. (TEMA), had said it would suspend production on Mondays and Fridays between April 15 and April 25. That will continue through June 3, the company said in a statement.

"During the same period, production will run at 50% on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday," the statement said.

In addition, Canadian production will be suspended for the week beginning May 23, and U.S. production for the week starting May 30.

No decisions have been made for production after June 3, according to Toyota Motor Corp.

Actually this is some what out of the topic. But after reading the posts in this forum regarding prius I became to know that the high mileage that prius boasting is not only because the hybrid system of course but also from lot of other modified things such as low resistance tires, low friction bearings, improved aerodynamics,light weight ...etc. I wonder how normal gasoline powered car will gain in mileage with those modifications...

hmmm i think the PRI-ASS should come with some sensors and make sure the occupents fall into some weight range.. if not the car shouldnt start..then it should do 10000+KMPL...what an idea SIRji... :lol:

Edited by charitha19

THis is off a UK Prius forum.

Rear wheel bearings.

Does anyone have the manufacturers part number for the 2008 Prius rear wheel bearing(s) actual numbers on the bearing, not the hub. I have access to a press to push the bearings out and in but need to keep the car on the road till I replace the bearing witch at this time has a slight hum. The bearing hub in UK is £240 for non Toyota part, and as a pensioner need to save money.

Last edited by Britprius; 04-11-2011 at 05:20 PM.

So the rear bearing non-Toyota is GBP240.. ;( Thats almost 45K, add to this tax, custom duty and transport.

Does anyone knows a reliable place for maintanance and checking of hybrid cars like the prius. I heard that toyota lanka are planning to open up a special workshop for these vehicles. I'm asking this is that i have recently bought a toyota prius and i'm suspecting that one of front wheel bearings needs replacement.

machang, looks like you are looking at a 50k plus per wheel repair, going by what these guys are talking about.

marey wadey ney lokka.... considering these are in the UK where there is virtually no dust.. low humidity and cold temperatures... i feel a sudden stroke coming if i was a beloved PRI-ASS owner right now.. since in SL all the above factors are much harsher... high temperatures.. heavy dust... high humidity... and no backing from the agents... oh there it is.... i feel the stroke coming.. oh oh.... :blink:

marey wadey ney lokka.... considering these are in the UK where there is virtually no dust.. low humidity and cold temperatures... i feel a sudden stroke coming if i was a beloved PRI-ASS owner right now.. since in SL all the above factors are much harsher... high temperatures.. heavy dust... high humidity... and no backing from the agents... oh there it is.... i feel the stroke coming.. oh oh.... :blink:

No matter how solid or proven Toyota technology and quality is, whole hybrid technology, from the engine (atkinson cycle) to the tire are new inventions and being tested and improved, I say it again, being improved. That's why the Gen 3 is somewhat better than the Gen 1 so to speak. Whilst agreeing to charitha's comments about the usage or in automobile manufacturer's term, it's terrain. Countries like GB are classified as Soft Terrain and Sri Lanka is classified as Hard Terrain, Dusty Atmostphere. So, what you import from UK are the ones made for soft terrains and that shows why it fails in hard terrained, pothole filled roads in SL.

Having said that the things inside can be worse when we consider almost all hybrids brought down here have changed odo meters, so the actual mileage of the car may be far worse than the reading on the odo meter.

Thanks all u guys for the comments and advice, though still i'm optimistic that I can get away with a low cost repair, although the bearing noise is not present allways and only heard when turning a sharp corner at high speed. I can get a couple of hundred miles more to see if the situation worsens.Any way 4 u r information, i did 3 months of reserch before buying my prius so i knew the pros and cons of owning a hybrid, and my final conclusion from all facts and figures that I collated during these months is that the prius is a low maintenance vehicle compared to other types, no matter what people say. Anyway it is true that we cant expect the same durability in conditions like Sri lanka and the prius is still under test in this country so we can see the outcome in a few months time.

No matter how solid or proven Toyota technology and quality is, whole hybrid technology, from the engine (atkinson cycle) to the tire are new inventions and being tested and improved, I say it again, being improved. That's why the Gen 3 is somewhat better than the Gen 1 so to speak. Whilst agreeing to charitha's comments about the usage or in automobile manufacturer's term, it's terrain. Countries like GB are classified as Soft Terrain and Sri Lanka is classified as Hard Terrain, Dusty Atmostphere. So, what you import from UK are the ones made for soft terrains and that shows why it fails in hard terrained, pothole filled roads in SL.

Having said that the things inside can be worse when we consider almost all hybrids brought down here have changed odo meters, so the actual mileage of the car may be far worse than the reading on the odo meter.

Can they really change the odometer of these type of vehicle. As far as I know the digital display unit which includes the odometer in the prius is surprisingly expensive and i dont think the people who import these cars will go that far to change it. The prius that I owns was imported from UK and the odometer shows 37k miles which I think is acceptable for a 2007 modle.