• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

Would any of the treehugers who brag about the environmental savings here buy a hybrid or even know about one if the tax didn't decrease for them,

Thanks for bringing this up, because this flawed :rolleyes: argument has been bandied about a lot here.

Consider this hypothetical situation...

Lets say the tax cuts never happened and a Prius is 10 million.

An environmentalist is looking to buy a car and really wants a Prius because it is enviromentally friendly. Low emissions and environmental friendliness is their genuine #1 reason for wanting a Prius.

However, the most they can spend on a car is 4 million and the Prius is 10 million. Bottom line: they can't afford the Prius.

Then the tax cut happens and the cost goes down to 4 million. Suddenly now they can afford the Prius and they buy one.

The fact that they bought one after the tax cut because the tax cut made the car attainable doesn't diminish their environmental credentials. Why?: environmental friendliness was the main reason they wanted the Prius in the first place.

Thanks for bringing this up, because this flawed :rolleyes: argument has been bandied about a lot here.

An environmentalist is looking to buy a car and really wants a Prius because it is enviromentally friendly. Low emissions and environmental friendliness is their genuine #1 reason for wanting a Prius.

However, the most they can spend on a car is 4 million and the Prius is 10 million. Bottom line: they can't afford the Prius.

Then the tax cut happens and the cost goes down to 4 million. Suddenly now they can afford the Prius and they buy one.

The fact that they bought one after the tax cut because the tax cut made the car attainable doesn't diminish their environmental credentials. Why?: environmental friendliness was the main reason they wanted the Prius in the first place.

oh for the love of god, the only reason people bought the prius is its fuel figures. most of the people whom i know who drives prius or other hybrids, dont give an arse about the environment. all they care about is the KMPL you get compared to other cars in the price range.

cali, this is Sri Lanka.

I was being tongue in cheek. (but btw, mathematically one incorrect post out of 500+ posts is 99.99% correct.)

:rolleyes:

your google mind doesn't seems to comprende about why people in sl buy prius they buy it for tax cut good kmpl and damn toyota badge that's the reasons not bcouse they are environmentalist they don't give a f##k about environment.

oh for the love of god, the only reason people bought the prius is its fuel figures. most of the people whom i know who drives prius or other hybrids, dont give an arse about the environment. all they care about is the KMPL you get compared to other cars in the price range.

cali, this is Sri Lanka.

True. The vast majority bought for tax savings and kmpl and don't give a damn about emissions.

But the example was not referring to that majority. It was referring to the very small group that bought a hybrid for environmental reasons.

:rolleyes:

your google mind doesn't seems to comprende about why people in sl buy prius they buy it for tax cut good kmpl and damn toyota badge that's the reasons not bcouse they are environmentalist they don't give a f##k about environment.

Again...please read a post and THINK about it before replying .

the example was not referring to the vast majority of hybrid buyers who bought for tax cut, good kmpl and the Toyota name. Those people have been discussed and attacked to death on this forum and nothing more needs to be said about them.

The example was CLEARLY referring to the very small number of people who bought a hybrid for treehugging reasons which is why the example started off with "An enviromentalist"...

An environmentalist is looking to buy a car and really wants a Prius because it is enviromentally friendly...

True. The vast majority bought for tax savings and kmpl and don't give a damn about emissions.

But the example was not referring to that majority. It was referring to the very small group that bought a hybrid for environmental reasons.

ur smoking some deep s___ man,

how many percentage of people in SL do you think bought just to save the environment?

the majority of people who bought the prius, bought it for ONLY KMPL figures and resale value due to its Toyota Badge.

only around 5% of the people bought it to save the environment.

and for those environmentalist. like 'toyota sucks' pointed out, they all bought it because of the tax reduction. if it was like over 6-7M (face it, this is SL after all) here

no one would give a damn, only some rich kid who like to show off would.

and im glad only around 5% of the prius owners are tree huggers. Prius isn't a very slow car like most people think.

just to save there precious environment they hyper-mile and drive mostly on the battery and ruin others life.

i just hate the smug and the snail pace driving of some prius owners.

• Like 1

I got 99.998%

ok cali you say you got 99.998% factually correct post and some say you got 0.00001% factually correct posts it's easy to say you have 99.998% factually correct post by your self but when you ask others you get whole different number what i say is you can't say you have 99.998% factually correct post let the others decides how many factually correct post you have.

As far as I know, every post of mine that MIBS has +1 has been factually correct.

And, yes, I was not correct about the Prius wheel cover. That reduced my factually correct posts score to 99.999% correct from 100% correct. Damn!

Well thats not true for a couple of reasons,

1) More than 50% of your posts are arguments against other members

2) Yes the rest of the posts are factually correct, but the only reason for that is because you directly cut and paste information from websites which are pretty much factually correct.You never post anything legitimate of your own knowledge without googling as you don't know a damn thing about cars which was clearly evident by the fact that you didnt know your own car had a hubcap instead of alloys.

3) you never answer questions asked by other people regrading hybrids (thing that you cant find on google), for an instance there were numerous threads about issues regarding hybrids and you weren't anywhere to be seen as you probably wouldn't have had the answers anyways. So not answering legitimate questions means you cant go wrong.

See below. Btw, they are well aware of the high performance hybrids and of course have every right to their opinion.

Now now we were talking about mainstream models like the prius, i wouldn't even think twice if i was given a cayenne hybrid and if had enough money for maintenance.

Like i have said before, we don't hate hybrids because of their technology. We just hate them cause of the hype they have created, and that too we wouldn't mind if the hype was about being green which in Sri Lankan context is clearly not the case.

Your antics don't change the fact that you are constantly agreeing with incorrect facts and wrong information which shows your lack of knowledge and ignorance.

Says the guy who didnt know the existence of hubcaps on his own car :rolleyes:

Dont throw stones at other when you are in a glass house

Utter BS !

Firstly Sri Lanka has had all electric cars for more than 3-4 years, a real tree huger wouldn't buy a hybrid but would rather go for an EV as they are zero emissions as opposed to low emissions.And they are much cheaper than a prius as well.

Secondly and most importantly a real tree hugger wont buy a car in the first place, they would simply use public transport.

If you actually divide the amount of emissions by the amount of people using public transport its a fact that a person using public transport only emits 1/6th of the amount that a person who drives daily to work would emit.

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 3

Utter BS !</p>

Firstly Sri Lanka has had all electric cars for more than 3-4 years, a real tree huger wouldn't buy a hybrid but would rather go for an EV as they are zero emissions as opposed to low emissions.And they are much cheaper than a prius as well.

Secondly and most importantly a real tree hugger wont buy a car in the first place, they would simply use public transport.

If you actually divide the amount of emissions by the amount of people using public transport its a fact that a person using public transport only emits 1/6th of the amount that a person who drives daily to work would emit.

Well, now you're splitting hairs aren't you. And being judgmental.

Tell me, who is this mythical "real tree hugger" that you refer to?

Below are 12 people who consider themselves to be tree huggers and each has made their personal transport choice for environmental reasons because they care about reducing emissions.

Who is the "real tree hugger" according to you? (I know you said someone who rides public transport is a "real tree hugger", but that answer wasn't particularly well thought out so I'll give you more choices)

--- Someone who could buy a large powerful higher pollution car, but instead chooses to have a small conventional car such as a Fit or a Vitz?

--- Someone who has a biofuel car?

--- Someone who has a large hybrid such as a Porsche, Lexus, BMW or Benz?

--- Someone who has a small hybrid such as Prius or Insight?

--- Someone who has a three-wheeler?

--- Someone who has a crap useless electric car from 3-4 years ago?

--- Someone who has a modern electric car such as a Nissan Leaf or Tesla?

--- Someone who has an electric three-wheeler?

--- Someone who rides public transport everywhere?

--- Someone who carpools with others?

--- Someone who could buy a car, but instead chooses to use a bullock cart and cow to get around?

--- Someone who either walks or rides their bicycle everywhere?

Remember each of these people have made their personal transport choice because they care about reducing emissions and want to do something to reduce emissions. Who among them is the "real tree hugger" that you talk about?

Edited by Californikan

Well, now you're splitting hairs aren't you. And being judgmental.

Tell me, who is this mythical "real tree hugger" that you refer to?

Below are 12 people who consider themselves to be tree huggers and each has made their personal transport choice for environmental reasons because they care about reducing emissions.

Who is the "real tree hugger" according to you? (I know you said someone who rides public transport is a "real tree hugger", but that answer wasn't particularly well thought out so I'll give you more choices)

--- Someone who could buy a large powerful higher pollution car, but instead chooses to have a small conventional car such as a Fit or a Vitz? some might but very rare, and doesn't make all the people who drive small cars tree huggers

--- Someone who has a biofuel car? no its not zero or low emissions, its just an alternative to fossil fuel

--- Someone who has a large hybrid such as a Porsche, Lexus, BMW or Benz? maybe, but with Sri Lankan context almost all who bought hybrids of this sort bought it cause of the loop in taxation not cause of environmental reasons.

--- Someone who has a small hybrid such as Prius or Insight? In Sri Lankan context except those few people who bought hybrids before the tax cut absolutely not.

--- Someone who has a three-wheeler? Get your facts straight, three wheelers are not eco friendly at all, besides most of them are 2stroke which makes it even worse

--- Someone who has a crap useless electric car from 3-4 years ago? yes ! ! ! Why ? cause he prioritises his noble cause before his well being, and i know plenty of real tree huggers who have done this in SL !

--- Someone who has a modern electric car such as a Nissan Leaf or Tesla? Absolutely

--- Someone who has an electric three-wheeler? yes

--- Someone who rides public transport everywhere? You are misinterpretation my statement, im not saying that tree huggers should go everywhere using public transport. My point is that most of the hybrids in SL are used for short distance drives usually to work and back, they could easily do more for the environment if they used public transport which they wont cause they didn't buy their hybrids to be green !

--- Someone who carpools with others? If he/she does it with the intention of being green, yes

--- Someone who could buy a car, but instead chooses to use a bullock cart and cow to get around? Now thats kind of a retarded comeback even for your standards.

--- Someone who either walks or rides their bicycle everywhere? Everywhere no, to distances that's possible yes.

Remember each of these people have made their personal transport choice because they care about reducing emissions and want to do something to reduce emissions. Who among them is the "real tree hugger" that you talk about?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It was actually a trick question.

The answer to the question "Who is a real tree hugger?" is  "it's a matter of opinion". Just like the answer to  similar open ended questions such as "Who is a real patriot?" or "Who is a real artist?". One's answer is  personal opinion

Your answers are your opinion only and nothing more, just like my answers are my opinion and nothing more, and someone elses answers are their opinion and nothing more.People's  answer to the question will be different, because people are just stating their opinion.

And you know the saying about opinions......."Opinions are like a persons asshole. A person with an opinion thinks everybody's else's stinks except their own."

Edited by Californikan

This is indeed strange. This recall smells of a new way to fleece the Eager Beaver Tree Hugging community... Whats the best this is not a FOC recall, but a, 'oh, you have to replace this fuse for LKR43,000+VAT' gimmick... ;)

First there were seminars to 'teach' Prius to the owners, now its a recall... :)

I'm gonna guess these are the actual models and chassis numbers that have been recalled by Toyota in the past (so people checking out google can think its real), but I'm also pretty sure this non-agent company can't authorize a "recall". It will have to come thru Toyota Lanka, innit?

Methinks its a fleece job on the penny-wise, pound-foolish crowd too.

As mentioned by Shakespeare in pansiya panas jaathakaya, "a fool and his money are soon parted"

in fact there seems to be a bit of a competition over who gets the biggest share of fools money

Edited by liya

More likely that these are cars already registered with Hybrid Motors, and they having checked the recall sheets came across a few matching numbers and decided to profit from it. AFAIK recalls done by the manufacturer mean a free solution for the problem.

Your answers are your opinion only and nothing more, just like my answers are my opinion and nothing more, and someone elses answers are their opinion and nothing more.People's answer to the question will be different, because people are just stating their opinion.

No shit, and your point is ? :huh:

Prius hybrids in Lanka recalled

Two models of the Prius hybrid cars in Sri Lanka are being recalled over faulty software and electric coolant pump.

http://www.island.lk...ode_title=37149

These are both old recalls.

I'm not sure if it's the newspaper reporter's writing or Hybrid Motors actual press release that is making it sound like the recall is happening just now.

The first recall for the brakes (the software rewrite) can be done with a simple download. I wonder how much Hybrid Motors will charge for it. Since they are saying this is a "recall" and a recall is done for free, they really shouldn't charge.

The second recall is for a pump in 2004-2007 Prii that had some premature failures, usually at high mileages of 200,000+ kms. If the pump fails, the check engine light comes on, and the car can still be driven. Toyota redesigned the pump in 2007, I think, and they offered to install the redesigned pump for free in 2004-2007 Prii in the recall.

Most of the Prii in SL should have had these fixes done (for free) by their previous Japanese or British owners before the cars came to SL.

Edited by Californikan