• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

Well..... the poll results show the same ( 86 Vs 40 votes ) , but some guys here don't like to accept reality, as clearly seen from all the ugly arguments on this thread..... careful u might get clobbered on the head with a V8

look man the reality is our general motorists will buy the prius due to fuel consumption and it is a decent car too. we never said it will never be popular.. of course it will be.. as i said its a good thing. the prices of proper drivers cars will now come down..

Dont think that's a fair comment.

Hybrids became popula only after tax concessions. Until such time, non of these pro hybrid people were even here let alone start and continue fights.

And just because hybrids are getting popular due to low purchase cost and running costs doesn't necessarily make it a good car.

If that was the case, marutis too should be a great car with the amount of cars you see on our roads.

Your arguments are all very correct, but just like NadriqE has said the question is NOT weather the Hybrid is a better car but weather it will be popular and succeed in Sri Lanka.

If you look at it the most popular car in Sri Lanka is the Corrolla, we all know its a pretty basic A to B car, does well on fuel and has a decent re-sale value simply cos its got the Toyota badge. The car is a bit boring to drive but people still buy it like crazy. The same with the Maruti or Alto, these cars are successful as its got a low price tag. There is nothing wrong in buying a cheap car as long as it serves the purpose.

Now u got the Prius, still a boring car but does far better on fuel than the normal Corolla, lower price tag and the higher cost of fuel plus its made in Japan. To top it off Toyota lanka is now confirming they will maintain the Hybrids, and Stafford too is selling the Insight as Brand new. When a car becomes popular automatically the infrastructure will develop around it, like the spare part guys in Delkanda or Panchikawatha will have almost any part for a hybrid.

The same thing was there when the automatic cars came to Sri Lanka... now its more difficult to find manual cars, not that manufacturers don't make manual but people prefer the auto. We still prefer a manual but we are not the majority.

Your arguments are all very correct, but just like NadriqE has said the question is NOT weather the Hybrid is a better car but weather it will be popular and succeed in Sri Lanka.

If you look at it the most popular car in Sri Lanka is the Corrolla, we all know its a pretty basic A to B car, does well on fuel and has a decent re-sale value simply cos its got the Toyota badge. The car is a bit boring to drive but people still buy it like crazy. The same with the Maruti or Alto, these cars are successful as its got a low price tag. There is nothing wrong in buying a cheap car as long as it serves the purpose.

Now u got the Prius, still a boring car but does far better on fuel than the normal Corolla, lower price tag and the higher cost of fuel plus its made in Japan. To top it off Toyota lanka is now confirming they will maintain the Hybrids, and Stafford too is selling the Insight as Brand new. When a car becomes popular automatically the infrastructure will develop around it, like the spare part guys in Delkanda or Panchikawatha will have almost any part for a hybrid.

The same thing was there when the automatic cars came to Sri Lanka... now its more difficult to find manual cars, not that manufacturers don't make manual but people prefer the auto. We still prefer a manual but we are not the majority.

The corolla you mention didn't become an instant sales success overnight y'know. It took years and several different models performing CONSISTENTLY WELL IN SRI LANKAN CONDITIONS before it got the reputation that it has now.

This thread is not even a year old, and it hasn't really been that long since the Hybrid tax cut either.... And if you'll notice, Toyota Lanka still does not officially import a single hybrid. The reasons given? They still aren't sure how well the cars will hold up in the longer term in SL conditions. The only agents that have started offering hybrid models are Honda and Porsche, that too very recently.

So it's still FAR too early to say that Hybrids will become a success here, just because every Siripala, Gunapala, Californikan and Rover go off and buy the damn things as soon as the tax drops does not mean that they are unqualified successes in our market. But then we've been saying that all along.

The bottom line is, no matter how much Cali tries his subtle little hybrid marketing using stuff he pulled off the web and no matter how many fools who jumped in and bought the things and now are trying to justify themselves come here and shout, it will be a while yet before we can actually say that Hybrids are successful in Sri Lanka.

Why? Simply because, We. Do. Not. Have. Enough. Usage. Data.

Edited by Supra_Natural
  • Like 8

The corolla you mention didn't become an instant sales success overnight y'know. It took years and several different models performing CONSISTENTLY WELL IN SRI LANKAN CONDITIONS before it got the reputation that it has now.

This thread is not even a year old, and it hasn't really been that long since the Hybrid tax cut either.... And if you'll notice, Toyota Lanka still does not officially import a single hybrid. The reasons given? They still aren't sure how well the cars will hold up in the longer term in SL conditions. The only agents that have started offering hybrid models are Honda and Porsche, that too very recently.

So it's still FAR too early to say that Hybrids will become a success here, just because every Siripala, Gunapala, Californikan and Rover go off and buy the damn things as soon as the tax drops does not mean that they are unqualified successes in our market. But then we've been saying that all along.

The bottom line is, no matter how much Cali tries his subtle little hybrid marketing using stuff he pulled off the web and no matter how many fools who jumped in and bought the things and now are trying to justify themselves come here and shout, it will be a while yet before we can actually say that Hybrids are successful in Sri Lanka.

well Carbon...supra has read my mind :) And this is what we've been trying to tell the hybrid chaps!

• Like 1

it will be a while yet before we can actually say that Hybrids are successful in Sri Lanka.

well Carbon...supra has read my mind :) And this is what we've been trying to tell the hybrid chaps!

But if we don't have the Hybrid guys ( the early adapters ) the hybrids would not get off the ground in the first place we would never know if it succeeded or not if nobody bought it .

But if we don't have the Hybrid guys ( the early adapters ) the hybrids would not get off the ground in the first place we would never know if it succeeded or not if nobody bought it .

and your point is? No one here is bashing early adopters or telling people not to buy hybrids. It's their choice. What we are against is the b.s. coming from people like cali who make hybrids out to be a technological marvel, think everyone should own one and continue to spread misinformation. Stop acting like a dumba$$ and making this whole thing into something it's not. Jeez.....oh yeah and when someone makes a valid point stop trying to steer it away with your b.s. I think your mom's calling you now, it's milk time. Don't come back here crying okay? I didn't mean to hurt your "feelings."

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 8

New gen Hybrid guys are NOT early adapters.

Early adapters were the chaps who coughed out the dough and bought gen 1's when it was introduced.

Those people have our full respect.

The new bunch bought these hybrids because they were cheap.

Nothing more.

also...you think these guys would've bought the hybrids if it came from a none mainstream brand?

Toyotas, Hondas already have a large following in SL so when cheaper cars came from those two brands, it didn't take an "early adapter" to buy into it.

Edited by Ripper
  • Like 1

Obviously we are not the only ones to be tired of these prius owners. The dislike is universal :)

“You can tell gas prices are going up in California. Prius owners are getting that smug look again.” –Jay Leno, 20 Feb 2012
Edited by liya

Machang, will you be willing to sell your B4TT (that kicks in comes on board) and get yourself a Battery powered Hybrid?

Machang, will you be willing to sell your B4TT (that kicks in comes on board) and get yourself a Battery powered Hybrid?

LOL...It doesn't kick in or come on board machan...Carbon's car is the worst B4 in SL.heck even threewheelers are faster....And this ain't an insult.It is a FACT!

What exactly happened to it, in terms of damage? Yes, lets talk about his car.

Yes, it will be interesting to talk about this. These late bloomers... even that gimp IJ has got himself a B4TT and is now all '2nd turbo Kicked in 'yo'.... ;)

• Like 1

Adey.... where are all these Hybrid boys, looks like I am fighting a lone battle on behalf of the hybrids....

LOL...It doesn't kick in or come on board machan...Carbon's car is the worst B4 in SL.heck even threewheelers are faster....And this ain't an insult.It is a FACT!

What to do... machang, can us sell some of that scrap metal and lend me some money to buy a boost gauge... ?

Talk about wanting to sniff other peoples pus**s.....

Just to get something corrected, its early adOpters, not adApters!

Thank you English master... :) you learn something everyday..... I always thought it was adapt

couldn't resist saying this,

Corolla s success here is not only the toyota badge but rather its rock soild reliability. I (ab)used a '96 one for 3 years over 100,000 km and is still going strong...

So you can't say a hybrid was successful here until they pass huge mileages without significant issues....

Could you be so kind to tell us about these 'SRI LANKAN CONDITIONS' that you are refering to?

Adey.... where are all these Hybrid boys, looks like I am fighting a lone battle on behalf of the hybrids....

machang I believe you are capable enough to fight alone. Same with me. Unlike a handfull of members who will jump in to defend each other.

Could you be so kind to tell us about these 'SRI LANKAN CONDITIONS' that you are refering to?

are u serious.. are u living in SL or what... the constant high temperatures... the uneven roads taking a toll on the suspension.... the very coarse dust particles... to name a few.. oh yes the stop and go traffic... hmmm... and mind u when sensitive electronic parts get covered by dust they tend not to dissipate heat very well.. i hope the prius and the other cars have good insulation for this... i cant comment as i haven't looked that deeply into the engine and the components.. i fell a sleep on the drive...

and mind u in here the blind community is complaining that they get hit by hybrids and other electric cars as they cant hear an engine note.. thats how they time their crossing and walking.. guess in SL that doesn't matter though.. so i think there is a case and hybrids and electrics are trying to come up with some sort of sound to eliminate the number of accidents that occur with them and the blind folk... or in here differently abled folk.. to be politically correct.. sorry going OT there.. the US is also working on this i think..

Sorry dude,please don't cry...does it feel like we're ganging up on you?do you want us to go easy?

machang I believe you are capable enough to fight alone. Same with me. Unlike a handfull of members who will jump in to defend each other.

Really?...fight alone eh?...What about the times you and Cali were acting like each other's buttboys?

Long story short...Car meets with accident,douchebag owner's's fault,half-ass repair job,now gets smoked by mopeds...nothing kickin' in yo! :D Edited by MasterDon

We have already pointed out said conditions many times. If you STILL haven't managed to read them, well, it certainly casts your comprehension skills in doubt. Which doesn't really reflect well on your choice of car, makes it look like buying without comprehension.

We have already pointed out said conditions many times. If you STILL haven't managed to read them, well, it certainly casts your comprehension skills in doubt. Which doesn't really reflect well on your choice of car, makes it look like buying without comprehension.

I have already counteracted those myths many times. If you STILL haven't managed to read them, well, it certainly casts your comprehension skills in doubt. Which doesn't really reflect well on you.

http://www.autolanka...post__p__159788

p.s Sorry for copy pasting some of your words.

Edited by rover