• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Squealing Noise

pissa

Question

Guys, when i run my car for an extended period (e.g. driving long distance, driving here and there without giving it much of a rest) there comes a squealing noise from the brakes. this is a not the high pitched screech noise you get, but more like the noise associated when buses apply brakes. the noise disappears when after an extended rest (e.g. overnight)

but it only comes when i run the car for about 3 hours continuously (it doesnt come on my daily office run). so i am assuming it comes when the brakes get heated up beyond a certain point. i took it to the agents (Toyota, during my regular services) and they said it was due to dust and cleaning will solve it. (the pads where fine, they said). It did help, but i am thinking that it was more due to the brakes being cooled off when being washed since when the car was taken for the next outstation ride the noise was back. the noise is more pronounced when i hit the brakes going down a steep slope..

since this comes only during the long runs and since the agents didnt seem too fussed about it, i tend to ignore the problem... any thoughts on what this could be? should i be worried??

thanks...

P.S. The car is a conventional and not a hybrid B)

Edited by pissa

20 answers to this question

There is a disk brake contact cleaner. if all 4 are disks then you can do it your self. buy the can and spray on them.

Dont spray stuff like WD40 (Your car would become a boat if you use the wrong stuff on the brakes)

Guys, when i run my car for an extended period (e.g. driving long distance, driving here and there without giving it much of a rest) there comes a squealing noise from the brakes. this is a not the high pitched screech noise you get, but more like the noise associated when buses apply brakes. the noise disappears when after an extended rest (e.g. overnight)

but it only comes when i run the car for about 3 hours continuously (it doesnt come on my daily office run). so i am assuming it comes when the brakes get heated up beyond a certain point. i took it to the agents (Toyota, during my regular services) and they said it was due to dust and cleaning will solve it. (the pads where fine, they said). It did help, but i am thinking that it was more due to the brakes being cooled off when being washed since when the car was taken for the next outstation ride the noise was back. the noise is more pronounced when i hit the brakes going down a steep slope..

since this comes only during the long runs and since the agents didnt seem too fussed about it, i tend to ignore the problem... any thoughts on what this could be? should i be worried??

thanks...

Hi, Are the pads used genuine? if the problem persists after a clean up better get the disc checked for any irregularites or unevenness on the surface (maynot be visible to the naked eye). if there's an issue the garage would probably have to polish it out.

I think this sometimes happens with brake pads (as it does with wiper blades). It just gets worn in a certain way causing some noise when brakes are applied. The materials used in brake pads are specifically engineered to reduce these type of noises but it does happen from time to time. Reasons could be, break disks warping slightly, slightly uneven wear due to fitment of brake pads, minor quality issues with brake pads etc. To be honest I won't be worried about it too much as long as the brake system is working properly and the pads are within acceptable levels of wear.

had a similar problem where my brake pads used to squeal loudly only when reversing. the pads were within the acceptable wear levels. got the calliper pins greased, cleaned the rotors etc. sound remained. figured that the pads probably had grooves embedded in them which were not visible to the naked eye. replaced the pads, checked the rotors, and the sound stopped.

i recently fixed a similar issue on my bike front disk.

it was the caliper pins getting locked up and not releasing the pads properly.

cleaned the entire syste, put in new cylinder o'rings, greased the pins and now all is well :)

Edited by Ripper
  • Like 1

thanks...

I think you also got the same problem which I got. I also noticed the noise when driving long runs initially but now I'm getting it all the time. I did changed brake pads, refaced the disks but no joy yet. I have taken the car to several persons & now I'm fedup with this. The noice is something like "karas.. karas.." & I'm getting it on the front right wheel only. The funny thing is some of the makabasses are telling that nothing seems to have gone wrong here apart from the noise & nothing seems broken. Believe me, I have taken the car to 4 local garages & also to the agents. What some of them did was cleaned the mechanism. But the problem is still there. I have already driven the car twice to N' Eliya & once to Galle with the noise.

Any expert or anybody had the same & overcame this, could you please share your experience? :blink:

I`ve got a similar issue. A slight noise appear from the front all the time when coming to a halt, not only on long drives. It`s a relatively new car, so I presume there`s nothing wrong with the caliper or the disk. Checked the pads my self and got agents to check as well, pads are not worn out either.

Thing is, the noise dissapear for a few days when I clean the break system (either by applying high pressure water to the wheel or using break system cleaner). So I just blame it on the break pad dust and other dirt and keep driving. :)

Are you having alloys with spokes where it exposes the disk and caliper? Mine does, and i believe it has a tendency to let more dirt (or tiny stone chips and stuff) in, which in turn might be causing the pads to squeak.

Why do busses make that noise anyway? Surely all of them can't be needing new brake pads?

Probably have something to do with poor build quality coupled with huge drums amplifying the noise/vibration. :D

Those use large drum shoes with liners, may have a tendency to vibrate more than a tiny pad on a car.

Why do busses make that noise anyway? Surely all of them can't be needing new brake pads?

Lots of heat through traffic running, lots of dust and lots or wear though long distance running coupled with a dry clutch system and air brakes

I`ve got a similar issue. A slight noise appear from the front all the time when coming to a halt, not only on long drives. It`s a relatively new car, so I presume there`s nothing wrong with the caliper or the disk. Checked the pads my self and got agents to check as well, pads are not worn out either.

Thing is, the noise dissapear for a few days when I clean the break system (either by applying high pressure water to the wheel or using break system cleaner). So I just blame it on the break pad dust and other dirt and keep driving. :)

Are you having alloys with spokes where it exposes the disk and caliper? Mine does, and i believe it has a tendency to let more dirt (or tiny stone chips and stuff) in, which in turn might be causing the pads to squeak.

Nope, I've got ordinary wheels with original wheel cups.

Well I would do what Ripper suggests as it's good preventative maintenance. I did exactly that and replaced the boots on the front brake pistons as well as they looked to be suffering the effects of age. You should also check if the disks themselves are warped, and also if there is uneven wear on the pads. Always get the best quality pads money can buy.

Break pads need to be seated on the discs and this is done initially when the pads are installed and happens over time as well. Sometimes they just don't get seated well and you get this noise initially and then it disappears after a while. I've had this problem on some of the cars I've owned with some of the pads, but in my case it always went away when the pads were changed. I never bothered changing pads before time, though I did get the brake system inspected when it happened.

It is annoying but often not a problem to worry about ! Just make sure the brake pad and shoe condition is inspected at every service, check brake oil levels at least once a month, and if you start hearing noises from the brakes while driving (indicating disk warp or brake binding) get to a mechanic straight away !

i too have the same problem since it is like one year now so far didn't have any major issue still running with the noise.dont worry u can drive with it with out a problem . my is a AT210 premio 97 :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply mate. :)

Well I would do what Ripper suggests as it's good preventative maintenance. I did exactly that and replaced the boots on the front brake pistons as well as they looked to be suffering the effects of age. You should also check if the disks themselves are warped, and also if there is uneven wear on the pads. Always get the best quality pads money can buy.

Break pads need to be seated on the discs and this is done initially when the pads are installed and happens over time as well. Sometimes they just don't get seated well and you get this noise initially and then it disappears after a while. I've had this problem on some of the cars I've owned with some of the pads, but in my case it always went away when the pads were changed. I never bothered changing pads before time, though I did get the brake system inspected when it happened.

It is annoying but often not a problem to worry about ! Just make sure the brake pad and shoe condition is inspected at every service, check brake oil levels at least once a month, and if you start hearing noises from the brakes while driving (indicating disk warp or brake binding) get to a mechanic straight away !

Many thanks for your responses everybody... :)

i too have the same problem since it is like one year now so far didn't have any major issue still running with the noise.dont worry u can drive with it with out a problem . my is a AT210 premio 97 :rolleyes:

Can you please let me know of what you already have done on tthis? :mellow: