• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Volvo

Schiffer

Hey guys.. I'm planing to buy a Volvo for around 1.0M-1.3M

does anyone know about its fuel consumption and weather spare parts are available??

Thanks--

"a Volvo" ?????

Didn't know that Volvo has made only one model ("a Volvo") for the last 74 years so you didn't need to include the model in your question.

And didn't know that they have never changed anything on "a Volvo" over the last 74 years so you didn't need to include the year of manufacture in your question either.

"a Volvo" ?????

Didn't know that Volvo has made only one model ("a Volvo") for the last 74 years so you didn't need to include the model in your question.

And didn't know that they have never changed anything on "a Volvo" over the last 74 years so you didn't need to include the year of manufacture in your question either.

ahhh how cute is this sarcasm. Nice of you to chime in. Are you going to help him with the info? I doubt it.

At the price range he mentioned, it's highly likely that he's talking about the S40. perhaps he should go for a volvo hybrid?

To answer OPs question: The fuel consumption on the S40 (if indeed it's what you are talking about) is slightly higher similar cars from other manufactures. As for spare parts, they are harder to find and more costly.

Only buy the volvo if you know what you are getting into. If you are a guy who cares about the price/scarcity of spares and fuel consumption, then go for a toyota, nissan, mtsubishi.

"a Volvo" ?????

WoW...sarcasm and insults...whatever happened to treating newbies equally and kindly yada yada yada eh?

Like JD said it's probably a S40...since you've been 'kind' enough to jump in and laugh at the poor fellow,now let's see how YOU Mr.fornikan help this guys out...and no more pictures and surveys from google please...

• Like 1

There are a number of versions of the S40. There is a particular version of it made in the Netherlands (and then exported to Europe) that actually have a lot of Mitsubishi parts which are commonly found in other Mitsubishi cars. This was made when there was technical collaboration between Mitsubishi and Volvo aided by the Netherlands government (though Volvo is Swedish the plant was based in the Netherlands).

Just another quirk to look out for :)

There are a number of versions of the S40. There is a particular version of it made in the Netherlands (and then exported to Europe) that actually have a lot of Mitsubishi parts which are commonly found in other Mitsubishi cars. This was made when there was technical collaboration between Mitsubishi and Volvo aided by the Netherlands government (though Volvo is Swedish the plant was based in the Netherlands).

Just another quirk to look out for :)

so the one with mitsubishi parts, was it ever imported here?

ahhh how cute is this sarcasm. Nice of you to chime in. Are you going to help him with the info? I doubt it.

At the price range he mentioned, it's highly likely that he's talking about the S40. perhaps he should go for a volvo hybrid?

WoW...sarcasm and insults...whatever happened to treating newbies equally and kindly yada yada yada eh?

Like JD said it's probably a S40...since you've been 'kind' enough to jump in and laugh at the poor fellow,now let's see how YOU Mr.fornikan help this guys out...and no more pictures and surveys from google please...

How hypocritical and utterly predictable. The 2 boys who point fingers and accuse others of being sarcastic are themselves highly sarcastic.

Hey guys.. I'm planing to buy a Volvo for around 1.0M-1.3M

does anyone know about its fuel consumption and weather spare parts are available??

Thanks--

I assume you are considering buying a late 90's petrol S40. I have used two 2.0ltr petrol S40s abroad (both manual). I used to get about 14Km/ltr city and long distance combined (but that's with very clean fuel and ideal road conditions). So in SL I assume a 2.0ltr petrol S40 should give you at least 10km/ltr (combined milage). The 1.8 might do a little bit better. There is a 1.6 variant as well but it's under powered. There is a 1.9D (Diesel - Turbo) version that does about 20Km/lrt even in local conditions. So if you can extend your budget to about 2.3M, it's a good buy.

As 'The Don' mentioned earlier, there are some S40s that have mitsubishi engines. Those are based on the Mitsubishi Charisma. However the engine cover says VOLVO in big letters, so it's not possible to spot one by popping the bonnet. The best way to differentiate a Volvo engine and gear box is that the reverse gear engages forwards (very close to the 1st gear, by pulling up a ring around the gear leaver). However there are S40s with Renault engines as well that have the reverse gear backwards just like the Mistubishi. If it's an automatic it's very difficult to spot the difference. Most (if not all) Volvos in SL are from the UK market because the EU is left hand drive.

Note: The Volvo petrol engines can properly burn only 95 Octain fuel. If you buy a car that has been running on 90 Octain, chances of the engine being under powered etc is high. These cars are mechanically quite hardy so most of the problems are suspension and steering etc (road condition related issues). Parts are a lot more expensive than Jap cars and sometimes the only option might be to buy it from the agents. If you are buying a manual, make sure it's got a new clutch, but automatic is highly recommended. The local Volvo agnets are Sweedish Trading Co. Their customer service is not the best. However, if you do end up buying a Volvo I can give you a contact at their service and repair centre (in Colombo) who can make a difference.

Edited by volvo4life
  • Like 2

"a Volvo" ?????

well smart arse..

1) i wasn't planing on an exact model

2) there arnt many models for that price range.. read and understand mate..

3) i asked this question becouse i dont know much about volvo.. if i were a pro i would have mention the model number..

hope you oot your answer mate...

well smart arse..

1) i wasn't planing on an exact model

2) there arnt many models for that price range.. read and understand mate..

3) i asked this question becouse i dont know much about volvo.. if i were a pro i would have mention the model number..

hope you oot your answer mate...

Thank you for clarifying that.

As 'The Don' mentioned earlier, there are some S40s that have mitsubishi engines. Those are based on the Mitsubishi Charisma. However the engine cover says VOLVO in big letters, so it's not possible to spot one by popping the bonnet. The best way to differentiate a Volvo engine and gear box is that the reverse gear engages forwards (very close to the 1st gear, by pulling up a ring around the gear leaver).

If it is a Mitsubishi Charisma engine, the engine codes should be 4G92 or 4G93. That should tell you the type of engine in the car.

@volvo4life - Isn't this a GDI engine?

If it is a Mitsubishi Charisma engine, the engine codes should be 4G92 or 4G93. That should tell you the type of engine in the car.

@volvo4life - Isn't this a GDI engine?

Yes it is an GDI engine. That is actually what gave the game away to me, and then on closer inspection I noticed a lot of parts carrying the MMC logo and realised it was a Mitsubishi Engine.

and yea i was planing to buy an 1999 S40 or an 1998 S70

Between the S40 and S70 I would recommend the S40 because the S70 would be a bit difficult to sell because of it's shape. I've driven almost every model of Volvo mid 90's onwards, and I can say the first generation S40 is quite fun to drive.

The 4G93 GDI is a 1.8ltr engine so if you go for a 2.0ltr S40 I think you'll be safe. However there is a 2.0ltr GDI engine also called 4G94 (which I've got in my current vehicle). I'm not sure whether these also come in the S40s.

@Don/Volvo4life, How are the GDI engines in Volvos (4G93/4G94) holding on to the petrol in Sri Lanka? Did u have trouble with the GDI pump in any of the cars?

The reason why I ask this question is in the past I came across a Proton which was built on the same platform as Mitsubishi Charisma/Volvo S40 and had a 4G93 engine. Decided not to go for it because of the GDI factor.

Between the S40 and S70 I would recommend the S40 because the S70 would be a bit difficult to sell because of it's shape. I've driven almost every model of Volvo mid 90's onwards, and I can say the first generation S40 is quite fun to drive.

The 4G93 GDI is a 1.8ltr engine so if you go for a 2.0ltr S40 I think you'll be safe. However there is a 2.0ltr GDI engine also called 4G94 (which I've got in my current vehicle). I'm not sure whether these also come in the S40s.

true.. the S70 do look like a box on wheels..

thanx mate..

@Don/Volvo4life, How are the GDI engines in Volvos (4G93/4G94) holding on to the petrol in Sri Lanka? Did u have trouble with the GDI pump in any of the cars?

The reason why I ask this question is in the past I came across a Proton which was built on the same platform as Mitsubishi Charisma/Volvo S40 and had a 4G93 engine. Decided not to go for it because of the GDI factor.

Crosswind, the 4G93 engine comes with a number of different fuel injection mechanisms including carburettor. The most common I've seen on this engine is the EFI-Multi (multi point fuel injection) system which is non GDI. So just because it is a 4G93, don't assume it will also have a GDI fuel injection system.

Incidentally the Peugeot HDI system in diesel vehicles is based on the Mitsubishi GDI system as they also have a technology sharing agreement, so the Mitsubishi DiD and the PSA HDI systems are very similar. PSA (Peugeot Citroen) I believe is the largest manufacturer of diesel cars in the world.

Crosswind, the 4G93 engine comes with a number of different fuel injection mechanisms including carburettor. The most common I've seen on this engine is the EFI-Multi (multi point fuel injection) system which is non GDI. So just because it is a 4G93, don't assume it will also have a GDI fuel injection system.

Just cross-checked Wikipedia. U r right. According to Wiki, the SOHC version is a MPFI engine and the DOHC non-turbo version is a GDI engine. Anyways, do u have any idea about how the GDI engines in Volvo cars are holding up in Sri Lanka?

Just cross-checked Wikipedia. U r right. According to Wiki, the SOHC version is a MPFI engine and the DOHC non-turbo version is a GDI engine. Anyways, do u have any idea about how the GDI engines in Volvo cars are holding up in Sri Lanka?

There is also a DOHC 4G93 which is non GDI (not sure if this is available in SL but the 4G93 engine is quite a common engine used in the Mitsubishi range). I'm not sure if all Volvos came with Mitsubishi engines. Some might have Ford engines.

GDI engines in general seem to be holding up reasonably well after the initial bad press and you see many on the streets. They have however not delivered on the promised fuel economy due to low quality fuel.