• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Is The Best Engine Oil For Axio

AXIO141

Hey guys, What is the best engine oil to put Toyota Axio. Is it Toyota genuine motor oil or others(Shell Helix ,Mobil)

Some people say shell & Mobil have flush & it helps to clean and protect the engine.

I believe, Toyota Motor Oil, 10W30, available at Laughs Lubricants outlets.

• Like 1

Hey guys, What is the best engine oil to put Toyota Axio. Is it Toyota genuine motor oil or others(Shell Helix ,Mobil)

Some people say shell & Mobil have flush & it helps to clean and protect the engine.

Mobil, Shell, Helix, Mobil, BP, Castrol are all good motor oils. I would have also recommended Caltex but a couple of years ago there was an issue with Caltex at the time where their oils used to cause more sludge than other brands, and the VVT-I engine is particularly sensitive to sludge. So unless somebody can confirm those issues are resolved, might be best to avoid that for the moment. Having said that I've used Havoline in the past without any issues.

All modern engine oils have various detergents mixed in so they all clean the engine.

Just stick to the manufacturer recommended grade, which I think is 10W30 and go with any good engine oil brand.

• Like 1

Try going for synthetic oil with a denso oil filter,

Dont have to change oil for a long time..

I personally think that the performance in our axio dropped after we switched to rock oil.

VVTi engines are sludge prone. The best thing is to stick to a good oil and change it frequently. Sometime back there was a thread on how fully synthetic oil + VVTi engines can cause sludge problems. I think the reason could be that people go for longer durations with synthetic oil. I use Toyota 10W30 & change it every 3000 km because I mostly drive around Colombo, and do short runs.

Edited by Az
  • Like 1

VVTi engines are sludge prone. The best thing is to stick to a good oil and change it frequently. Sometime back there was a thread on how fully synthetic oil + VVTi engines can cause sludge problems. I think the reason could be that people go for longer durations with synthetic oil. I use Toyota 10W30 & change it every 3000 km because I mostly drive around Colombo, and do short runs.

If we change oil every 3000km,is it necessary to buy oil filter from Toyota company?

We can buy Toyota Genuine filters from service stations,I think they are importing from Singapore. Is it good?

• Thanks 1

If we change oil every 3000km,is it necessary to buy oil filter from Toyota company?

We can buy Toyota Genuine filters from service stations,I think they are importing from Singapore. Is it good?

I used to change my oil filter every service (i.e. every 3000Km), but the place I service at told me that it is sufficient to change it every other service if you are using a good oil filter, so for the past couple of services I have been doing that. But it doesn't hurt to replace it every service if you can afford it. Toyota oil filter costs about 1000-1200 I think.

Edited by Az
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most new car engines come with some sort of vvti. Even Agents from euro cars also recommend changing oil at longer periods.

Most people change oil frequently due to the fact that service stations tell them so. But which service station owner wouldn't tell you to service more??

Btw, Az do you have a diesel car??

Most new car engines come with some sort of vvti. Even Agents from euro cars also recommend changing oil at longer periods.

Most people change oil frequently due to the fact that service stations tell them so. But which service station owner wouldn't tell you to service more??

Btw, Az do you have a diesel car??

However, Toyota VVTi engines are notorious for sludge problems, unlike other brands for some weird reason. Did you see a thread on AL recently about sludge problems in a Vios? My car is a petrol, and as a habit I have been sticking with mineral Toyota Oil, and changing it frequently, and I have been having a trouble free car for many years. After all, the oil does not cost much, only Rs. 2600.

However, Toyota VVTi engines are notorious for sludge problems, unlike other brands for some weird reason. Did you see a thread on AL recently about sludge problems in a Vios? My car is a petrol, and as a habit I have been sticking with mineral Toyota Oil, and changing it frequently, and I have been having a trouble free car for many years. After all, the oil does not cost much, only Rs. 2600.

Yes I guess. But wt about the inconvenience ?

In the US Toyota recommended Sicon Xb service intervals are 5000 miles or 6 months. The Sicon Xb has the 1.5l 1nz-fe engine which is arguably the most common Toyota engine in SL after 2001 and so.

But they recommend shorter periods if you are driving on heavy traffic or dusty conditions, which I think applies to most Sri Lankans.

I used to change my oil filter every service (i.e. every 3000Km), but the place I service at told me that it is sufficient to change it every other service if you are using a good oil filter, so for the past couple of services I have been doing that. But it doesn't hurt to replace it every service if you can afford it. Toyota oil filter costs about 1000-1200 I think.

Toyota genuine oil costs Rs 2,800/- & the filter 2,600/- I asked from Toyota Lanka, they said the filter can be used for 10,000Km

Toyota genuine oil costs Rs 2,800/- & the filter 2,600/- I asked from Toyota Lanka, they said the filter can be used for 10,000Km

Well again Toyota Lanka is talking bull. You can't actually warrant a filter for a certain mileage. This is because engine oil requires changing for two reasons. Pollution due to carbon, worn out metal residue and chemical break down. Chemical breakdown of oil can occur even if the car is stagnant and not running. So you can't really warrant a filter or oil for that matter for a certain number of kilometres.

I think in the Sri Lankan context if you are running the car daily, you should change the oil and filter every 3-5000 km or every six months for semi synthetic/mineral oil and 10,000km or a year for fully synthetic oil, whichever comes first. If you're not running the car it should be done at least every year irrespective of the kilometres run. These are rough guidelines I follow. Call me a bit over the top, but I've never had anything I bought last as long as the manufacturer promised in SL (tyres, belts etc).

• Like 2

Well again Toyota Lanka is talking bull. You can't actually warrant a filter for a certain mileage. This is because engine oil requires changing for two reasons. Pollution due to carbon, worn out metal residue and chemical break down. Chemical breakdown of oil can occur even if the car is stagnant and not running. So you can't really warrant a filter or oil for that matter for a certain number of kilometres.

I think in the Sri Lankan context if you are running the car daily, you should change the oil and filter every 3-5000 km or every six months for semi synthetic/mineral oil and 10,000km or a year for fully synthetic oil, whichever comes first. If you're not running the car it should be done at least every year irrespective of the kilometres run. These are rough guidelines I follow. Call me a bit over the top, but I've never had anything I bought last as long as the manufacturer promised in SL (tyres, belts etc).

that's right Don. I think it is better to change engine oil every 3 months. I'm telling that because, in SL, most of car owners doesn't wash the car under body for months. The only time they wash it is when changing oil.

When talking about oil filters, there are very good Japanese origin filters out there in the market. "V!C" is only one from a list. I trust this brand. For a low priced filter I recommend S@kur@.

Edited by Dinuk
  • Thanks 1

that's right Don. I think it is better to change engine oil every 3 months. I'm telling that because, in SL, most of car owners doesn't wash the car under body for months. The only time they wash it is when changing oil.

When talking about oil filters, there are very good Japanese origin filters out there in the market. "V!C" is only one from a list. I trust this brand. For a low priced filter I recommend S@kur@.

Dinuk, Sakura isn't Japanese as far as I know. Also it's debatable whether washing the under body is a good idea. Because in some cases the hardened dirt layers actually form a protective barrier and sometimes the high pressure hoses used can further damaged exposed areas. But that might be a discussion for another day as this is widely done in SL.

Chemical breakdown of oil can occur even if the car is stagnant and not running.

I'm confused - what causes this? the only one I can think of is oxidation (can't be thermal breakdown) - but that should mean oil in a half empty can should also oxidize, but perhaps to a lesser degree since there's only so much oxygen in the can? If you left some oil in an open container (but away from dust and water) would it oxidize?

Maybe people who have the luxury of cars that are used rarely can share their experiences?

I think in the Sri Lankan context if you are running the car daily, you should change the oil and filter every 3-5000 km or every six months for semi synthetic/mineral oil and 10,000km or a year for fully synthetic oil, whichever comes first. If you're not running the car it should be done at least every year irrespective of the kilometres run.

There are reasons to agree with the above recommendation regardless of whether oil in an unused engine degrades (e.g. such low mileage could mean several short trips => more oil degradation than mileage would suggest => better to change before mileage is up (i.e. time based because it's simple). But I wonder if the degradation of unused oil is a "reverse-engineering" of this situation

I think it is better to change engine oil every 3 months. I'm telling that because, in SL, most of car owners doesn't wash the car under body for months. The only time they wash it is when changing oil.

whatever the merits/demerits of underbody washing; how does it impact the lifetime of the oil? if there's a path for that muck to get into the oil, wouldn't it also mean your oil had a path to leak out?

This is a kind of useful info Don. I don't have a great knowledge on this. Could you please explain what are those synthetic/semi synthetic thing. Also can you please explain on how to identify them. I know mentionning brand names is not fair, but at least a clue on them. I have a car which doesn't do any daily running. But some times, I drive it to N Eliya, Trinco or down south(Galle/Matara/Beliatta). May be once a year to all of those places. :) It's great that you could advise how to select oil & filter & also how often a service needed. Bit confused now. :blink:

I'm confused - what causes this? the only one I can think of is oxidation (can't be thermal breakdown) - but that should mean oil in a half empty can should also oxidize, but perhaps to a lesser degree since there's only so much oxygen in the can? If you left some oil in an open container (but away from dust and water) would it oxidize?

Maybe people who have the luxury of cars that are used rarely can share their experiences?

There are reasons to agree with the above recommendation regardless of whether oil in an unused engine degrades (e.g. such low mileage could mean several short trips => more oil degradation than mileage would suggest => better to change before mileage is up (i.e. time based because it's simple). But I wonder if the degradation of unused oil is a "reverse-engineering" of this situation

whatever the merits/demerits of underbody washing; how does it impact the lifetime of the oil? if there's a path for that muck to get into the oil, wouldn't it also mean your oil had a path to leak out?

Hi Sifaan,

Well I guess the key thing to remember is there is a difference between oil which is constantly warmed up and flowing through the system and oil that is stagnant (and warmed up due to the ambient temperature of our country). Chemical break down of oils happen over time anyway and somebody who is better at chemistry can explain it better. But oil is a mixture of various petro chemicals and additives (added in to boost its friction reducing qualities, slow down chemical break down and introduce detergent qualities). Over time these separate compounds interact with each other and transform to other compounds (remember the good old "prathikriya in O/L science) and this alters the quality of the oil because it's not quite the same substance any more. The most visible product of this process is sludge.

I think on vehicles which do not run a lot it is actually better to use mineral oil or semi synthetic oil (mineral oil enhanced with detergents) as it is a waste of money to use synthetics particularly as you need to change the oil whether you've run the car or not ! Plus like Mani mentioned sometimes flushing engines cause more problems by sludge being loosened up and blocking important arteries in the engine.

Underbody washing is not related to oil at all. I was just pointing out there is a debate as to whether it should be done at all.

• Like 1

This is a kind of useful info Don. I don't have a great knowledge on this. Could you please explain what are those synthetic/semi synthetic thing. Also can you please explain on how to identify them. I know mentionning brand names is not fair, but at least a clue on them. I have a car which doesn't do any daily running. But some times, I drive it to N Eliya, Trinco or down south(Galle/Matara/Beliatta). May be once a year to all of those places. :) It's great that you could advise how to select oil & filter & also how often a service needed. Bit confused now. :blink:

Well I have a similar car, and based on the recommendation of some other forum owners, I switched to a semi synthetic oil from running fully synthetic before. A fully synthetic oil is a chemically engineered engine oil. Semi synthetic is mineral oil enhanced with chemical detergents and then you also get standard mineral oil (like Lanka Super).

I used synthetic oil to begin with because my engine has slightly higher compression ratio than a normal engine, and I used to change gear at fairly high RPM (key word being used to :)). Synthetic oils can operate well in higher temperatures, flow faster and clean engines better. But all this cleaning has a side effect which is all the bit's its cleaned up mixes up with the oil. If the car then remains stagnant for a while, the deposits settle and come together. When the engine is fired up again it might actually end of blocking oil lines which would be a big problem ! So in cars which do not get used a lot, mineral oil or semi synthetic oil is preferred to fully synthetic oil.

You can identify which type of oil it is simply by packaging. The oil I use is Mobil Super XHP which I think is now called Mobil Super Plus or something like that. But there are many good brands in the market.

Well I have a similar car, and based on the recommendation of some other forum owners, I switched to a semi synthetic oil..............

Is it ok for the engine if you switch from a fully synthetic to a semi synthetic and vice versa?

Well I have a similar car, and based on the recommendation of some other forum owners, I switched to a semi synthetic oil from running fully synthetic before. A fully synthetic oil is a chemically engineered engine oil. Semi synthetic is mineral oil enhanced with chemical detergents and then you also get standard mineral oil (like Lanka Super).

I used synthetic oil to begin with because my engine has slightly higher compression ratio than a normal engine, and I used to change gear at fairly high RPM (key word being used to :)). Synthetic oils can operate well in higher temperatures, flow faster and clean engines better. But all this cleaning has a side effect which is all the bit's its cleaned up mixes up with the oil. If the car then remains stagnant for a while, the deposits settle and come together. When the engine is fired up again it might actually end of blocking oil lines which would be a big problem ! So in cars which do not get used a lot, mineral oil or semi synthetic oil is preferred to fully synthetic oil.

You can identify which type of oil it is simply by packaging. The oil I use is Mobil Super XHP which I think is now called Mobil Super Plus or something like that. But there are many good brands in the market.

Many thanks Don :) . Got a better idea. Cheers.

• 10 years later...
20 hours ago, nalin champika said:

What is the recommended engine oil for the axio hybrid car 2014 model?

Running 213000km

depends on the condition of yourcar..how is the compression ? How is yourcooling system ? If the engine is in really good shape with no loss in compression at all..then you could probably use the standard 0W-20 you have been using...but at a higher mileage it is probably more practical for you to use a heavier oil like a 30 (at the very least) or a 40. Lets not forget, at 213,000km your cooling system is not as efficient as it used to be...so you need an oil that will hold up and absorb heat better.