• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Welll... this is a tough one (at least for me) - Austin 12? 

OR... a Morris 10 

Wrong Couldn't have been that simple  - I did a bit of homework. It's this car right? 

Hand-painted Pipe  made by Pipe Bros. of Belgium in 1913. Imported new by the ObeysekeraDeraniyagala family in 1913 & was with them for 99 years. The car is now carefully conserved in Colombo.

Obscure Obscure car of Belgian origin - something you can smoke 😉 imported in 1913 (as per the article i found) 

Edited by matroska

On 5/30/2023 at 9:28 AM, matroska said:

Wrong Couldn't have been that simple  - I did a bit of homework. It's this car right? 

Hand-painted Pipe  made by Pipe Bros. of Belgium in 1913. Imported new by the ObeysekeraDeraniyagala family in 1913 & was with them for 99 years. The car is now carefully conserved in Colombo.

Obscure Obscure car of Belgian origin - something you can smoke 😉 imported in 1913 (as per the article i found) 

Maybe you are right, think the picture that @Devinda_Z has posted is at @milindu office as it seems very familiar. A few things I find going against your answer would be the longer bonnet and the twin split windshield which is not very clear in the picture you posted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Maybe you are right, think the picture that @Devinda_Z has posted is at @milindu office as it seems very familiar. A few things I find going against your answer would be the longer bonnet and the twin split windshield which is not very clear in the picture you posted.

Yeah could be - I found this on a post in motoring in British Ceylon in  Michael Robert's blog the overall look of the car and the fact that Devinda_Z would post something obscure made me think this was it - I'm sticking to  my answer. 

@Devinda_Z where art thou? 

BTW out of curiosity what's the office you mentioned  here?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matroska said:

Yeah could be - I found this on a post in motoring in British Ceylon in  Michael Robert's blog the overall look of the car and the fact that Devinda_Z would post something obscure made me think this was it - I'm sticking to  my answer. 

@Devinda_Z where art thou? 

BTW out of curiosity what's the office you mentioned  here?  

One of the top car rental places in Colombo who has a fleet of old cars for wedding hires.

On 5/31/2023 at 12:58 PM, Gummybr said:

On 5/30/2023 at 9:28 AM, matroska said:

@matroska your 3rd guess is correct!

It is The Pipe !

Sorry for the delay @Gummybr

341601793_1478671819601111_1999194683938864756_n.jpg

Thanks Z. 

Ok then - from obscure to common. 

Identify the Japanese car that is about to be hit by the Ford Crown Victoria, apparently driven by a now 38 year old Canadian Singer. 

image.png

On 6/7/2023 at 2:37 PM, Gummybr said:

Never knew any of these were present in Sri Lanka until now.

Triv12.jpg

This is a good one! A really good one. I was at the point of giving up when I remembered a recent advert on facebook and then it hit me! 

According to some this 1300 cc car was the predecessor of what would become very popular cars by the eponymous company. 

Edit : Did not know this was air-cooled though that's news indeed! 

Edited by matroska

1 hour ago, matroska said:

This is a good one! A really good one. I was at the point of giving up when I remembered a recent advert on facebook and then it hit me! 

According to some this 1300 cc car was the predecessor of what would become very popular cars by the eponymous company. 

Edit : Did not know this was air-cooled though that's news indeed! 

So like me you were also interested in this car when those pictures popped up. Yes it is the Honda 1300. A nice project car if someone has the time, money and contacts. But honestly that car will take a lot of money to get into the original condition.

Triv.jpg

11 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

So like me you were also interested in this car when those pictures popped up. Yes it is the Honda 1300. A nice project car if someone has the time, money and contacts. But honestly that car will take a lot of money to get into the original condition.

Triv.jpg

Yes- it definitely piqued my interest - given that it's a FWD car, technically there would be an array of good options to do an engine swap as well in case of a restomod , but will take a LOT of work :( 

49 minutes ago, matroska said:

Ok here's the next one - a tribute to the Sri Lankan Frankenstein. For a change I'm not hiding anything apart from the number plate.

image.png.0064957bb066141adfacdea4bf9d5546.png

image.thumb.png.4c925e460ac0d9d65eb4c8e5ae8cc994.png

Oh My! Reminds me of those early Chinese copy cat cars and of similar models which were made in Iran / Iraq / Pakistan / Former Soviet countries etc. 

I like how the Sunny rear lights have been integrated and the front with a mixture of Sunny and Corona.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Looks like it is a 2nd generation Honda Accord

Bingo! Correct it is a 1983 Accord. I had the luxury of a close inspection and once home ran the registration number against the DMT website. It's also had an engine swap (no points for guessing the engine - the most preferred engine to swap on anything back in the day) 

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

I like how the Sunny rear lights have been integrated and the front with a mixture of Sunny and Corona.

Yeah a heavily sunnified car - understandable given that the B14 is very common and lights/grille etc can be found at any spare parts shop. 

5 hours ago, iRage said:

I am inclined to say that this is a 2nd Gen (A2 ?) VW Jetta (or whatever name it was called in the SL market).

Correct again! It is indeed the Jetta - several of them are around - most of them in the most basic trim with 1.3L engines that were imported b/new for government departments like petroleum corporation. There was a minter for sale recently on the classifieds. Same color as the car in this picture.