• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Quick Trivia 3

Watchman

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

You can become a medalist.... Floor is yours sir.

Nissan Laurel it is, I love this design

29549_168.jpg

29549_160.jpg

I can still remember in 2001 when I was in grade 6, me and my father went for car hunting. There was an unregistered  Sunny FB15 at a car sale. Beside that was this nice Laurel of this same colour in the photos. Somehow I badly wanted to buy Laurel over the Sunny, but my father strongly disagreed. We ended up buying the Sunny.

2 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

I can still remember in 2001 when I was in grade 6, me and my father went for car hunting. There was an unregistered  Sunny FB15 at a car sale. Beside that was this nice Laurel of this same colour in the photos. Somehow I badly wanted to buy Laurel over the Sunny, but my father strongly disagreed. We ended up buying the Sunny.

Your father (bless him) being the sensible man went for the boring more fuel efficient common vehicle rather than the sporty and thirsty car which would have burned a big hole in his pocket when he had you to look after 😁.

I am also a sucker for these barges, they look nice.

1 hour ago, Gummybr said:

Your father (bless him) being the sensible man went for the boring more fuel efficient common vehicle rather than the sporty and thirsty car which would have burned a big hole in his pocket when he had you to look after 😁.

I am also a sucker for these barges, they look nice.

That's true about him. Now I understand why he did such things. Even in 2011 when we wanted an upgrade from the FB15, I wanted a Toyota Mark X, but he went with an Axio 141.🙂

When I upgraded from the axio to CHR in 2018 he was no longer among us. :sad-smiley-050:

But if he was there, he would definitely ask me to go with a Premio or an Axio hybrid.

A little OT - but the previous generation (our parents) didn't quite have the rosy life. Their youth and mid life was spent surviving multiple insurgencies, civil war's, bombs, riots, economic hardships, queues for absolutely everything (not just fuel)  all the while saving up and making the most out of meager allowances. What they have managed to do with a meager monthly paycheck including building homes, buying land, saving up for our education was phenomenal and probably had to include making some compromises along the way. For instance my dad an avid VW fan waited till I was married to buy a beetle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matroska said:

ok then here's the next one 

image.png.7cafdc61d9eb5af71b9eb6e368b2c479.png

Chevrolet Tavera? I’ve only seen the one made for the Indian market, just found out that the original version by Isuzu goes by the name of a big cat. 

7 minutes ago, Duan27 said:

Chevrolet Tavera? I’ve only seen the one made for the Indian market, just found out that the original version by Isuzu goes by the name of a big cat. 

Its the second gen of the Isuzu Panther, I think they were mostly made in Indonesia side along with the other makes that had similar offerings (ie Toyota Kijang). 

1 hour ago, Duan27 said:

Chevrolet Tavera?

...is the correct answer! I would have accepted the big-cat too. 

Vehicular equivalent of Sashimi wedged in a burger bun along with a slice of cheese topped with some chutney. 

Over to you. 

Edited by matroska

5 hours ago, matroska said:

Vehicular equivalent of Sashimi wedged in a burger bun along with a slice of cheese topped with some chutney.

That’s as accurate as analogies get xD

IMG_9832.thumb.jpeg.cbd3fc4655bf34b9bb296361c1afa4ce.jpeg

Here you go!

8 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Ok then here goes,

Triv01.jpg

BMW X6? Bimmers used to have pretty iconic lights after all, just wasn’t sure whether it was the X4 or X6 at first

Edit: I actually have an R/C X6 (1:16 scale iirc) that I received as a b’day gift from my mum almost a decade ago. Now that I think about it, the tail lights don’t really replicate the actual design too well, but otherwise it’s pretty accurate for what it is. It’s far from pristine condition 😅, but the post just reminded me of it, so I decided to go retrieve it from its grave xDIMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.606efc14b7bfd7589fe4bc28a1d3c258.jpeg

Edited by Duan27

13 hours ago, Duan27 said:

BMW X6? Bimmers used to have pretty iconic lights after all, just wasn’t sure whether it was the X4 or X6 at first

Edit: I actually have an R/C X6 (1:16 scale iirc) that I received as a b’day gift from my mum almost a decade ago. Now that I think about it, the tail lights don’t really replicate the actual design too well, but otherwise it’s pretty accurate for what it is. It’s far from pristine condition 😅, but the post just reminded me of it, so I decided to go retrieve it from its grave xDIMG_9839.thumb.jpeg.606efc14b7bfd7589fe4bc28a1d3c258.jpeg

Yes it is the gen 1 BMW X6. Floor is yours, I was waiting for someone to come up with a car, but you nailed it.

2008-2012_BMW_X6_(E71)_xDrive35d_wagon_(2018-09-03)_02.jpg

5 hours ago, matroska said:

I remember this came up recently in the trivia. The first book of the bible beckons! 

You’re right, I did double check but thought it’d be fine since 4 years had passed since then 😅 I can give another one if that isn’t the case.

If not, yep you’re right! Please do take the floor (I’m sure you know the model number so you can mention it as well ig)

IMG_9947.jpeg

Edited by Duan27
Added pic

On 6/14/2024 at 9:18 PM, Duan27 said:

You’re right, I did double check but thought it’d be fine since 4 years had passed since then 😅 I can give another one if that isn’t the case.

Nope it's all good :)

this is the G80. 

Here' we go with the next one - pretty easy so I'm expecting the exact model. 

image.png.65f4cbdec22fa0e4e390e40632101ab4.png

4 hours ago, matroska said:

pretty easy so I'm expecting the exact model. 

Actually you might not realise that it is not as easy as you think it is.

The same Carina van front end was offered on two different Corona sedans which were taxi models made for export markets. The first was a standard Corona body with the exact front-end of a Carina van (not even a Corona van but a Carina van). Then there was a narrower and shorter body Corona sedan again...with the Carina van front-end. The latter was sold locally by the agents (this was a time when the dealership transitioned from Freudenberg to Toy#ta L#nka and was offered by both).

3 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Did you know that there is a KA67V wagon picture on wikipedia that is from Sri Lanka?

Yupp...found it to be quite funny :) Honestly, these vans are under-rated. They have been hardy and more capable than the KE72/74 and even the EE96s. Just that Sri Lankans shunned it because of their fear of large-capacity engines.

6 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Did you know that there is a KA67V wagon picture on wikipedia that is from Sri Lanka

You are absolutely correct. And yes  I have seen that picture. 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually you might not realise that it is not as easy as you think it is.

The same Carina van front end was offered on two different Corona sedans which were taxi models made for export markets.

Now now...can't make it too easy with you two fine gentlemen around can I  ? I beleive this is what you have mentioned. Yet to see a Sedan variant in SL. 

image.png.57aedf0f0e76b1b4f5ee4abc15e5b86c.png

3 hours ago, iRage said:

The latter was sold locally by the agents (this was a time when the dealership transitioned from Freudenberg to Toy#ta L#nka and was offered by both).

when exactly did the transition happen? My dad says Freudenberg were the agents till the early 90's but doesn't remember till when. 

3 hours ago, iRage said:

They have been hardy and more capable than the KE72/74 and even the EE96s. Just that Sri Lankans shunned it because of their fear of large-capacity engines.

Probably due to the shunning - they ended up as hearses for the lower-end-of-the-spectrum funeral parlors. 

My uncle used to have the Corona Van of the same vintage. 

I think the Corona's went As KT147V and the Carina's as KA67V.

That thing was bigger, and felt a lot more solid than the KE72s of the same age. My uncles car was with him for around 12- years from the late 90's to circa 2010. If I'm not mistaken it had a 5K engine. Well kept car - sadly it was bought by someone who modified it to an extent it started looking like a cheap plastic toy car. 

image.png.dbef781cc336490e41305bdeab06263e.png

image.png.1c4ee9f7eb7512d58c59f1863e795d53.png

Over to you Gummy! 

Edited by matroska
lot of typos :-

1 hour ago, matroska said:

when exactly did the transition happen? My dad says Freudenberg were the agents till the early 90's but doesn't remember till when. 

I believe they started operation around 1994/1995. A few years before that, there was a period of transition where they opened the Wattala (?) showroom, and Freudenberg was operating out of that as well. My uncle worked for Freudenberg and the day of the opening ceremony of the showroom he crashed my dad's Morris Marina right in front of the place :)

I beleive this is what you have mentioned. Yet to see a Sedan variant in SL. 

image.png.57aedf0f0e76b1b4f5ee4abc15e5b86c.png

Yes...that is the one. There were a few ice blue ones and a silver one running around. It was very basic inside and out :) Can you believe that Toyota made that thing till like 1998 or 1999? It was replaced by the Crown Comfort.

I think the Corona's went As KT147V and the Carina's as KA67V.

Yes...the Corona vans went as T147 (as it was the T140 series Corona) and the Carina A67 (as it was the A60 series Carina).

KT147 and KA67 were the 1.5L 5K engined variants, CT147 and CA67 the 1C engined variants and TT147 and TA67 the 1.6L 12T engined variants. Yes, they were much more grounded cars than the KE72/74

5 minutes ago, iRage said:

My uncle worked for Freudenberg and the day of the opening ceremony of the showroom he crashed my dad's Morris Marina right in front of the place

That sounds like an auspicious start :D 

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

Can you believe that Toyota made that thing till like 1998 or 1999?

Wow! That I was not aware of. Reminds me of the B13 Nissan Tsuru that was made in Mexico till 2017. Some models do stand the tests of time at least for third-world/emerging markets. 

18 minutes ago, matroska said:

Wow! That I was not aware of. Reminds me of the B13 Nissan Tsuru that was made in Mexico till 2017. Some models do stand the tests of time at least for third-world/emerging markets. 

The Carina was offered as a Taxi version till 1998, hence the reason why you see a few 65- Carina of that model around in Sri Lanka. (I have seen a few Blues and some whites).

On the Toyota and Freudenberg: when the Toyota started their operations in Sri Lanka they acquired all the staff from Freudenberg, they had used to work from Dematagoda place until the TL building was completed and the workshop was moved to new premises. My aftesales head had been there during that time and he related the story how strict the Japs were when moving stuff and working according to the plan. He talked about how he had to give a moving plan and how it was rejected after looking at the efficiency. Also shows how in depth knowledge the Japs had when they asked him to plan the after sales floor for reception again the bug guy had said wrong and had pointed out how the power lines and communication lines would be blocked if they went with the plan.

So many stories I think we should have a separate thread to talk about the history of the dealerships in Sri Lanka