• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Conversion Questions

jdnet

Question

Hey guys,

After looking at the prices of engines and the taxes I have come to the conclusion that pulling out the petrol engine out of my tribute and sticking in a diesel. Basically I'm looking at a 3C turbo and leaving the same auto transmission, it will be modified to fit though. I was just wondering if there's anyone here who has converted into diesel and I would like your opinion on the convert in terms of overall performance and problems.

BTW I know this will put a dent into the resale values and all but I'm not worried at this point.

jdnet,

i think the engine price is reasonable being toyota engines high demand specially as many noah petrol vehicle owners convert their vans with this engine to diesel. I will have to tell you the gear box is always best to go with that engine gear box. May be ur mechanic has more knowlege on this matter than me but as harshan senadhir stated before was correct. bec diesel and petrol engines gear boxes have different ratios .see only in the noha and dolphin van to my knowledge so far where the gear box is identical in in both petrol and diesel variants, or in some cases where the manufacture has made the same model of vehicle in both variants. My advice for u is go with the Toyota 3c gear box and u couple the 4wd unit(trasfercase) of the tribute to this. i did that with my montero sport due to the pajero gear box not having the 4wd super select system and it worked fine.

Am not a expert on this i am just giving my opinion your mechanic knows his job but just asking him want create a issue. all the best and let us know when you complete your jeep.

• Like 1

anyways guys, I found a 3c turbo today for 250k is it a good rate these days?

So put that whatever to your tribute and stop this "Stupid" Thread. (Sorry, i'm just using ur own words which you frequently use in other threads....)

Any way, guess you can understand the simple thing below.

you are goint to spend ~300K for the conversion

Loss from second hand market ~150K

All together, cost is 450K.

that is 3750 lts of petrol which means additional 37500 KMs.

If you put the diesel engine today and run for 37500 KMs, you recover 150K.

To recover 450K, you need to run 37500 x 3 = 112500KM.

You take the benifit only after 112500th KM.

Anyway, I can guess what your IMPOLITE answer for this also.

So put that whatever to your tribute and stop this "Stupid" Thread. (Sorry, i'm just using ur own words which you frequently use in other threads....)

Any way, guess you can understand the simple thing below.

you are goint to spend ~300K for the conversion

Loss from second hand market ~150K

All together, cost is 450K.

that is 3750 lts of petrol which means additional 37500 KMs.

If you put the diesel engine today and run for 37500 KMs, you recover 150K.

To recover 450K, you need to run 37500 x 3 = 112500KM.

You take the benifit only after 112500th KM.

Anyway, I can guess what your IMPOLITE answer for this also.

Wows, these retards just keep crawling out of the woodwork. Hey dumbass, did I ask anyone here for calculations on the costs and when I can start recouping them? I have my reasons for converting it to diesel and the fuel consumption is not the main reason. Also I did mention about the fact aht I am not worried about the loss in value of the vehicle. Now stop bieng a dyslexic faggo* and go back to the mental asylum you came from.

You are giving him nightmares dude..The 6G74 GDI to 3.2 4M41 direct injection is a very simple and a straight forward swap.tongue.gif

MINIACE

Mini, i doubt if this guy has any idea what he's talking about. I know a guy who swapped a 4M40 for a 6G74. But that too was an older version of the 4M40 with a top mount intercooler, which they had trouble shutting the hood afterwards. Last i heard a 4M41 + gearbox were well over a million bucks.

Back in the topic, I am yet to see a diesel tribute in the market. Could this be one of a kind? The only thing id be worried about is the legal side of the story. May be some info on the "325-" thread that was going on sometime back would be helpful I guess.

Wows, these retards just keep crawling out of the woodwork. Hey dumbass, did I ask anyone here for calculations on the costs and when I can start recouping them? I have my reasons for converting it to diesel and the fuel consumption is not the main reason. Also I did mention about the fact aht I am not worried about the loss in value of the vehicle. Now stop bieng a dyslexic faggo* and go back to the mental asylum you came from.

Sligtly deviated, but almost expected answer..

But i'm sure that you do the calculation with piece of paper in ur next free time. :action-smiley-025:

If you need help, just come back.will help. I guess definitely you need some others help to do this. :lam:

Sligtly deviated, but almost expected answer..

But i'm sure that you do the calculation with piece of paper in ur next free time. :action-smiley-025:

If you need help, just come back.will help. I guess definitely you need some others help to do this. :lam:

alright now go piss off and ask people what color your next vehicle should be.

Back in the topic, I am yet to see a diesel tribute in the market. Could this be one of a kind? The only thing id be worried about is the legal side of the story. May be some info on the "325-" thread that was going on sometime back would be helpful I guess.

Actually Devaka there are a few diesel converts running around. I know of two. One I saw for myself at a car sale on stanley tilakaratne road last year and another was advertised for sale on the paper a few months ago. The one on the paper was with a 3c and the one at the car sale, I can't remember. All I know is it didn't sound that bad when idling.

Had a look at the thread about the 325-. I will be paying the tax anyway so I don't think there should be any legal issues. The only problem is that I've been getting conflicting reports on the how much they charge.

Edited by jdnet

alright now go piss off and ask people what color your next vehicle should be.

Hey, cool down ego MAN... don't be confused. I haven't ask any thing about a color.

BTW shall we consider to convert your damn TRIBUTE to a Hybrid one. Every one will talk about it.

Had a look at the thread about the 325-. I will be paying the tax anyway so I don't think there should be any legal issues. The only problem is that I've been getting conflicting reports on the how much they charge.

Its 250k if I remember right. (used to be 35k till last year or the year before)

The idea is to discourage people bringing lesser taxed petrol vehicles and converting them locally. I guess the government wants a cut out of you no matter how you end up driving a diesel vehicle.

Its 250k if I remember right. (used to be 35k till last year or the year before)

The idea is to discourage people bringing lesser taxed petrol vehicles and converting them locally. I guess the government wants a cut out of you no matter how you end up driving a diesel vehicle.

And rightfully so since diesel is subsidized AFAIK. Eitherway as long as I keep the total cost of the vehicle below 3 million (after the convert) I'm good. Although the guy who did the convert did mention that last week he paid the whole tax thing and t came to 35k either there's some confusion here or there's some "less than legal" thing going on here.

Any idea how does RMV calculates the conversion charge? since I haven't got it registered yet and what are the required documents.

for vehicles first registered within last 04 years, they charge about 250k and for rest, it's the same old amount. Not confirmed by RMV officials though, as I heard from people who went through the process. Can someone further confirm this?

Slightly OT, saw a Kia Sportage with a RMV type plate which had a 19- with the letter ‘D’ in a fuel station and to my surprise dude pumped Diesel to it. Is it legal or the guy has not done the proper paper work with RMV after the conversion? :blink:

Slightly OT, saw a Kia Sportage with a RMV type plate which had a 19- with the letter ‘D’ in a fuel station and to my surprise dude pumped Diesel to it. Is it legal or the guy has not done the proper paper work with RMV after the conversion? :blink:

Not legal. Probably hasn't done the paperwork and just decided to get a new plate with "D" in it.

for vehicles first registered within last 04 years, they charge about 250k and for rest, it's the same old amount. Not confirmed by RMV officials though, as I heard from people who went through the process. Can someone further confirm this?

that actually might explain why the mechanic said it would cost 35k.

might be a legal plate as RMV stopped issuing 325 - for sometimes now, instead they issue the Petrol number with D.

• Like 1

The legal RMV charge is Rs.38000/= for registration . just keep Rs.55000/= for everything bec you have to make the guys inside happy lol :) better you get hold of a person in the RMV other wise you will waste a lot of time and get rastiyadu fied. :) according to the new system they will print diesel converted on your book and issue new number plates with the letter D printed under the plate. for older vehicles with 301 series numbers just the mention on the book and that about it. If you like to confirm just call Over the Rmv they will guide you.

the documents needed are:-

1.Original book

2.original v.i.c

3.identity card copy of registered owner.

4.original license

5.original insurance

6.02x colour photographs

7.all luxury tax receipts

Remember if you have a lease on yor vehicle you have to get written permission form the leasing company but am not sure if it would be allowed and am not too sure about it.

Simplelife Dont know whether its me, you saw at the petrol station :rolleyes: . According to RMV we will have to go with the existing plate with the letter D.

It was a green Sportage I saw... :)

Didnt know the procedure has been changed mate.. thanks for the update :alc:

Edited by Simplelife