• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota - 1Nz-Fe - Delayed Start

Chulanga

Question

Dear Experts,

I'm a victim of using contaminated petrol. :angry-smiley-024: Experienced engine missing at 1000RPM and later on, cleaned injectors using BG Injector cleaner. Thereafter engine missing issue was resolved. But I started experiencing engine delayed start.

Vehicle: Toyota IST - 2008 - 1NZ-FE 1.5L engine

Description:

When starting the engine, starter motor kicks in about 2 seconds to start the engine. When you turn off the engine and starts the engine within 2 - 3 minutes, it starts instantly. But when you keep it for around 5 - 10 minutes, previously explained delayed starts occurs.

What I did so far:

I took my vehicle to Toyota and they checked the fuel line pressure and said there is a pressure drop. So they advised me to replace the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump unit. Still I'm experiencing the same delayed start issue. Toyota Lanka technicians are unable to find a solution for this. When they plug their computer terminal to the vehicle OBD2 port, error is reported as "Vehicle Starting Issue".

There were few other customers were there experiencing the same issue. I got one of their contact numbers and they also told me the same thing. There is no improvement even after taking it to Toyota. :blink:

Note: I cleaned my injectors manually, Cleaned throttle body, there are no vibrations, engine is running at optimum efficiency.

I really appreciate if somebody can at least give me a clue for the delayed starting issue. :unsure:

25 answers to this question

Dear Experts,

I'm a victim of using contaminated petrol. :angry-smiley-024: Experienced engine missing at 1000RPM and later on, cleaned injectors using BG Injector cleaner. Thereafter engine missing issue was resolved. But I started experiencing engine delayed start.

Description:

When starting the engine, starter motor kicks in about 2 seconds to start the engine. When you turn off the engine and starts the engine within 2 - 3 minutes, it starts instantly. But when you keep it for around 5 - 10 minutes, previously explained delayed starts occurs.

What I did so far:

I took my vehicle to Toyota and they checked the fuel line pressure and said there is a pressure drop. So they advised me to replace the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump unit. Still I'm experiencing the same delayed start issue. Toyota Lanka technicians are unable to find a solution for this. When they plug their computer terminal to the vehicle OBD2 port, error is reported as "Vehicle Starting Issue".

There were few other customers were there experiencing the same issue. I got one of their contact numbers and they also told me the same thing. There is no improvement even after taking it to Toyota.

Note: I cleaned my injectors manually, Cleaned throttle body, there are no vibrations, engine is running at optimum efficiency.

I really appreciate if somebody can at least give me a clue for the delayed starting issue. :unsure:

Dear Experts,

Description:

What I did so far:

There were few other customers were there experiencing the same issue. I got one of their contact numbers and they also told me the same thing. There is no improvement even after taking it to Toyota.

How about the petrol filter? has that been replaced?

I hate to say this but I suspect the pump is not running as usual and causing the pressure drop in the injector rail provided that you have replaced the pressure regulator. Did you remove all petrol (contaminated stuff) in the tank and ran the car with a tank full of 95 octane ? Source a test pump if possible and run the vehicle using that pump and see whether the issue persists. That way, you can be sure it's due to the pump or something else in the fuel feed circuit.

Is the fuel pressure issue now resolved after the replacement of the pressure regulator unit ?

Hi Don,

Yes. Now the fuel line pressure is ok. They check it with a pressure gauge and as soon as when you push the engine start button, pressure is increasing to 3.3bar. But it slowly drops to 2.8 - 2.9 after 10 mins. Toyota technician said it is ok. With the original pressure regulator, pressure dropped to 1.0bar rapidly. Thats why they asked me to change it. But no use it seems.

Hey Don this guy's got 2 threads on this matter.I thinks the mods will have to do something

Hi CyRaX,

Sorry about multiple threads. I'm desperately looking for an answer for the above stated issue.

Cheers..

How about the petrol filter? has that been replaced?

I hate to say this but I suspect the pump is not running as usual and causing the pressure drop in the injector rail provided that you have replaced the pressure regulator. Did you remove all petrol (contaminated stuff) in the tank and ran the car with a tank full of 95 octane ? Source a test pump if possible and run the vehicle using that pump and see whether the issue persists. That way, you can be sure it's due to the pump or something else in the fuel feed circuit.

Hi Harshan,

Thank you for the reply.

I consumed all 90 Oct petrol before cleaning the injectors and then pumped 95 Oct fuel full tank. I also added Wurth Injector cleaning fluid to the tank.

Nope, I did not change the petrol filter. I checked the inside of the tank and there was no presence of any foreign matter.

It is difficult to find a test pump mate. But I also suspect the fuel pump. So going to see another EFI technician in the Piliyandala area on Wednesday.

If it is something to do with the fuel feed circuit, it should have been indicated in the computer terminal. Did not notice anything like that. With my understanding, the chances are very low to damage the fuel feed circuit due to contaminated petrol. In fact I met several other customers with the same issue at Toyota. Toyota has asked one of them to replace the fuel pump. But they dont have any facts to back that decision. They have asked him to replace the fuel pump and see..Just like they asked us to change the fuel pressure regulator. :P . I could have done that If I was a millionaire or son of a SL minister.. :(

When I read this stuff I feel like killing all those who imported this shit

No point of talking about it.

Today I handed over all my bills to CPC at Rotunda tower. I saw there was a huge pile of complaint letters on that officer's desk. I asked whether they are actually plans to compensate the customers. Then one officer said, you have to ask it from the minister...Sigh... God bless us all... :action-smiley-060:

if it's push start

put it into a position where it illuminates (press button without the brake pedal)

leave it for 2-3 sec's and start that's the best way to start these vehicles

The sensors analyze a lot of things in the car it will take time if an error is coming round the corner, yet untill it fails it won't be noticed by the computer at the company,

So it is advisable not to take it for late night runs till the problem is 100% solved

if it's push start

put it into a position where it illuminates (press button without the brake pedal)

leave it for 2-3 sec's and start that's the best way to start these vehicles

The sensors analyze a lot of things in the car it will take time if an error is coming round the corner, yet untill it fails it won't be noticed by the computer at the company,

So it is advisable not to take it for late night runs till the problem is 100% solved

Thank you for the advise.. But I'm just trying to find the cause and fix it before it get worse. Appreciate if you could help me to figure out the reason for the delayed start.

Thank you for the advise.. But I'm just trying to find the cause and fix it before it get worse. Appreciate if you could help me to figure out the reason for the delayed start.

one more tip. Before the morning cold start, where your starting delay occurs do following.

Switch on the ignition, listen for the fuel pump sound, where it initally pressurizes the lines and after pump stops working, switch the ignition off. Leave for few seconds, switch it on again, and switch off after pump stops working. Do this about three times and then crank the engine to see whether it starts instantly. If it starts instantly, there's a 99% probability that your starting delay is due to a weak petrol pump. hope this helps.

one more tip. Before the morning cold start, where your starting delay occurs do following.

Switch on the ignition, listen for the fuel pump sound, where it initally pressurizes the lines and after pump stops working, switch the ignition off. Leave for few seconds, switch it on again, and switch off after pump stops working. Do this about three times and then crank the engine to see whether it starts instantly. If it starts instantly, there's a 99% probability that your starting delay is due to a weak petrol pump. hope this helps.

Well..I tried something like this, today morning I pushed the start button without the brake pedal and left it for few seconds and started the engine and it started instantly. This is the second time I tried this. And it worked. I tried to listen to the Fuel pump sound and unable to notice any sound. Certainly I will try your method and see whether it works or not. Thanks for the tip

Harsha,

I tried this few seconds ago...Bad luck...Still the issue is there.. :(

Harsha,

I tried this few seconds ago...Bad luck...Still the issue is there.. :(

This leaves the doubts I had on the fuel pump to a greater extend but I don't have any other suspect in this scenario.

If I was you, I would've demanded the agent saying the pressure regulator replacement didn't solve the issue, hence theyve done an unwanted repair and would ask them to prove their point that the issue will be sorted out by replacing the pump.

Edited by harshansenadhir

This leaves the doubts I had on the fuel pump to a greater extend but I don't have any other suspect in this scenario.

If I was you, I would've demanded the agent saying the pressure regulator replacement didn't solve the issue, hence theyve done an unwanted repair and would ask them to prove their point that the issue will be sorted out by replacing the pump.

Thank you for your feedback. We informed the same to Toyota Lanka. Then they asked me to bring the vehicle again. I'm not confident enough to take back my vehicle to them. I'm going to see a technician called Sarath @ Piliyandala tomorrow. Sometime ago he managed to diagnose and fix an issue in my PR11 fuel pump. I just want to identify where the problem is...Thank you once again for your reply...

Thank you for your feedback. We informed the same to Toyota Lanka. Then they asked me to bring the vehicle again. I'm not confident enough to take back my vehicle to them. I'm going to see a technician called Sarath @ Piliyandala tomorrow. Sometime ago he managed to diagnose and fix an issue in my PR11 fuel pump. I just want to identify where the problem is...Thank you once again for your reply...

i donno this will help you but just want to add this idea too.. why dont you reset the ECU unit of your car. as i remember there is a specific sequence of ignition switch + break peddle combination.

Cheers! :alc:

Archon

i donno this will help you but just want to add this idea too.. why dont you reset the ECU unit of your car. as i remember there is a specific sequence of ignition switch + break peddle combination.

Cheers! :alc:

Archon

Agreed, But if you think logically there is no need for it. Coz, once you start the engine with this delay and turn off it and when you start it again within couple of seconds it starts instantly. In fact this issue persists with few other Yaris, Axio owners. They are experiencing this issue after consuming contaminated petrol. So I suspect the Fuel Pump. But surely i'll keep your suggestion in my mind. Will try that also. many thanks..

i think this has the same engine as the premio 260

well the toyota fuel pump doesn't fail easyly as the other brand ,

this is to the disadvantage because the bad stuff accumulate in the engine part

i suspect these problems in most toyotas are due to this problem.

good decision to stay away from the t*yota l*nka they no nothing but to rip u off

No point of talking about it.

Today I handed over all my bills to CPC at Rotunda tower. I saw there was a huge pile of complaint letters on that officer's desk. I asked whether they are actually plans to compensate the customers. Then one officer said, you have to ask it from the minister...Sigh... God bless us all... :action-smiley-060:

And they say,its only the three-wheel buggers and motorcyclist who had complained . :violent-smiley-009:

Chulanga,

why don't you connect a scanner and clear all the codes first and try. issue must be due to this i believe. for the cold start ECU checks for errors and second time i think it bypasses. or Try to reset (Battery disconnect) and see?

Edited by Ruslan

Chulanga,

why don't you connect a scanner and clear all the codes first and try. issue must be due to this i believe. for the cold start ECU checks for errors and second time i think it bypasses. or Try to reset (Battery disconnect) and see?

Hi Ruslan,

I cleared out all error codes using the terminal back at Toyo.Lanka. Still no progress. Looks like many Yaris owners also facing this issue. Google for "yaris slow engine start" at Yarisworld.com . I dont know whether this is a normal condition or not. Unfortunately nobody is aware of the real cause. Will update you all as soon as I find something useful.

Chulanga,

Dear all,

Problems is with the Injectors.

"http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54982"

One of my friends, who owns a Yaris had the same problem and changed the injectors today and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1