• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Virs Or Manual V-Tec

TheClutch

few?? not a single conversion anymore..all the converted ones were done couple of years ago. no one would undertake a conversion project like this nowadays. this is not a simple plug and play conversion from auto to manual. you need the ECU, wireharness, shifter related parts and many more..may be the guys in KL malaysia could do a complete conversion since they still source half cut civics.

Sure about that? You dont need to match Ek parts directly- Other than the pressure plate and clutch wheel most parts from an old EG can be used to do the manual conversion. In fact given a choice I'd take the EG conversion over the Ek ;)

Sure about that? You dont need to match Ek parts directly- Other than the pressure plate and clutch wheel most parts from an old EG can be used to do the manual conversion. In fact given a choice I'd take the EG conversion over the Ek ;)

yeah, eg's S20 manual gearbox with a ek would be an ideal conversion than the ek's S40 manual tranny. but you need to get rid of the ecu wich controls the vtec dynamics and cvt gearbox and get hold on to a manual vtec ecu. how is that? <_<

and if you end up with no error codes after the conversion, you would be really lucky.

yeah, eg's S20 manual gearbox with a ek would be an ideal conversion than the ek's S40 manual tranny. but you need to get rid of the ecu wich controls the vtec dynamics and cvt gearbox and get hold on to a manual vtec ecu. how is that? <_<

and if you end up with no error codes after the conversion, you would be really lucky.

Does Auto and Manual ECUs completely different to each other or is it mapping that makes the difference? Can't we remap the ECU?

I guess.. or you could just change the dizzy, use a OBD conversion harness and dump in an EG ECU and run a two stage setup

I guess.. or you could just change the dizzy, use a OBD conversion harness and dump in an EG ECU and run a two stage setup

in that case i wonder at what points the d15b comes in ek would switch to vtec. probably the EG ecu may also need to remap. but who would undertake all these risks apart from someone like you and me :D

or else could use a OEM ecu like spoon or hondata.

Nope you cant reprogram the VIRS generation OBD2 ECU

96 to 98 eks ECU was just for engine management and for the CVT gearbox it had a separate controller. but 99 onwards both drive train and power train is controlled by a single OBD2 ECU.it was a rather complex ECU for that generation.

in that case i wonder at what points the d15b comes in ek would switch to vtec. probably the EG ecu may also need to remap. but who would undertake all these risks apart from someone like you and me :D

or else could use a OEM ecu like spoon or hondata.

lol wonder no more :) since the EG ECU is reprogrammable you have nothing to worry about in terms of the vtec on points. you will only loose out on the 12 valve mode. Come come you should know how 'cheap' it is to get an EG chipped :) and theres no risk since its been done a countless times

lol wonder no more :) since the EG ECU is reprogrammable you have nothing to worry about in terms of the vtec on points. you will only loose out on the 12 valve mode. Come come you should know how 'cheap' it is to get an EG chipped :) and theres no risk since its been done a countless times

Instead of EG ECU, can't someone go for 96-98 EK3 ECU. So they wont miss the Economy part of the 3 stage VTEC. The 12 valve mode is really good feture. It will give significant (2/3Kmpl on average) fuel saving without compromizing on performance.

Else as stated earlier for someone with screwed up Multimatic transmission, an after market ECU and a manual gear box would be a better option.

Edited by MkX

Instead of EG ECU, can't someone go for 96-98 EK3 ECU. So they wont miss the Economy part of the 3 stage VTEC. The 12 valve mode is really good feture. It will give significant (2/3Kmpl on average) fuel saving without compromizing on performance.

Else as stated earlier for someone with screwed up Multimatic transmission, an after market ECU and a manual gear box would be a better option.

You probably mean the 95-97 EK ECU, while its a different ECU from the 98-00 version it too is OBD2 (OBD2A i think verses OBD2B in the next model) - and therefore cannot be reprogrammed.

You probably mean the 95-97 EK ECU, while its a different ECU from the 98-00 version it too is OBD2 (OBD2A i think verses OBD2B in the next model) - and therefore cannot be reprogrammed.

Ok got it. But still if you go for manual gear box (EK3 Vi) + ECU(OBD2A), it will be equal to 96-98(95-97) EK3-Vi. Only difference is that you got ViRS body. So you almost get 95% of what you have in ViRS. And you get benifits of 3 stage VTEC.

Ok got it. But still if you go for manual gear box (EK3 Vi) + ECU(OBD2A), it will be equal to 96-98(95-97) EK3-Vi. Only difference is that you got ViRS body. So you almost get 95% of what you have in ViRS. And you get benifits of 3 stage VTEC.

Well yeah its the same engine and gear box- but ViRS does have a significant more options other than just the 'body'

Well yeah its the same engine and gear box- but ViRS does have a significant more options other than just the 'body'

Options??? Does the options refers 4 disk breaks, climate control A/C and stuff? If so in given context, car will not loose any of those options.

However i've heard the fuel:air map of ViRS is more biased towards performance compare to normal Vi. So fuel map will be affected. But the functionality econo/sports switch can be achieved through your gear changing pattern? i.e maintain high RPM all the time or just change gears around 2200 - 25000 and maintain average around 2000. I guess if given the options, still better-off going for Vi ECU + gear box, instead of EG series ECU.

If there are other performance related options in ViRS you will loose them in both early EK series and EG series ECUs anyway.

Dude the engines are the same- I really dont think there is much of performance difference between the ViRS and Vi in manual trim. Auto maybe

yes, agreed.hardly any performance variance between the two. Vi can keep up with a RS without any extra effort.

Edited by evergreen

• 1 month later...

Guys found a good shaped Vi 1996 model..owner is asking 1.625Mn ..running is ok..but couldnt do a inspection with stafford coz the car is in central province...is it a good price..im looking to go for small mods with that like strut bar, straight through exhaust(presently it has a beat barrel),iridium plugs, and cone air filter..so it will cost around another 75k-90k is it a good price ???

Guys found a good shaped Vi 1996 model..owner is asking 1.625Mn ..running is ok..but couldnt do a inspection with stafford coz the car is in central province...is it a good price..im looking to go for small mods with that like strut bar, straight through exhaust(presently it has a beat barrel),iridium plugs, and cone air filter..so it will cost around another 75k-90k is it a good price ???

what is the reg number and it's a manual or auto?.

manual bro...301- but these days V-tecs are not coming for sale ...

considering how hard to find a ek3 vi these days on top of that manual one i say it's a good price and if you can try to talk down the price a little good luck fella. :)

Seems to be a good price bro.If u can make it 1.6m or less would be a good deal :) .Anyway make sure it's a Vi because I've come across people selling EXi version saying its Vi. :)