• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rough Start When Engine Is Hot?

GAPAUTO

Question

Hi, I have a lancer station wagon which has a 4G12 engine. Recently it gets hard to start when the engine is hot. When i run for around 10-15km and switch off and after 30min time if i try to start i would have to crank the engine for about 30-40 sec to fire it up. Pressing the gas pedal doesn't help either. I change the ignition kit (points, condenser) 4 months ago, and the Coil one week ago. If the engine it cold and sitting for even a week without starting, it will start at the first cranking. What can be the causes for this problem ?

3 answers to this question

Hi, I have a lancer station wagon which has a 4G12 engine. Recently it gets hard to start when the engine is hot. When i run for around 10-15km and switch off and after 30min time if i try to start i would have to crank the engine for about 30-40 sec to fire it up. Pressing the gas pedal doesn't help either. I change the ignition kit (points, condenser) 4 months ago, and the Coil one week ago. If the engine it cold and sitting for even a week without starting, it will start at the first cranking. What can be the causes for this problem ?

Either Fuel related OR Battery current issue OR heat sensor issue.

Check the head gasket

Edited by mnaka

This happened to me once and the culprit was found to be the starter motor. Everytime the car was hot, the pinion kept getting jammed. Since you have a manual tranny, when this happens next time, put the car on 3rd or 4th gear and move the car back and forth. If it works fine after that, then the most likely problem is there. Costs around 1000 bucks for the repair.

You have a carb engine, so it could also be a vapour lock. This can be solved by heat shielding the fuel lines.

As for battery, if the cold start is ok then the battery is generally ok

As for head gasket - you will have dozens of problems if the head gasket is blown. things like misfires, smoke etc.

Sensor issue is also unlikely. You probably have a very basic temperature sensor in your car

Just giving u a few ideas.

• Like 2