• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hard To Start

Uditha88

Question

This is regarding 1996 Nissan Presea EFI Automatic Trans. car,

It's hard to start sometimes. Have to crank about 3 times to get it started.(Not only in cool condition. In hot too. Sometimes works just in 1st try. But no pattern).

Running condition is 100% ok.

* So far, cleaned Injectors, Throttle Body & replaced Injector O' rings.

* Cleaned the fuel system with a bottle of Wu***

* Battery & charging system 100% ok.

No success.

NOTE:

* I pumped Petrol those days that these shit people distribute those. But had no issue until I did about 400 Km.

* Fuel tank has 1/4 of petrol pumped about 3 weeks ago(After confirming 90 octane is now ok)

* About 2 places (So called Experts) could not find the issue

* Only solution left according to My understanding is agent (AM*)

Want Expert Advices.

Thanks Friends..

17 answers to this question

This is regarding 1996 Nissan Presea EFI Automatic Trans. car,

It's hard to start sometimes. Have to crank about 3 times to get it started.(Not only in cool condition. In hot too. Sometimes works just in 1st try. But no pattern).

Running condition is 100% ok.

* So far, cleaned Injectors, Throttle Body & replaced Injector O' rings.

* Cleaned the fuel system with a bottle of Wu***

* Battery & charging system 100% ok.

No success.

NOTE:

* I pumped Petrol those days that these shit people distribute those. But had no issue until I did about 400 Km.

* Fuel tank has 1/4 of petrol pumped about 3 weeks ago(After confirming 90 octane is now ok)

* About 2 places (So called Experts) could not find the issue

* Only solution left according to My understanding is agent (AM*)

Want Expert Advices.

Thanks Friends..

Did you get the starter motor serviced?

Did you get the starter motor serviced?

Crosswind.

No I have not. Should I?

But you might see that i stated above it starts very fine sometimes like no issue @all.

So is it logical us to assume starter motor is culprit?

Advice??

Crosswind.

No I have not. Should I?

But you might see that i stated above it starts very fine sometimes like no issue @all.

Advice??

theres no rule that starter motor should always give trouble when its at fault. it may be working fine sometimes and may not work all the other time. i too feel the starter motor is the culprit.

theres no rule that starter motor should always give trouble when its at fault. it may be working fine sometimes and may not work all the other time. i too feel the starter motor is the culprit.

Hmm well is it?

Thanks evergreen.

I'll see the luck in it too..

Any other ideas friends?

Crosswind.

No I have not. Should I?

Advice??

If the engine doesn't crank it's likely a starter relay/motor problem. (Do you hear a "TAK" noise and then nothing)

The solenoid (relay) gets sticky after sometime due to our climate. When it doesn't start, try tapping the starter relay if it is in an easily accessible place. If it still doesn't start, try rocking/jerking the car.

Get the relay serviced and then check the starter motor.

If it does crank (engine trying to turnover)it could be a lot of reasons, including starter relay/motor problem.

GeNex

1 -> No "TAK" noise. Engine tries to crank

2 -> Ya. It does crank

:(

Look, it happened to me in the past. Sometimes, the engine cranked slowly for about 2 or 3 times and the car started. It happened despite the time of the day. Sometimes the car started fine. The electrical guy in the neighborhood took the starter motor out and checked. He found that the bushes surrounding the pinion is worn out (or wearing out). When that happens the engine cranks slowly but doesnt give a tak sound. After replacing the bush, I never faced the problem again.

Get it checked. Shouldn't cost you more than 1000. Do post the results here.

• Like 1

Look, it happened to me in the past. Sometimes, the engine cranked slowly for about 2 or 3 times and the car started. It happened despite the time of the day. Sometimes the car started fine. The electrical guy in the neighborhood took the starter motor out and checked. He found that the bushes surrounding the pinion is worn out (or wearing out). When that happens the engine cranks slowly but doesnt give a tak sound. After replacing the bush, I never faced the problem again.

Get it checked. Shouldn't cost you more than 1000. Do post the results here.

Great Help Crosswind !

Sure. I'll follow ur advice..

Friends,

I got Starter Motor serviced. According to the technician, it has no fault @all.

He said it's in original condition & never serviced too. All bushes were all right.

So he just cleaned carbon deposits & oiled it & fit again.

After that, no change in my original issue.

Please look the following patterns I have recognized.

1. Car is hard to start after it sits "engine OFF" for a period of time.

2. It starts when I hold the key in engine "ON" position for a little more time. (about 3-4 seconds)

3. If I try to start after few minutes of a successful start, it starts in 1st try without any issue.

Please help !

Friends,

I got Starter Motor serviced. According to the technician, it has no fault @all.

He said it's in original condition & never serviced too. All bushes were all right.

So he just cleaned carbon deposits & oiled it & fit again.

After that, no change in my original issue.

2. It starts when I hold the key in engine "ON" position for a little more time. (about 3-4 seconds)

3. If I try to start after few minutes of a successful start, it starts in 1st try without any issue.

Please help !

Pressure drop in fuel feed circuit. Either the fuel pump or pressure regulator valve could be at fault. Also make sure there's no leaks in the feed line which allows fuel to flow back.

• Like 1

Pressure drop in fuel feed circuit. Either the fuel pump or pressure regulator valve could be at fault. Also make sure there's no leaks in the feed line which allows fuel to flow back.

Hi Harshan,

The thing is once the fuel pressure was also checked & nothing suspected found..

Hi Harshan,

The thing is once the fuel pressure was also checked & nothing suspected found..

Did you check with a different fuel pump? Issue is it's taking sometime to achieve pressure in the line, thet's why it starts after you keep the key in ignition on position for a while. Till you sort it out make sure keep the key in ignition on position for a while before cranking or switch off and on again and keep in the ignition on position. Saves starter motor

• Like 1

Please help !

Did you check with a different fuel pump? Issue is it's taking sometime to achieve pressure in the line, thet's why it starts after you keep the key in ignition on position for a while. Till you sort it out make sure keep the key in ignition on position for a while before cranking or switch off and on again and keep in the ignition on position. Saves starter motor

@harshan - is this the same problem that you normally get in old diesels?

@harshan - is this the same problem that you normally get in old diesels?

This could happen in old or new diesels when there's a leak developed in feed circuit. From tubes or from hand pump or faulty filter housing. You have to crank more to get fuel to the pump or sometimes it won't start at all as pump find it's easy to suck air through the leak than diesel.

This pressure drop can happen in petrol vehicles due to weak fuel pump and faulty pressure regulator.

switch off and on again and keep in the ignition on position. Saves starter motor

Hi Harshan,

I got to know that in order to test a faulty fuel pump, do OFF & ON the ignition key several times & then crank. If it works, culprit is the fuel pump.

So I did try this already. But it didn't make any change. Still it was hard to start like the same.

So I decided that nothing wrong with the fuel pump.

Please tell whether I'm correct or not :(

Hi Harshan,

I got to know that in order to test a faulty fuel pump, do OFF & ON the ignition key several times & then crank. If it works, culprit is the fuel pump.

So I did try this already. But it didn't make any change. Still it was hard to start like the same.

So I decided that nothing wrong with the fuel pump.

Please tell whether I'm correct or not :(

You're correct in this and in fact that's the reason I asked you to switch off and on before cranking. But you have mentioned that "keeping the ignition at on position a while then it cranks will start it at once"'so I suspect it to be either pump or pressure regulator. On off has to be done like following

Switch on the ignition and you should hear the pump working and stops. Wait for the stop and switch off. Repeat this about three times and crank. If it stars the pump failed to pressurize the rail at first attempt

• Like 1

Switch on the ignition and you should hear the pump working and stops.

Hi Harshan,

I have been doing this as a practice for quite long time now.

Big help if you guys can tell me a good place that I can get the Fuel Pump, Pressure regulator checked & do the necessary fixes.

(Better a place which has good EFI Knowledge & instruments)

and preferbly around Malabe, Koswatta, Battaramulla.

[Pls message me if naming in public not possible]

Many Thanks!

Edited by Uditha88