• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Painting Bumpers

KITT

Question

My TERCEL is a brand new imported one in 1995, its bumpers are not coloured , just the material colour.But still the body is with its original paint(Red).So some people say if you coloured it now, it will not succesful and if someday it scratched ,the paint will continue to remove from the surface. Is it true? and what I should tell to the painter for a better finish?

12 answers to this question

My TERCEL is a brand new imported one in 1995, its bumpers are not coloured , just the material colour.But still the body is with its original paint(Red).So some people say if you coloured it now, it will not succesful and if someday it scratched ,the paint will continue to remove from the surface. Is it true? and what I should tell to the painter for a better finish?

that's nonsense. anyway the painting is done on top of a primer coat, not directly on the material. also when you get your bumpers scratched, in most cases you will have to get the whole thing repainted.

btw reading your post lead me thinking that you've never scratched your bumpers since 1995. that's weird! :blink:

It'll be better if you can find a set of bumpers that came originally coloured and then colour match it to your vehicle.. this is because the prepainted bumpers are covered in a special primer in the factory itself, therefore the paint tends to hold on to it better than the normal bumper. If you just colour your normal bumpers, with day to day running and vibrations the paint will crack and weather away in no time...

Edited by tiv

Just an idea but, here's another cheap option. If your bumpers are faded and all you want to do is to brighten things up, you could just hit them with a coat of primer and then black (gloss, satin, whatever you like). You can buy both in TOA cans and the whole job would be relatively inexpensive.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

that's nonsense. anyway the painting is done on top of a primer coat, not directly on the material. also when you get your bumpers scratched, in most cases you will have to get the whole thing repainted.

btw reading your post lead me thinking that you've never scratched your bumpers since 1995. that's weird! :blink:

since now he has mentioned and we he is going the scratch it soon lol biggrin.gif

Just an idea but, here's another cheap option. If your bumpers are faded and all you want to do is to brighten things up, you could just hit them with a coat of primer and then black (gloss, satin, whatever you like). You can buy both in TOA cans and the whole job would be relatively inexpensive.

The key here I think is to use plastic primer which most basses don't bother with. Also I think for bumpers he should stick with matt black not gloss unless the class is black as well.

The problem of painting the bumpers in an old car, specially one which is red is that the colour of the body would have faded over the years while the bumper might turn out to have deeper colour than the body. But you might be able to match the colour well ..