• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Connect A Boost Gauge On A Diesel?

tiv

Question

Hi friends,

guess the topic explains it all,

managed to find an old boost gauge lying around a friends place.. Just want to give a try hooking it up on my Hilux(2.5D4D)

Experts pls put in a word.. thanks

16 answers to this question

Hi TIV

if it is Mechanical it should be hooked to the manifold vacuum line and the other electric connection are straight forward, if it is electric you need extra gadget to read your vacuum pressure and signal it it the gauge as per my knowledge :).

thanks

regards

sumith

Hi TIV

if it is Mechanical it should be hooked to the manifold vacuum line and the other electric connection are straight forward, if it is electric you need extra gadget to read your vacuum pressure and signal it it the gauge as per my knowledge :).

thanks

regards

sumith

Thanks for the reply friend. Yea its an old mechanical one.. I know the basic wiring bits, wiring, acc, lights etc but the vacuum bit is

a bit hard to get around, guess I will have to seek mechanic assistance.. besides i'm still getting used to the hilux..

Motorcade

2500 upwards when I checked in jan

OT: Mate how's the pulling power on the 2.5 D4D? Didn't some of them come intercooler turbo and some with only turbo? I presume you have a stick shift. Import from thailand or england? care to share a word about ride quality, acceleration etc.

Edited by DevakaC

OT: Mate how's the pulling power on the 2.5 D4D? Didn't some of them come intercooler turbo and some with only turbo? I presume you have a stick shift. Import from thailand or england? care to share a word about ride quality, acceleration etc.

Mate I really love the pull, thats why I got it down on the first place and quite sufficient to outwit most diesels in the island, Yea its a 5 forward stick shift, Its manufactured in Thailand but imported from England therefore in UK spec. The engine is called 2KD-FTV

and has several variants; Turbo only or with Intercooler and there is also a model having a VN-Turbo (variable geometry)..

There is significant turbo lag though, but once it kicks in it pulls hard.. As for the ride its a bit bumpy but in all much better that older Hilux models in terms of headroom, legspace and ergonomics. Everything seems to be well built especially for a pickup truck.. Downsides are lot of electronics involved; cannot muck about with the electronics if you dunno what you are doing. I feel the ground clearance when stock is not that good (in the 4WD model). Guess thats about it..

There is a 3.0l model too with the 1KD engine (has about 50HP more I guess)

btw does way better on fuel, makes my Land rover look like a gas guzzler..

Edited by tiv
  • Like 2

Mate I really love the pull, thats why I got it down on the first place and quite sufficient to outwit most diesels in the island, Yea its a 5 forward stick shift, Its manufactured in Thailand but imported from England therefore in UK spec. The engine is called 2KD-FTV

and has several variants; Turbo only or with Intercooler and there is also a model having a VN-Turbo (variable geometry)..

There is significant turbo lag though, but once it kicks in it pulls hard.. As for the ride its a bit bumpy but in all much better that older Hilux models in terms of headroom, legspace and ergonomics. Everything seems to be well built especially for a pickup truck.. Downsides are lot of electronics involved; cannot muck about with the electronics if you dunno what you are doing. I feel the ground clearance when stock is not that good (in the 4WD model). Guess thats about it..

Wonderful review mate. You touched almost all aspects important. I'm yet to hear from somebody that's been let down by a Hilux. I personally prefer the UK spec myself for the lack of "Bling". The only concern I had was if the 2.5 would suffice for the truck, but now im convinced it does. Had an LN-85 50 Sri Hilux which too was a 2.5 N/A which took a couple of miles to pick up, but a solid piece of machine.

very nice review tiv thanks for sharing. :grinning-smiley-003:

I too have a 2kd-ftv hilux. I'm thinking of buying these. You may be interested in them too.

Relatively cheap piggyback type tuning box which boosts hp by increasing common rail pressure. I have read many positive reviews of this.

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Toyota-Hilux-VI-2-5-D-4D-4257-r.html

2yzai41.jpg

0-100 km/h 1KD-FTV with a Racechip Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfQ-CCtGbs

OBD-II Smart Gauge for Toyota Hilux Vigo. You can monitor turbo boost too with this device.

http://smartgauge.ecrater.com/p/4944281/obd-ii-smart-gauge-for-toyota

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smart-Gauge-OBD-Reader-Toyota-Vigo-Fortuner-Innova-/140439541614?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item20b2d9576e#ht_1052wt_1166

Display Live Data from ECU - Diesel Engine

1.Engine coolant temperature -ECT

2.Intake Air temperature -IAT

3.Battery voltage -BATT

4.Engine load -ECL

5.Barometric pressure-BARO

6.Manifold pressure-MAP

7.Mass Air Flow-MAF

8.Turbo boost pressure -TBP

9.KML

10.ACP

11.RPM

12.KMH)

13.Commonrail pressure -CRP

sopq1d.jpg

Useful link for you: :)

Hilux current models

Repair Manual

New Car Features (this one has many details of engine, lsd, diff lock, etc)

Electrical Wiring Diagram

Body Repair

Service Data Sheet

http://toyota.esealtd.com/toyota/hilux/index2.html

Edited by hyacc

a place to buy one? and aprox cost

'toyota sucks',

This Boost Gauge is a normal vacuum meter, which will read -30.Automobiles they have with a bulb.

This is very cheap meter can get at old moor street for under 1000.00. Rupees you can buy with rear attachment to fix same to the inlet manifold feeder tube.Meter dial 2inches up to 5 inches.Contact number is 242499 and request the cost of the Vacuum meter.

I still use them permanently fitted for all my Water pumps intake, very reliable way of testing water pumps suction. When I did Automobile Exhauster Vacuum Pumps. I used to test the vacuum build up performance of the repaired exhaust-er same meter connected to the system.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Wonderful review mate. You touched almost all aspects important. I'm yet to hear from somebody that's been let down by a Hilux. I personally prefer the UK spec myself for the lack of "Bling". The only concern I had was if the 2.5 would suffice for the truck, but now im convinced it does. Had an LN-85 50 Sri Hilux which too was a 2.5 N/A which took a couple of miles to pick up, but a solid piece of machine.

Thanks mate, Really hate the bling in the Thai models besides some of our natives tend to make it even worse.. Yeah the 2.5 is coping up very well.. They say the Hilux is an indestructible pickup and the most reliable vehicle in the world (Top Gear)..

very nice review tiv thanks for sharing. :grinning-smiley-003:

Thanks mate

Thanks found this very useful, gonna attempt this soon..

I too have a 2kd-ftv hilux. I'm thinking of buying these. You may be interested in them too.

Relatively cheap piggyback type tuning box which boosts hp by increasing common rail pressure. I have read many positive reviews of this.

http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Toyota-Hilux-VI-2-5-D-4D-4257-r.html

2yzai41.jpg

0-100 km/h 1KD-FTV with a Racechip Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZfQ-CCtGbs

OBD-II Smart Gauge for Toyota Hilux Vigo. You can monitor turbo boost too with this device.

http://smartgauge.ecrater.com/p/4944281/obd-ii-smart-gauge-for-toyota

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smart-Gauge-OBD-Reader-Toyota-Vigo-Fortuner-Innova-/140439541614?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item20b2d9576e#ht_1052wt_1166

Display Live Data from ECU - Diesel Engine

1.Engine coolant temperature -ECT

2.Intake Air temperature -IAT

3.Battery voltage -BATT

4.Engine load -ECL

5.Barometric pressure-BARO

6.Manifold pressure-MAP

7.Mass Air Flow-MAF

8.Turbo boost pressure -TBP

9.KML

10.ACP

11.RPM

12.KMH)

13.Commonrail pressure -CRP

sopq1d.jpg

Useful link for you: :)

Hilux current models

Repair Manual

New Car Features (this one has many details of engine, lsd, diff lock, etc)

Electrical Wiring Diagram

Body Repair

Service Data Sheet

http://toyota.esealtd.com/toyota/hilux/index2.html

Thanks for this link mate, nice to find a fellow owner.. To tell you the truth the toyota link is a treasure chest of information!

Edited by tiv

'toyota sucks',

This Boost Gauge is a normal vacuum meter, which will read -30.Automobiles they have with a bulb.

This is very cheap meter can get at old moor street for under 1000.00. Rupees you can buy with rear attachment to fix same to the inlet manifold feeder tube.Meter dial 2inches up to 5 inches.Contact number is 242499 and request the cost of the Vacuum meter.

I still use them permanently fitted for all my Water pumps intake, very reliable way of testing water pumps suction. When I did Automobile Exhauster Vacuum Pumps. I used to test the vacuum build up performance of the repaired exhaust-er same meter connected to the system.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr Sylvi actually a boost gauge is designed to show the pressure in the in manifold due to the turbocharger, therefore it has 2 zones

a negative (vacuum) zone and a positive (boost) zone. Therefore it is a different piece of equipment compared to the vacuum gauge which can even be installed in normally aspirated vehicles. I hope this makes things clear

Autometer%2045psi%20boost%20gauge.jpg

BOOST

K8AUM421.41.jpg

VACUUM

Edited by tiv

Mr Sylvi actually a boost gauge is designed to show the pressure in the in manifold due to the turbocharger, therefore it has 2 zones

a negative (vacuum) zone and a positive (boost) zone. Therefore it is a different piece of equipment compared to the vacuum gauge which can even be installed in normally aspirated vehicles. I hope this makes things clear

Autometer%2045psi%20boost%20gauge.jpg

BOOST

K8AUM421.41.jpg

VACUUM

'tiv',

Thank you for your post for correct information and educating me as well as others who read the post.

I thought this is only a vacuum intake reader. As this was there in old engines what you refer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

most older boost gauges do not need the wiring connected to read. they usually require the vacuume hose to be connected to the inlet manifold using an pre exsisting blanked off nipple or by placing a T piece into a vacuume line.

The wiring on an older gauge usually is just for the backing light.

On a newer gauge you usually have a seperate MAP sensor that reads the boost pressure just the same as your MAP sensor will for your ecu but it converts the signal purely for the gauge to read. some gauges have these on the back of the gauge so you just run a vacuume line to the back of it like you would on an older gauge and some have it on a wiring loom so it can be mounted in the engine bay.