• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Straighten Bent Areas Without Heating

frontwheel

Hello there!

My car met with an accident some time ago on the font left hand side and now I find that the left front wheel is a little behind the right wheel.

Consulted a few tinkering people and they all say have to heat and straighten it.

Is there any place or way to straighten this amuwen (without heating)?

Can I tie the left hand side to a strong tree with an equally strong chain and yank the vehicle

to straighten it out?

Any advice will be highly appreciated!

frontwheel,

Do you have a ordinary steel sheet pressed wheel or a alloy wheel.

Alloy wheels can be straightened there is a machine with Marcotec.They were having their work shop at Nawala I think the are no mote there,

If you go there, that was situated almost close to Nawala turn off to Narahenpita junction opposite a bakery. towards open university on the main road,

Will try to get the address as I will be visiting that side today to buy some bathroom fittings.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I think what frontwheel is trying to say is not that the alloy or the wheel is bent, but the left front wheel has gone back due to the impact. What I assume is your lower arm is bent and what they want you to do it heat it and get it straight ?

Err.... I would not advise you to try to do this by yourself by trying to yank this by tie to a tree. Thats just crazy and you could end up damaging the car more or yourself. Let me say it again " Dont try this at home"......

But you do have a solution and you have nothing to worry, as this damage was caused due to a accident. Which means you should be able to claim it from the insurance, so you could just replace the lower arm and any other connecting parts that may have got damaged. If its a genuine accident, you can claim and insurance is not only to repair dents.

Best you take to the agents and get a proper estimate of the real damage. It may also not be very safe to continue driving long distance with such an issue.

Lost my previous post..

Thanks carbon and sylvi too though I am not sure why you interpreted it wrongly

carbon, the accident happened some time ago and i think insurance it not an option now

but I need to get it fixed

I have heard that some tinkering basses do the tree yanking thing

anybody know of any such tree yankers or similar ?

I have also heard about a contraption called a "jig" that could straighten things out without heating?

Is this available in SL and how expensive is to get a job done on one?

Ha picard! You think you are the big know all here? For the record I am the one and only data!

A jig is sometimes used to straighten a bent chassis, but you need to establish exactly what is bent, the cost will depend a lot on that. Anyway most big garages will have one, that's why I said to first take it to the agents. Anyway its not possible to get 100% correct like it was made in the factory.

You don't want to give up this tree yanking idea, do you....... If all else fails you could still give it a try.

• Like 1

Good idea, if you're replacing the whole front lower suspension :D

Now that i think of it sounds like an ingenious idea.

Instead of just tying the left side he should tie the entire front axle with chains to a tree and pull the axle out, then straighten it "amuwen" and put it back by lining the axle with the tree and pushing the car into the tree and locking the axle into place again :to_pick_ones_nose3::sarcastic_hand:

i know a guy who try it and worsened his car more my advice is don't try it

btw if it's little behind the right wheel heat and straighten it dude it's the cheapest way no need to try tree yanking you can use jig if your car's chassis is bent and need straighten it good luck fella.

• Like 1

Yes NRX i will first try replacing the lower arm. I am really hopeful that it is not a chassis problem

Nexus, do you know of any place where they use a jig?? And the guy who did the tree yanking.. did he do it by himself or a somewhat experienced tinkering guy did it? And thanks for the kind words....

And I am surprised that some of you have not heard of this kind of tree yanking before

One tinkering guy specifically told me that he had done this kind of thing

may be it won't suit my particular case. nevertheless I have to say that such things are done with what I have heard, not simply coming up with a bizarre idea of my own..

Yes NRX i will first try replacing the lower arm. I am really hopeful that it is not a chassis problem

Nexus, do you know of any place where they use a jig?? And the guy who did the tree yanking.. did he do it by himself or a somewhat experienced tinkering guy did it? And thanks for the kind words....

And I am surprised that some of you have not heard of this kind of tree yanking before

One tinkering guy specifically told me that he had done this kind of thing

may be it won't suit my particular case. nevertheless I have to say that such things are done with what I have heard, not simply coming up with a bizarre idea of my own..

Dude seriously, how much is a lower arm ? I just wanted to know it, having a little problem with my car too :D

Edited by NRX

frontwheel,

Do you have a ordinary steel sheet pressed wheel or a alloy wheel.

Alloy wheels can be straightened there is a machine with Marcotec.They were having their work shop at Nawala I think the are no mote there,

If you go there, that was situated almost close to Nawala turn off to Narahenpita junction opposite a bakery. towards open university on the main road,

Will try to get the address as I will be visiting that side today to buy some bathroom fittings.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Macro is now in Boralesgamuwa I believe. I am not sure of the exact location.

You guys make fun of the OP's idea of tying the car to a tree and straighten the car, but that is EXACTLY how it was done in the good old days and still how its done in most body work places. You might have noticed that most garages in Sri Lanka don't have the hydraulic rigs required to straighten chassis damage. So what they do is to tie one end of the car to a tree or something strong with chains, tie the other end that needs to be straightened to another tree or something but with a pulley mechanism and slowly straighten the car out using pulleys.

And old car my dad had needed exactly the same treatment, as a previous collision had knocked the left wheel back a couple of inches and had not been repaired properly. The bass managed to get it just right so not even an electronic wheel alignment machine noticed the difference (it was when we went to align the front wheels the technicians alerted us to the problem).

Edited by The Don
  • Like 1

Ahhh!!! lieutenant commander data strikes again!

Thanks don for redeeming me..

But I have few doubts. when you one end of the vehicle was tied to a tree, it should have been a very strong point of the car right? Otherwise when the pulleys was used straighten the weakest point would get extended and not the intended place?

More importantly does this bass still work? where can I find him?

But I have few doubts. when you one end of the vehicle was tied to a tree, it should have been a very strong point of the car right? Otherwise when the pulleys was used straighten the weakest point would get extended and not the intended place?

More importantly does this bass still work? where can I find him?

Frontwheel, there are plenty of garages now with the afore mentioned hydraulic jigs and its best you go to one of them. The old methods carry quite a degree of risk, and requires skill and a lot of patience, something a lot of technicians these days do not have.

The bass we used probably still works but has moved away from Colombo (as in he is not at the garage he was before). What I mentioned happened over a decade ago!

Macro is now in Boralesgamuwa I believe. I am not sure of the exact location.

'The Don',

Yes you are correct. I went there they have divided that land and sold to sanitary fittings people.One time they did good business,owner was a ex employee, one Mr. Ratnayake at D*MO according to information I received yesterday.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Lost my previous post..

Thanks carbon and sylvi too though I am not sure why you interpreted it wrongly

carbon, the accident happened some time ago and i think insurance it not an option now

but I need to get it fixed

I have also heard about a contraption called a "jig" that could straighten things out without heating?

Is this available in SL and how expensive is to get a job done on one?

Ha picard! You think you are the big know all here? For the record I am the one and only data!

'frontwheel',

Please understand your first post was not a very clear post. so most members gave different opinions of theirs to your first post.

Please do not miss understand my post. You have got some Makabass advice to straighten your front wheel problem. As one member say you will end up with some more problems.

My advice is for you to go to a wheel alignment place like M/s. 'Nalaka'. Or to a reputed garage. First tell them exact problem what you have. Get them to examine and give you an a advice, get their expert opinion for your problem without wasting your valuable time by replying with different ideas by above said basset.

Some times you may have to change the arm, it will not be very costly. I once had a accident on one of my vehicles the front wheel arm cost me new rupees 4500.00 only. not only that the arm fixing chassis unit (Bracket) also needed some straightening which was done only by hammering no heating getting the exact position of the other side.

If you have a health problem do not go to a retreaded Hospital attendant, go to a qualified Doctor for correct treatment.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dude people here arnt making fun of you cause they dont know about this technique, people here are making fun of you cause you are like a caveman in modern times trying to rub two sticks together to make fire without using matchboxes or lighters.

Its just ridiculous to try something like this in modern times with all the technology available, but you just insist on using the caveman technique without using methods that have less risk which most of us find hilarious :speechless-smiley-004:

Edited by The Stig