• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Directions To Kaththankudi

trinity

you're most welcome, mate. when i worked back there the only thing i looked forward to was the drive to and from! once i passed an RX8 and a 350Z going at it in the habarana jungles. that was a sight. back when the carpet was still hot and wet, with no markings even. that was a proper racetrack!

you're spot-on about cars that have feelings: my civic never once had an issue while i did a good 30K clicks in it on these roads. and then i came home, and every time my GF asked to borrow the car for some errand... it would have an issue. thanks to her requests, i've replaced almost everything on that car! that was one jealous little bitch of a honda.

the cops once stopped me for doing 100 in a 70 zone. a few hundred meteres later, stopped again and the cop shows the gun readout to my passenger saying "60". not knowing this was a 50 zone, my friends honest reaction was "ithin? moko??" lol... that was 2 seconds of awkward silence i'll cherish forever!

I can only imagine the situ mate,,,, i've got caught only four times(including 2 in bati tour) for 34000kms of driving. The first thing i learnt is that easiest way is to accept your mistake (whether you are wrong or not) talk only what they want to hear from you. Few hundred bucks will save you from lot of hassle if you are far away from your home town..

Then again if you pay attention to the rules and drive carefully you will save lot of trouble, money and could get a good night sleep at the end of the day...

• 9 months later...

Hi guys...

I have to visit Jaffna peninsula during the latter part of November. This will be my first visit to Jaffna. Since your advices helped me a lot in my visit to Kattankudy last year, I thought to ask you guys for help this year also :)

I've been up to Kilinochchi in 2010 and the road was terrible few Kilometers after Vauniya. Infact it took me more than 4 hours to travel from Vauniya to Kili, a distance of 85 kms. There were potholes which could sink a car and i believe i was the only fool at that time to drive a car to that area. Never saw a single car during my 4 day visit there.

So, how are the roads now?? i've asked around and people say now its way better and not like those days. Guys, have anyone of you traveled to jaffna recently? whats the best route? (i'm starting from Kalutara) What i thought is to go via Puttalam, Anuradhapura, Vauniya and to Jaffna.

Appreciate your input greatly...

Cheers!!

Hi guys...

I have to visit Jaffna peninsula during the latter part of November. This will be my first visit to Jaffna. Since your advices helped me a lot in my visit to Kattankudy last year, I thought to ask you guys for help this year also :)

I've been up to Kilinochchi in 2010 and the road was terrible few Kilometers after Vauniya. Infact it took me more than 4 hours to travel from Vauniya to Kili, a distance of 85 kms. There were potholes which could sink a car and i believe i was the only fool at that time to drive a car to that area. Never saw a single car during my 4 day visit there.

So, how are the roads now?? i've asked around and people say now its way better and not like those days. Guys, have anyone of you traveled to jaffna recently? whats the best route? (i'm starting from Kalutara) What i thought is to go via Puttalam, Anuradhapura, Vauniya and to Jaffna.

Appreciate your input greatly...

Cheers!!

I'm surprised cos my dad made plenty of visits in a vios (driven by someone else) during that period (2010-2011). I once went in a van and the road was being done, but there were lot of 'wavy' streches of road which are not good.

I heard the roads are much better and manageable by car BUT, heard that some parts have been badly damaged due to the recent rains. (This was told from someone who travelled by bus during the rainy days), so you better check on that.

You route is the best route I think and preferred travel time is during night. Just get ahead of the hordes of buses and it will be a good drive.

Edited by NPP

I'm surprised cos my dad made plenty of visits in a vios (driven by someone else) during that period (2010-2011). I once went in a van and the road was being done, but there were lot of 'wavy' streches of road which are not good.

I heard the roads are much better and manageable by car BUT, heard that some parts have been badly damaged due to the recent rains. (This was told from someone who travelled by bus during the rainy days), so you better check on that.

You route is the best route I think and preferred travel time is during night. Just get ahead of the hordes of buses and it will be a good drive.

Just ask your dad how was the road beyond Vauniya back then, machan i went in night and it was raining as well,, most of the time had to drive in zig zag pattern to manage the potholes.. Glad about the fact that i was able to travel both ways without hitting undercarriage in the ground... :)

Thank you for the heads up about the rain and its effect on the road.. Will certainly check about it before taking my car there... :)

hi trinity, my appologies for the delay. forgot about this.

what he told me was there was some damage during the rainy days and as a result it took 4 hours for the bus to pass a stretch beyond omanthai which usually takes around 2 hours. so it could be worse for cars.

This is not first hand experience so I cannot tell in my own words. It's unlikely that the road is repaired so soon either.

Edited by NPP

hi trinity, my appologies for the delay. forgot about this.

what he told me was there was some damage during the rainy days and as a result it took 4 hours for the bus to pass a stretch beyond omanthai which usually takes around 2 hours. so it could be worse for cars.

This is not first hand experience so I cannot tell in my own words. It's unlikely that the road is repaired so soon either.

Hi NPP

Thanks for the info machan... Seems our members have not traveled to that area recently.. Waiting for any sort of information that could help me during the tour..

Ripper, VVTi, Komi , Mini anyone??? :)

Machang, why don't you call the AA. Or ask the those bus drivers who drive there daily, normally parked at the end of Marine Drive. They might be able to give you a heads up.

Does AA provide services like that?? Anyways its worth the try ne.. will ring them up. As for the Marine Drive, i travel to office by good old train machan, I'll give it a try if i visit colombo during the weekend.

Thanks mate... :)

The Marine Drive bus stop is for the Colombo-Jaffna buses, so you will get the most accurate info from them. AA will at least have a road condition report. But after the rains of the last few weeks, not sure how they are now though.

Members,

Delay in reply was, I was unable to contact relevant authorities in RDA at Battharamulla. Who are responsible for redevelopment of the devastated A9 road.

RDA Office all authorities on meeting at last I was able to contact the correct person after 3 PM and he was kind enough to give me all detail as below.

http://www.rome2rio....ulama-Sri-Lanka

This section of road is not carpeted . Under construction.

http://www.rome2rio....nka/Kilinochchi

This section of road is not carpeted. Under construction.

http://www.rome2rio....-College-Jaffna

Please note the officer who gave me above information road is good, can be driven by a motor car without much difficulty.

All 3 above said sections are not more than 20 to 30 Kilo meters. Out of 200 KM from Rambawa to Jaffna.

I hope this post will gave some information about travailing to Jaffna.

RDA office contact number is 2871601 ,Director in charge is Mr,Gamini.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi
  • Like 1

Members,

Delay in reply was, I was unable to contact relevant authorities in RDA at Battharamulla. Who are responsible for redevelopment of the devastated A9 road.

RDA Office all authorities on meeting at last I was able to contact the correct person after 3 PM and he was kind enough to give me all detail as below.

Please note the officer who gave me above information rode is can be driven by a motor car without much difficulty.

All 3 above said sections are not more than 20 to 30 Kilo meters. Out of 200 KM from Rambawa to Jaffna.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi Sylvi

Thank you so much for taking extra effort to find the information needed. Really appreciate it. this is real good info. I'll be leaving on 20th Nov. Will keep you guys posted of any infomation that i gather until such date.

Again Thank you very much for the support.

Cheers!!

Well, if you'd like an alternate route I'd suggest you FIND OUT what the condition of the A32 is now. It is the Mannar - Navatkuli road via Pooneryn (http://www.asiantribune.com/files/images/map%20of%20mannar2.jpg) . I went on it about a year back and it was the worst road I've ever travelled on (with some of the saddest sites on either side as well) but I hear the work has been progressing on that and so might be worth looking in to. Once it is complete it will significantly cut down travel time to Jaffna. Even with the condition, I managed to get there much faster than someone who took the A9 at the same time. However, at the time only a 4WD could've made it through most of it (think of 3 to 4 hours on basically a mud track) without at least some internal damage. Not a road to take a car you love; but if it's been fixed, well worth it.

Thank you Sylvi

God willing Im also planning a road trip there

How about Colombo - Wennapuwa- A'pura route? i have not done that so cant say much

Say if im leaving early morning which is better Colombo Damabulla Jaffna or the Puttalam road?

also any members who have done the route please let me know about good tasty food joints,im not asking for fancy joints but hygenic places with authentic food and places where I can buy mangoes/jack fruit ,curd or local delicacies

Members,

Please note the officer who gave me above information road is good, can be driven by a motor car without much difficulty.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'SeanD',

Yes you are correct the time will be much short to travel to jafna. I have been on this road not from Mannar. It was in early 1970s turning from to right hand side Murunkan jungle track joining A32 road going along Yoda weva banks. That was real experience going through jungle, jeep track during dry weather. I should have some pictures taken on that trip.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

carboy2011, trinity.

Any one wants to go to Jafna best Colombo Puttlam Anuradapura then Jafna road to Jafna

USE THE LINK BELOW FILL THE STARTING POINT FIRST BOX THEN THE DESTINATION ON THE SECOND BOX YOU WILL GET ALL INFORMATION ON ANY COUNTRY INCLUDING S L. Towns.

http://www.rome2rio.com/html/about.html

Better use the road in stages

That means first Colombo to Puttlam .

Second from puttlam to Anuradapura.

Third Anuradapurs to Jafna.

You will get the number of kilometers and the time.for the trip.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

carboy2011, trinity.

Any one wants to go to Jafna best Colombo Puttlam Anuradapura then Jafna road to Jafna

USE THE LINK BELOW FILL THE STARTING POINT FIRST BOX THEN THE DESTINATION ON THE SECOND BOX YOU WILL GET ALL INFORMATION ON ANY COUNTRY INCLUDING S L. Towns.

http://www.rome2rio....html/about.html

Better use the road in stages

That means first Colombo to Puttlam .

Second from puttlam to Anuradapura.

Third Anuradapurs to Jafna.

You will get the number of kilometers and the time.for the trip.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thank you Sylvi... your support is much appreciated and really helpful... :)